Sign in to follow this  
tegan

The Threat of Dig Dug: Talkin' About Arcade Games

So as mentioned elsewhere, I'm building a MAME cabinet this summer. It's a project that I've been thinking about for several years now, and I think it's finally about time I did it. Right now I'm mostly focused on just getting it together, but sooner or later I'm gonna' have to start thinking about what to put on it, so I thought I'd use the opportunity to get an arcade game recommendation and discussion started.

Also, I'm by myself 99% of the time and don't have many friends who are good at games. Right now I just want to build a one-player cabinet, but are there any really crazy two-player things I might miss out on if I do?

PS: I've been saving that thread title for like a year.

PS: I've been saving that thread title for like a year.

Came here only to compliment it.

Robotron 2048, the granddaddy of twin-stick shooters, is my favourite arcade game ever. It's a single player game, but it uses a two-player cabinet because of the whole twin sticks thing.

Smash TV. It's the ultimate bestselling young adult dystopian fiction series, as seen through the lens of Schwarzenegger movies, seen through the lens of Stephen King's dark alter ego. Lit by faux cathode ray tube scanlines.

I keep thinking that Spelunky would make an excellent cabinet-game.

I would love to see people create arcade cabinet artwork for games like Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, etc.  Custom vinyl decals that could be applied for whichever game you wanted to feature?

And Tegan, an arcade cabinet is such a conversation piece that you might want to create a two player cabinet just to encourage more people to play it.

Then again, I'm a guy who bought additional Xbox 360 and Wii controllers that were never used even once.

For some reason I really like Tapper. It isn't a good game by any means, but I really like it as an arcade cabinet. 

Also, if I had the space for an arcade cabinet, I'd want to make one of these. It's like MAME but for awesome local co-op focused indie games!

As a birthday gift for myself, I bought a Space Invaders Deluxe cabinet when I was just starting graduate school. It was entirely working, and the guy who sold it to me (for only $300!) threw in the Space Invaders boards that I could swap out if I wanted to play the other version. It's a pretty simple arcade cabinet as far as they go, but it was really fun to have around, and a simple arcade cabinet is a killer when you throw parties. Unfortunately, when I moved across country a few years ago, I had to leave it with my parents (it wouldn't have survived the trip), so it's sitting in a garage in California at the moment. It's a pretty cabinet, and looked great in my apartment besides being a fun high-score competition for my friends and I.

I cut my teeth in quite a few arcades growing up, and was lucky enough to live near a few great nickel arcades when I was in high school. It's neat that Sean discussed Sunset Riders on the podcast, since that's one of my all time favorites. I wonder if MAME+Kaillera servers are still a thing? Nothing beats pizza smell + loud arcade noises + a roll of quarters and the determination to beat an arcade game with some friends, however. I'm currently pretty close to the World's Largest Arcade, which I've gone to a few times, although it's a good hours drive away. ALL IN ALL, ARCADES/ARCADE GAMES ARE NEAT

I keep thinking that Spelunky would make an excellent cabinet-game.

I want to keep it simple, but I've actually been thinking of adding some low-spec modern arcade-style games like Pac-Man CE DX+ and Super Hexagon. Spelunky HD wouldn't run, but maybe original Spelunky would.

I want to keep it simple, but I've actually been thinking of adding some low-spec modern arcade-style games like Pac-Man CE DX+ and Super Hexagon. Spelunky HD wouldn't run, but maybe original Spelunky would.

Even Spelunky HD has pretty low specs, I can't think that the hardware cost to run it would be terrible different than hardware that wouldn't run it. 

Of course I haven't looked at building a cabinet in years.  My problem in thinking about it was always hardware bloat.  I would start with a simple plan, and then keep talking myself into upgrades that would ultimately result in me giving up.  Plus I always figured on a 2 player cabinet at the minimum.  I couldn't have something like that and not be able to play 2 person Joust.

Are you thinking a 4 way joystick or an 8 way?

8-way. From what I gather 4-way's only really useful in a few cases.

Even Spelunky HD has pretty low specs, I can't think that the hardware cost to run it would be terrible different than hardware that wouldn't run it.

The fog that the ghost and restless dead levels summon used to cause slowdown in my desktop with my old graphics card. I'm thinking of using the guts from my old laptop, which is even older than my desktop.

The fog that the ghost and restless dead levels summon used to cause slowdown in my desktop with my old graphics card. I'm thinking of using the guts from my old laptop, which is even older than my desktop.

Ah, that makes more sense if you're using an existing laptop. 

I might build a cheap mini PC, but in any case I don't want to have to buy a good graphics card for just one game (that I already own on PS3, Vita, and PC).

What kind of games do you like?

I basically grew up in arcades. Like, going to the arcade nearly every day for a decade. I could suggest hundreds of games from different genres and eras. The question is so wide open...uh...UN Squadron? Magician Lord? Klax?

I NEED MORE GUIDANCE!

I would say that to me building a 1-player cabinet would be a huge mistake. Arcades were a very social experience and a large number supported 2 or more players. What if a friend came over and was intrigued? They don't have to be good at games either, just pump in the credits. Arcade games are designed such that someone who doesn't know how to play can still join in and have fun.

There are a huge huge number of games that are better with 2 players. Multiplayer is fundamental to the experience for a lot of games and entire genres. At least leave enough space so that you can add a second stick later if needed.

I can just plug in a USB controller if I really want to do two players, you know. Or even better, buy or make a USB fight stick later on.

Here's a sample of things I'm considering putting on it, either through MAME, other emulators, or just installed directly: The Simpsons, X-Men, Donkey Kong (though I think this might require a 4-way stick) Mr Driller, Space Invaders 95, Sexy Parodius, Dig Dug, Neo Mr Do, Metal Slug, Butasan, ChuChu Rocket, Spelunky Classic, Pac-Man CE DX+, Super Hexagon. Maybe even put some DOS games on there too if I can get them to run properly in that environment...

If this works out, then someday I might make a second one with a racing wheel so that I can play some sick 90s arcade racers.

If you like Simpsons and X-Men you should consider Aliens vs Predator, The Punisher and other Capcom beat em ups. They definitely play better than their Konami counterparts. I also really like King of the Dragons, which is sort of a beat em up but a more methodical one. As well as Captain America and the Avengers.

If you like space invaders you should definitely include a Galaga. (Galaga 88 is my favorite)

I personally love old Irem and the games various staff worked on later. They have very distinct look that I love and consider basically the pinnacle of sprite art. These include R-Type and In The Hunt, as well as Last Resort, Metal Slug and various other Neo Geo games. So if you like Metal Slug in part for the art it's definitely worth it to look through a list of Irem and Irem-derived games.

Other random personal favorites of mine: (I'll leave off fighting games, as you are primarily interested in one-player games)

'Nam 75

Magician Lord

Gain Ground

Shinobi / Shadow Dancer

the aforementioned UN Squadron

Magic Sword

I'll also second Capcom beat 'em ups.  I really liked Aliens vs Predator and Captain Commando because of the unique characters.  Captain Commando in particular includes Mack the Knife (a knife wielding mummy), Ginzu the Ninja (a ninja of course), and Baby Head (a genius baby who pilots a mech of his own design).

If you're looking at putting the Simpsons or X-men on there, it's silly not to have at least 2P built in.

In addition to the Capcom brawlers, the Capcom D&D games (Shadow over Mystara, etc.) are great. Also, Armored Warriors, and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. (The CPS 2 era was really pretty amazing). Personally, I would also add Warriors of Fate, or even Knights of Valor, but those are hardly household names in the US.

I've never been a big fan of Metal Slug, personally, but I do love Shock Troopers to death (esp. 2nd Squad).

The alien vs predator beat um up is fantastic. Also Sunset riders is an absolute must!

I'm trying to think what else I used to play... Xmen vs street fighter with a keyboard :) the metal slug games. Toki

Based on my own collection of Mame games that I've had for a while, I'm going to recommend:

Windjammers, U.N. Squadron, Spy Hunter, Super Dodge Ball, Rampart, Marble Madness, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, or Ghosts 'n Goblins, Battletoads, Puzzle Bobble, Bubble Bobble, and Sunset Riders.