TychoCelchuuu

David Lynch's Josh Brolin's Campo Santo's Fire Watch With Me: A Motion Picture Event

I guess when it comes to game prices for me, considering the massive backlog, basically it boils down to "Do I wish to/can I afford to play through a substantial part of this on day one?" and if the answer is no,I  just wait until I can actually can play it and then get it, which for me usually means a year late.

I did buy Alien Isolation, Metal Gear, and Project Cars on day one but it is very rare for me. I admit I have no time to play Firewatch right now. Maybe during the Christmass holyday. 

My guess is that when I actually purchase Firewatch it will be between 15-20 clams.

Well, in this case I'm buying it partially to support the developer so I plan on paying full price, but I generally only buy 4 games a year at release anymore, so I'm with you there.

Yeah, I'll buy this on release just to support awesome devs, which is probably the most common reason I buy a game on release anymore.  Based on my current assumptions/knowledge of the game, I'd be comfortable paying $25-$30 for it.

I don't see it being more than $40? I guess I'd have no problem paying up to $60 just on the strength of who's involved, but I don't think there are a heck of a lot of developers I'd do that for. $15 and under and I start buying extra copies for friends.

I'm expecting around $20. I'm not sure exactly what created that impression, but I'd guess it's a combination of graphical fidelity, being vaguely aware of the team size, and just the general price related narrative based games like Gone Home.

I think a lot of people will expect Firewatch to have a similar price point to gone home.

Gone home built by a team of 3-4 people out of Steves house

Firewatch built by 10-12 people out of an office in San Fransico + voice acting

I expect Firewatch cost close to 10x more than it took to create Gone home (maybe I'm over exaggerating, maybe not) should it be the same price...? Do people think or even care about the production cost.

I guess you pay the same for your cinema ticket to see transformers as you do a low budget indie.

Release it on Xbox One and I will definitely buy it.

Honestly, I am starting to feel like a complete Dinosaur with that console.

I like to buy full price, direct from the developers if possible, when the game grabs me. Given that I've enjoyed the podcast for several years now, this is one of the few projects where I would upgrade to a collector's edition, if any were made available.

Day One Perch!

At this point I feel like price is an expression of how much you want to support a group of creators (crossed with personal means, no judgement!). Almost all games cost $4.99 or $9.99 by major holidays, and show me the person who doesn't have enough computer games to last them 4-6 months!

Almost all games cost $4.99 or $9.99 by major holidays, and show me the person who doesn't have enough computer games to last them 4-6 months!

No probs. Just be picky and don't use Origin, Uplay and Steam.

Hello.

I think a lot of people will expect Firewatch to have a similar price point to gone home.

Gone home built by a team of 3-4 people out of Steves house

Firewatch built by 10-12 people out of an office in San Fransico + voice acting

I expect Firewatch cost close to 10x more than it took to create Gone home (maybe I'm over exaggerating, maybe not) should it be the same price...? Do people think or even care about the production cost.

I guess you pay the same for your cinema ticket to see transformers as you do a low budget indie.

Gone Home did have voice acting as well, but point taken. I feel that there's a pretty big gap between $20 and $40 and that a lot of games that land in between those two numbers have a tough time marketing themselves. I've been conditioned to think that $20 is about the maximum for "small team" games, while $40 is about the minimum for "large productions" such as Talos Principle.

Of course there's always the question of length. I'm past the age where I'm going to sit down and debate hours/price ratios, but I've had a hard time telling from the material I've seen so far (which, I admit, I stopped watching because I knew I was going to buy it anyway) exactly how long and rich of an experience this is meant to be. If it's Gone Home length, I'd have a tough time justifying buying it for more than $20, no matter how well made it is.

But, like I said, I trust Campo Santo to price it at a level that is fair and reasonable, so I'm just gonna buy it.

I would pay more money for the impression that the game was created by a large team instead of a small one. Deception is worth all the dollar bills in the world.

I think campo santo need to release a halo vidoc style promotional "making of" "behind the scenes" "look we are a much larger team than full bright and you should expect a larger more content rich piece of entertainment"... That is if it is larger and more content rich? What is Firewatch?

I think a "making of" trailer showcasing James' animation and olly's art being realised in game would go along way

No probs. Just be picky and don't use Origin, Uplay and Steam.

Hello.

Isn't GOG's catalogue big enough yet? 

I have trust that the Thumbs wouldn't try to cheat me and the price they're selling it for is representative of the cost to make it.

This makes no sense to me. First of all, it's software and copying is almost free (although each copy that is in use may increase support cost). Secondly, it's a game and I think the size of each game's target audience is largely unknown (or well, I guess it can be estimated somewhat). So it does not make any sense to even consider the cost of making to be part of fairness of price here. What, was it unfair and cheating that Minecraft sold as much as it did and Mojang should have lowered the price as soon as they realized how much it was selling?

They have every right to price the game however they want -- but of course the public has certain expectations for the prices, and I guess sadly (or no?) it is the case that the expected size of the game in play time is what seems to determine the fairness (non-cheating) of the price in most cases?

This makes no sense to me. First of all, it's software and copying is almost free (although each copy that is in use may increase support cost). Secondly, it's a game and I think the size of each game's target audience is largely unknown (or well, I guess it can be estimated somewhat). So it does not make any sense to even consider the cost of making to be part of fairness of price here. What, was it unfair and cheating that Minecraft sold as much as it did and Mojang should have lowered the price as soon as they realized how much it was selling?

They have every right to price the game however they want -- but of course the public has certain expectations for the prices, and I guess sadly (or no?) it is the case that the expected size of the game in play time is what seems to determine the fairness (non-cheating) of the price in most cases?

I'm just going to skip the response I had and say that: I'm buying it. I have no idea how much it will cost because I don't know how much work went into it or how much content there is.

It feels like this conversation is veering off into a general "how much should games cost" debate which I think we already have a thread for somewhere...

I was going to name a price and then I looked at my Steam wishlist. Let's be honest here. I'm probably not buying it at launch. I haven't even played The Walking Dead yet.

I'm buying at DRM free launch... any price.  :P

Isn't GOG's catalogue big enough yet?

If they continue with the games they presently put out, it certainly is. To be absolutely honest, I sometimes get the impression these days that GOG refuses great indie games on their platform ("The Beginner's Guide", "Dex Enhanced Edition") and publishes a lot of crap instead ("Shantae Risky's Revenge") just so they will sell more Witcher 3 DLC to their customers. Ah well, the independence of the independents.

BTW, because no one has posted it yet:

Ian Danskin talks about interesting new mechanics in adventure games that are coming up... and mentions Firewatch, immediately.