TychoCelchuuu

David Lynch's Josh Brolin's Campo Santo's Fire Watch With Me: A Motion Picture Event

I'm fairly skeptical about this.  I worry if it sticks too close to the game's format then we're literally only going to see one character the entire time which is difficult to pull off well in a movie.  On the other hand if it gets changed enough that its Firewatch: The Movie in name only then what's the point?  Honestly what I'd love to see is a side story of sorts.  Something that takes place in the Bioshock Gone Home Firewatch universe but isn't a retelling of the game, perhaps something involving Delilah, Ned, or Brian.

Will it be live action or animated movie? Will they really go to Shoshone National Park to film it to get the real location vistas?

I finished the game last night and liked it. The game is really pretty and the voice acting and script are a real pleasure. There was also an added glee to little touches in the game that, having listened to the podcast for so long, felt very Idle Thumbs.

However:

I just didn't like the denouement of the story with it being Ned fucking with them the whole time. I kind of wanted for there to be no conflict at all in terms of the conspiracy and the like. If it had just been about a couple of people working in the forrest, I think I would have preferred it.

Everything flowed brilliantly until the bit where you are looking for the strange noise - there are a number of strange noises happening in that area and I ended up wandering around for 20 minutes before I just went and looked it up on the Internet. I am glad I did because I never would have found the walkey talkey. I was wandering around in the lake investigating the sound of ducks or something.

I'm fairly skeptical about this.  I worry if it sticks too close to the game's format then we're literally only going to see one character the entire time which is difficult to pull off well in a movie.  On the other hand if it gets changed enough that its Firewatch: The Movie in name only then what's the point?  Honestly what I'd love to see is a side story of sorts.  Something that takes place in the Bioshock Gone Home Firewatch universe but isn't a retelling of the game, perhaps something involving Delilah, Ned, or Brian.

I don't know, I think if you assume that a good chunk of the intended audience for the movie is not people who played the game, then retreading Henry and Delilah's relationship is actually a pretty good structure for a movie.  You might only see one character most of the time, but you've got constant interaction with one or more characters.  And that's not even to say that you couldn't show Delilah throughout, in her tower and doing her thing.  I think she needs to be unseen and mysterious in the game, but in a movie it might actually make more sense to show both of them. 

I worry if it sticks too close to the game's format then we're literally only going to see one character the entire time which is difficult to pull off well in a movie.

My guess is that Henry's backstory, with Julia, will be portrayed in flashbacks throughout, instead of frontloaded as it is in the game.

The prologue was the part of the game that affected me the most, and perhaps in a movie where we're seeing the character from the outside, rather than being him, having it gradually revealed why he's out there in the woods might work better. Dunno.

ANYWAY, who do we want to see starring in this thing? :D I see the production company has worked on movies like Neighbors and The Night Before in the past. Hmm... perhaps it's time Seth Rogen took on a more serious role?  :)

Jeff Goldblum as Henry.

Jeff Goldblum as Henry, Delilah, shitty teens and Ned.  Fuckit, it's the all Jeff show.  It'll be a triumph.

I don't know, I think if you assume that a good chunk of the intended audience for the movie is not people who played the game, then retreading Henry and Delilah's relationship is actually a pretty good structure for a movie.  You might only see one character most of the time, but you've got constant interaction with one or more characters.  And that's not even to say that you couldn't show Delilah throughout, in her tower and doing her thing.  I think she needs to be unseen and mysterious in the game, but in a movie it might actually make more sense to show both of them.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be really easy to do it poorly, either by too rigidly sticking to the game or doing what most video game movies to and make up whatever they want with minimal relation to the source material.  That's why I'd like a side story.  It would give the opportunity to flush out existing characters more without being too beholden to the game.

Jeff Goldblum as Henry, Delilah, shitty teens and Ned.  Fuckit, it's the all Jeff show.  It'll be a triumph.

It'll be a director's cut of the movie, like Goldblum mode in Thirty Flights of Loving.

I think it will work great as a low budget but beautiful indie movie. Michelle Williams as Delilah, please.

If Seth Rogen is in it, I'm most likely skipping seeing it. Can't stand that guy's face or voice or his movies in general... :(

I like him! Last weekend I actually rewatched Green Hornet! For some reason!

I think he has the breezy attitude and effortless comedic delivery for the back-and-forth with Delilah. I don't know if he has the chops to portray Henry's darker moments, but I would love to see him try.

edit: also Nappi, where did you hear this rumor? It wasn't from me at the top of this page was it? Because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Haha.. It was just a joke.

(or was it?)

Sorry about that! And I missed you mentioning it too!

It would be a pretty cheap movie to make, right? One actor; one voice over actor; 3 extras (2 young women on the lake, shadowy figure shining its flashlight on you). Nature is your set. Most of the budget would probably go to special effects to make the fire work.

The feeling of being in the space was an important part of the experience, and movies almost never do that for me. Putting the focus on the story and interactions between the characters would bring the wrong things into focus. Hopefully they push this in an more experimental direction. Really long, quiet shots of the wind blowing through the trees, etc. "Wyoming is a character." LOL.

Maybe center it on the starting montage, and have the national forest bit only 30 minutes or so?

I think discussions of a film version really highlight how strange the plot for this game is.

I think discussions of a film version really highlight how strange the plot for this game is.

I had a similar thought.  I think the build up of weird, sci-fi conspiracy works well in a game because it's a subversion of something that games do too much of (though that trope certainly exists outside of games as well).  But I'm not sure that it works the same in a film if that specific part of the plot is used.

I like the idea of Seth Rogan in this but I'd also take Mike Birbiglia (Orange is The New Black's 'warden'), Anthony Star (Banshee's Hood) or David Harbour (Stranger Things cop) as leads; or you could do like an older Danny Glover as henry or one of the Two Dope Queens for Delilah; heck just cast both of them and have one of them play Henry's role.

Michael Shannon would make a nice Ned.

Actually Aziz Ansari would be a cool Henry.

Really long, quiet shots of the wind blowing through the trees, etc. "Wyoming is a character." LOL.

If they shot it kind of like The Revenant it'd be pretty great. Just as long as it wasnt all shots of clouds and god analogies like those ones were.

Ooooh, him. He does know how to make a movie exciting despite mainly focusing on just one character, so yes.

Has someone tampered with the title of this thread? It refers to Josh Brolin. According to RPS, Campo Santo partnered with Good Universe, the production company for ... the US version of Oldboy!

</conspiracy>

I personally feel it would be difficult to pull of a very direct translation to a movie. And kind of unnecessary. If this happens, I'd like something that was both true to the characters and the feel of the game.

With regards to casting, I want both Rich Sommer and Jeff Goldblum to play Henry. Either both at the same time, or that on the bluray you can seamlessly toggle between the two tracks.