TychoCelchuuu

David Lynch's Josh Brolin's Campo Santo's Fire Watch With Me: A Motion Picture Event

"Most anticipated game of 2015" -ign.com

Loll I almost died when I read that and (metaphorically) sprinted to this thread.

Now this is definitely a first day perch.

Man, totally shouldn't have read the comments in the IGN article before finishing the game:

My guess: Delilah died in the fires last year, and she's either a ghost or a figment of your imagination.

Clearly, that's how the story's going to end.

"Most anticipated game of 2015" -ign.com

Loll I almost died when I read that and (metaphorically) sprinted to this thread.

Now this is definitely a first day perch.

"It will blow you away... with ghosts." IGN.com

Open world first person with fire being integral somehow to the experience...

I mean, there's gotta be some kind of homage or head-nod to Far Cry 2 right?

Open world first person with fire being integral somehow to the experience...

I mean, there's gotta be some kind of homage or head-nod to Far Cry 2 right?

Well, it does seem that Henry's lookout tower is on top of a hill...

Since I made a thread for this game over at the SomethingAwful forums I decided to reuse some assets and redo the OP on these forums here, too, so enjoy your fancy new OP, thread!

Theoretically you could pay Sean himself less and have a private one on one rendition of the talk over Skype.... In just his pants.... Theoretically

New game! Theoretically how much shit could we get famous to do on a webcam for $499

Oh oh oh we could make him do the cinnamon challenge

(Quality new page post)

Wow, they totally got the machine. A little bit underwhelming but it gets the job done. I guess I wasn't expecting a tablet stuck on top of a segway.

There are other companies which make more extreme ones but this works pretty well at being hilarious and useful. Nels was showing me around our game event management system today, by rolling over and looking at my screen. Was weird.

So is there like an upgrade package that includes titanium plating and human subjugation? Or, maybe you have to shell out for the full contract for that.

I want a bunch of robot arms that you could remotely be obnoxious with. Point at screens and press shortcut keys on the keyboard over someone's shoulder in an impatient annoyance.

Wow, they totally got the machine. A little bit underwhelming but it gets the job done. I guess I wasn't expecting a tablet stuck on top of a segway.

I was at least expecting an out-of-place robot smiley stuck somewhere. Why isn't the iPad held to the pole with two small clips on the top and one long, curved lip along the bottom?

So is there like an upgrade package that includes titanium plating and human subjugation? Or, maybe you have to shell out for the full contract for that.

There is a version with tazers on every axis, but it has to be plugged in to operate constantly.

This looks like it's either not going to be a video game or going to be a not video game 1/10 -IGN.com

You could say it's the Citizen Kane of, " not going to be a video game or going to be a not video game" -IGN.com

Picked up Philip Connors' Fire Season off the back of this announcement, it was excellent. Picked up Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire off the back of Fire Season, I think that's going to be excellent too. Pretty excited about this video game.

New blog post (more pictures at the link):

tumblr_n4m5gawe6m1sikueao5_1280.jpg

Let’s talk about Henry’s fire lookout tower today.

When I came back from break in January, I knew I had to figure out the tower pretty much right away. This is obviously a very important spot in the game, and a good asset to nail down so the team can all have one common jumping-off point for various important discussions. Olly had made some sketches of towers, but they were mostly for tone and atmosphere and were not much of a structural study. So okay, time to hunker down and do some research!

Turns out there are many different types of fire lookout towers. Some are built on rocky summits; some are built very elevated to be above the treeline; some have livable cabins on top; some are just a small tiny box just for day time work. When I stumbled upon the Ute Mountain lookout, I showed it to everybody and we all agreed: Yup, this one feels like the lookout we had in mind—classic, iconic and elegant. This would be a striking home for Henry in the middle of a dense Wyoming forest.

Okay, so now that I know what we are aiming for, I had to figure out how to build it. This tower is supposed to be real, so it has to feel like it is structurally plausible and bound by real-world forces. During my research phase, I found a trove of Fire Lookout schematics archived by the Oregon Forest Service (they seem to really care about their fire lookouts there). Looking at those drawings really helped me understand how they were constructed. For example, how big is a fire lookout cabin? How wide is the walkway? How did they attach anything to anything? How does the stairway transition to the walkway?

I started off by making the lookout cabin similar to what a standard cabin should be like in the real world, knowing it would likely feel too small when you play in such a space (this is a classic problem for game spaces). The problem with just enlarging a space is that, well, if you keep your furniture and objects all relatively real-world scale, then the space can easily have too much empty space. Making the cabin just wider without making it taller would change the proportions of the whole thing, but making an interior space too tall would not feel like a 14’ x 14’ space. We ended up enlarging the cabin by about 30% and it is a cozy yet navigable space in first person.

The stairway is the trickiest part of the tower since it is mostly fictional. The Ute lookout is quite rare with an external wooden stairway, but it is a lot shorter than our tower. Most real life tall towers have internal metallic stairways that are more akin to ladders with tight turns, and would be nauseating for a first person experience (also not as visually cool).

My first stab at the stairway just felt wrong. It felt more like something out of a zombie survival game, but I wasn’t exactly sure why. Jake commented that it was “too crappily built” and didn’t look like something built by the federal government. That got me thinking, huh, well, how did a National Forest Service employee go about building that back in the 50s? Oh, I suppose with standard lumber and nails. So that’s what I did. I modeled a bunch of 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8 boards, and went about building the stairway as if I was given those sizes only, adhering to as many “standards” like stair height and railing height as I could find, and the resulting stairway felt so natural and real that I was honestly floored. (“Floored”? You’re fired. -Chris)

In hindsight, I suppose it seems obvious, but it was really interesting to realize how our brains have an “uncanny valley” for architectural spaces as much as they do for humanoids.

Anyway, I love environment art because to me 90% of it is about solving problems. I hope this post gives you a hint of the thought processes involved.

I do like the theme and so far the concept art is giving me a good feel, I just hope it translates well into the game.