TychoCelchuuu

David Lynch's Josh Brolin's Campo Santo's Fire Watch With Me: A Motion Picture Event

Maybe this is more than y'all are ready to talk about, but I was curious as to whether the game tracks the frequency of your interactions/responses with Delilah as well as the tree you've chosen? For instance, if I don't trigger the conversation options regarding the nudity of the teens swimming in the lake, does that change the game in some way?

It changes the game in that you have changed what conversation Henry and Delilah have. It may also change future conversations that have their own conditional outcomes based on things you've said in the past.

I don't know if

the girls are meant to be lesbians. Skinny dipping isn't necessarily sexual.

...I've never thought about that in my life, but yeah I guess you're right!

Also OH MAN I can't believe they got that animator dude from Youtube who did all the whacky Gordon Freeman animation tests to do the animation in this game! That's exactly the guy I wish I could work with. Total dream-team.

Chuck Jordan:

The conversational options in Firewatch aren’t just joke dispenser voice menus, nor are they Critical Action Time Choice Junctures® in which you’re arbitrarily deciding what role you’re going to play for the next 1-5 minutes of developer-provided content. Instead, my friend Jared articulated it a lot better than I could: more often than not, you get to a moment in Firewatch, and you think, “I want to say this thing,” and then that thing pops up on the screen as a dialogue option. Get that balance right, and all the years spent thinking of how to fix the problem of “players wanting to break the game” just vanish. It’s not about empowering the player to do what she wants, because that keeps the player at a level of role-playing or gaming the system instead of genuine engagement and inhabiting the character.

I also sincerely think they’re doing something capital-I Important ...

No pressure, gang!

I feel like the demo revealed a lot of core play stuff, but not too much in the way of plot - and it looks like plot is going to be the key in this one, along with the relationship between the perspective character and Delilah...

Basically, I'm now super excited to see/play this, but the IGN video does set up at least one element that may be pretty important to the game's narrative.

The gameplay video has me wondering about how time works in the game. Is this more like an open world game where time progresses regardless of what you are doing/where you are or is time tied to your progress in the game/story?

The gameplay video has me wondering about how time works in the game. Is this more like an open world game where time progresses regardless of what you are doing/where you are or is time tied to your progress in the game/story?

Chris or Sean or Jake or Jane or someone answered this in some interview or video or article or something I thought I had a link for but I can't find.  Time is tied to your progress in the game.

So I guess those teens at the lake will stay there forever until you come and yell at them.

Chris or Sean or Jake or Jane or someone answered this in some interview or video or article or something I thought I had a link for but I can't find.  Time is tied to your progress in the game.

So I guess those teens at the lake will stay there forever until you come and yell at them.

Thats good, i find games with open worlds and time limited events outside specific quests & missions to be super stressful. I am a chronic explorer/wanderer.

Time progresses according to the narrative, but it is still a global day/night system, so if you go back to another area that isn't along the narrative path, it will still be whatever time of day it is globally. In other words, if there is an area that you are only narratively required to visit once at night, you can still go see what it's like at dusk or dawn or noon or whatever later on, even if the story never actually specifically sends you back there.

In other words, if there is an area that you are only narratively required to visit once at night, you can still go see what it's like at dusk or dawn or noon or whatever later on, even if the story never actually specifically sends you back there.

How much ability do you have to revisit stuff? The demo made it look like you're stuck on a fairly linear path, would revisiting other areas be a matter of backtracking along that path, or does movement open up and get more sandboxy?

How much ability do you have to revisit stuff? The demo made it look like you're stuck on a fairly linear path, would revisiting other areas be a matter of backtracking along that path, or does movement open up and get more sandboxy?

The whole game takes place in a contiguous space. Time is skipped according to the narrative, but when you have an objective you are free to go anywhere you have unlocked through traversal items like ropes/axe/etc., which you accrue as the game goes on. The demo takes place on Day 1, before you have gained the ability to go outside the critical path, but as the story continues and you have access to more paths, you can go to areas before you are required to by the story, find side areas, find shortcuts and alternate paths, etc.

The map is also a bit more gated off in the GDC demo than it is in the proper game. We dropped big (and surprisingly unnoticeable) rocks over a lot of trails that will be open-but-dead-end at the start of the game, to make the demo more playable.

I'm really impressed by what people are saying about this demo. I'm intentionally not playing it, and intentionally just barely skimming the posts in this thread, but from what I'm hearing here and elsewhere, I'm not just happy that the game sounds so good but impressed and proud as a fan that the Campo Santo crew seems so close to my years of knowing them on the podcast and their dreams and goals for a more independent game and it's presentation. I'm finally getting the occasional hipster feeling of; "Oh, that Firewatch game? Yeah, I've listened to them talk about everything for years, they're really going for their dreams here. Oh, it looks amazing? Of course it does, listen to them talk about anything for a couple of hours and you'll get it. That's basically what they care about, presentation and story." or "Oh, it looks like a boring 'story game'? Listen to them talk about other games for a sec, you'll be disabused of that bullshit notion in an an hour or two."

Fuck me sideways, that birch bark. Those stars. Those rock and cliff models. Incredibly evocative to me. Such small details. Like a perfect merger of impressionism and realism.

So it seems that Campo Santo employs a graphic designer