Drewcifer

Idle Thumbs GDC Meetup 2014 - 3/20 9pm at Dear Mom

Is anyone going to the Free to Play premiere tonight? I already asked in that thread, but figured I'd ask here, too. I'm going ALL BY MYSELF and I don't want to be lonely. Though I have no idea if seats are assigned or first-come.

You probably already found this out, but the Castro is always general admission. I don't think the seats are even numbered.

Yep I did! No problem. Also it was a good documentary. Followed up by a bunch of audience members asking absolutely inane questions!

Followed up by a bunch of audience members asking absolutely inane questions!

That's every Q&A ever.

Is this meeting still occuring ?

How is everyone coordinating ? (intermittent internet connection here)

so far, via this forum. There was talk of communicating on twitter as well. Right now, sounds like we are thinking 9pm on thursday at Dear Mom

There are alot of parties on that night so I probably won't make it. Have fun everyone I would have loved to meet some fellow thumbs

I can probably make Dear Mom for 9 on Thursday.

The whole "quit your company to go indie" thing just keeps getting bigger, I imagine this is a good way for all those guys to get press without costing a lot of money. Frankly I don't go to Gamasutra anymore though.

I think this is heading for a crash. Compared to previous years, I had twice the number of submissions for a recent show, but the quality of them was markedly lower than usual. I think some of that is due to loads of students who don't get that a few years with a well established company can improve their development skills immeasurably and instead jump feet first into independent development. Some of it, I'm sure though, is due to people who are more suited to studio environments than going it alone. I've probably said it here before, but the best solo developers I know tend to spend around 70% of their time doing contract work, often unrelated to games, to allow them to work on their own stuff.

I'm going to make the call, this is happening.

The Idle Thumbs GDC 2014 Meetup will occur at 9pm Thursday  March 20th at Dear Mom, 2700 16th Street. SF CA Congrats Nick etc.

If our friend Drewcifer reads this maybe he could edit the first post and title to reflect that information. 

I will try to be there for nine, my name is Spencer and you can see what I look like here. I will try to do something that suggests I am there for the thumbs, with what I brought with me that probably means writing wizards on a post-it note and sticking it to myself. If you have an Idle Thumbs shirt maybe you should wear it. I don't have a shirt but I do have post-it notes. 

Hopefully we get a good little crew out. Look forward to meeting ya'll tomorrow!

Wooo! OP updated. I don't have anything thumb related, but I will be wearing my iconic 'Jamaica, no problem' shirt emblazoned with a large Jamaican flag on the front.

I'm pretty pumped.

I did realize that it is probably worth mentioning, for those who aren't familiar with it, that Dear Mom is a cash only bar. Also they have food too. They do have an ATM I believe

I hope they keep serving food post 9 because I forgot to eat and now I'm on the bus to get on the train to get there.

Drew and I are in the back room, though it might be reserved later. I'm in a green plaid shirt and navy and gray cardigan

Meeting is over, but was successful. Great to meet you guys, it was fun. I don't often get to discuss what is a game, or antagonize twig with talk about what is apparently my only topic of conversation, Dark Souls. Thanks guys. I do live here, so if anyone else wants to hang out while you are around, for whatever reason, I'm probably game.

Yeah, thanks for listening to me rant about why I dislike my job and not remember your names. Also I said coaxmetal is beautiful, because he has games in his head wether he knows it or not. 

I am not feminine enough for these real life meetings. )';

Sorry I flaked; it was the night after working on Wild Rumpus and we were all comatose as a result.

Sorry I couldn't make it to this. I was a destroyed person by the end of this week, and noticed the thread too late to account for it :( hope folks had fun!