Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Quake III Arena (ioquake3)

Are you a bad enough dude to play Quake III Arena?

Original post by [iT]~~t0b1ix~~, additional content by [iT]~~wr3stlev4ni5~~

Server address: idlequake.com

Some of us are planning to play some ioquake3 matches at some point. Depending on how many are interested, it may become a regular/semi-regular thing.

Quake III? What's that?

Quake III Arena, or Quake III, or Quake 3, or Q3A, or Q3, is probably the finest first person arena shooter in the world. It's fast-paced, it's perfectly balanced and it will run buttery smooth on your shitty old computer, no matter the OS. It's the best thing John Carmack has done since whatever he'll be doing with the Oculus Rift. Basically you run and jump around a sweet level, collecting cool weapons, ammunition and power-ups, trying to shoot everyone else while avoiding being shot.

Man, that sounds super cool! How do I join in this fun game?

First of all, you'll also need the data files from the original game. A popular way of getting those is owning the original game, which you can buy on Steam for a ridiculous price. Anyway, ioquake3 is pretty easy to install (once you understand the process)...

So how do I install on my personal Windows computer?

1. Download and install the ioquake3 engine—make sure you install for all users if Windows asks, otherwise the patcher [step 3] won't work.
  2. Copy all the .pk3 files from your original Quake III Arena's baseq3 folder into ioquake3's baseq3 folder.
  3. Download the ioquake3 Data Installer and run it to get the latest updates from id; ioquake3 will throw an error on load if it's not up-to-date!

I'm more of a Mac guy. I bet there are fewer steps for me!

You only need to download and run the usual DMG file from the ioquake3 website, then copy just your original game's pak0.pk3 file into:

Applications >  ioquake3 > baseq3.

lol I'm on Linux

Who am I kidding? You'll have it installed before you even read this far.

Oh sweet, your instructions worked! I'm ready to fully optimize my game!

In addition to the above install instructions, here are some super-handy console commands I cribbed from that toblix fellow. These will help you get the most from the game on modern hardware.

To open the console, simply run the game and then hit ~ (tilde) on Windows or this thing § on a Mac — both are often in the top-left of your keyboard. Note that you can hit the Tab key to auto-complete commands:

\r_mode -1
\r_customwidth "1920"
\r_customheight "1080"
\r_customaspect "1"
\com_maxfps "125"
\cg_fov "82"
\vid_restart

I'm reliably informed that the maxfps setting is particularly noteworthy, as it actually impacts the physics within the game engine. Setting it to the magic 125 allows you to jump that bit higher and further, though mind your head.

[complete list of Quake III Arena console commands]

[

]

I'm not here Wednesday.

Well, Wednesdays is currently the great Diablo ThReplay (from which you will be missed). So maybe we could do Thursdays?

Isn't that the most famous UT map of all time? It's the one I remember best anyway.

Prepare for trackball annihilation. In that I will be annihilated because I'm playing with a trackball.

82 degree FoV is insanely low in Q3, it's even less than the default! I usually roll with 110-120.

Also, what about CPMA? Yeah it's a few more steps in the installation, but basic VQ3 feels kinda ancient. There are a lot of features you take for granted missing. Plus all the great gamemode like CA!

Lu plays with a dead man switch and a track ball. Don't Mess With Him.

Lu plays with a dead man switch and a track ball. Don't Mess With Him.

Yeah, gotta watch ol' Deadballs Lu.

82 degree FoV is insanely low in Q3, it's even less than the default! I usually roll with 110-120.

Also, what about CPMA? Yeah it's a few more steps in the installation, but basic VQ3 feels kinda ancient. There are a lot of features you take for granted missing. Plus all the great gamemode like CA!

Well, that's very easily fixed. I get motion sickness if the view angle in shooters is too wide.   <_<

These were just example possible values, excepting that whacky maxfps thing (everyone should do that). I must confess to having not actually tried them in-game, I was just excited to get things rolling here so people would hopefully join in.  :getmecoat

Hmm, it wasn't like that for me. Maybe there's something wrong with you?

It's some Windows 8.1 issue or something. So if you're mouse is all weird (you'll know it), try seta in_mouse "-1" in the config file or I don't even exactly know in the console, maybe just in_mouse "-1".

I'm now likely going to miss tonight's session due to unexpected family stuff (nothing sinister, just indefinitely time-consuming).

But it's in the Steam Calendar for 8pm GMT—hope lots of you can make it!

I leave you all in the capable hands of young toblix...

I have this on steam!  If I'm around when everyone is telefragging through the stars I'll pop in.  I could go for some Quake III.

Looking forward to seeing the video(s)!

Sorry I couldn't make it. I actually ended up working late in the end, missing the family stuff I had planned anyway.  :violin:

When I did finish, a friend had just bought Titanfall so I was showing her around that for a little bit. Was too burned out for something frantic like Q3A.