Drewcifer

Idle Thumbs GDC Meetup 2014 - 3/20 9pm at Dear Mom

The Idle Thumbs GDC 2014 Meetup will occur at 9pm Thursday  March 20th at Dear Mom, 2700 16th Street. SF CA Congrats Nick etc.

If you don't have a Thumbs shirt or something related to a horrible meme to identify yourself then try screaming 'the wizaaard' upon entering the bar.

-----------------------------

Hey guys! GDC is only a week away, and I'm hoping to organize some sort of Idle Thumbs meetup somewhere in San Francisco at some point during the week. Last year, we got a small crew to roam around for a while, and it was fun! But that was also a last minute kind of thing - I'm hoping that by planning this at least a week in advance, more people will have the opportunity to come hang out. I'm not from the area, so I don't really have a good idea of where to meet up or what to do once we have... Last year we just went to a few classy bars and had a good time, but if anyone's underage we should probably find something a bit more accommodating.

Is anyone else up for this?

I'm down for this.

Busy with Rumpus/Venus Patrol thing on the Wednesday, but on any other night will probably head to the Irish Bank and go wherever with the developer katamari that starts there goes.

I will be there and would be cool to meet.

We'll let the other attending Thumbs be the judge of that...

I'm down to meet up. I am not attending GDC, but I do live in San Francisco. Can I still come?

I had fun last year, and I'll probably be in the area again even though I'm not actually attending gdc this time. What day were people planning on doing this?

I'm guessing Thursday will be the day to meet. Those who aren't actually going to GDC are totally welcome to come anyway!

Lacabra's got a good point that we should maybe coordinate through twitter as opposed to this forum when the time comes. Sounds good to me. I'm @drewcifer000

Any locals got a good idea of what to do? I'll try and see if there are any open parties we can crash if people are interested.

No money to attend GDC this year, but I'll still be around. I'm always up for Doing Things.

We'll let the other attending Thumbs be the judge of that...

I suppose I should check my inability to write coherently against my ability to sound completely self absorbed, but fuck that I'm awesome.

I'm guessing Thursday will be the day to meet. Those who aren't actually going to GDC are totally welcome to come anyway!

Lacabra's got a good point that we should maybe coordinate through twitter as opposed to this forum when the time comes. Sounds good to me. I'm @drewcifer000

Any locals got a good idea of what to do? I'll try and see if there are any open parties we can crash if people are interested.

I'm @coaxmetal on twitter. Twitter isn't really great at coordinating things though, but it can be done. I'm local, alls I know about is bars in the mission though. Plenty of good ones. There's always the idle thumbs classic Dear Mom. Some other places near me, and some good dives too. Flying Pig Bistro is a pretty good cafe/sandwichplace/beer bar. I'd recommend not meeting up at a bar or restaurant in soma, those tend to be crowded with startup types anwyay, and will be even moreso during a conference. I'm assuming here that a bar is ok with everyone, not sure if that is a reasonable assumption or not.

Sadly there's virtually no chance I'll have time to participate in anything GDC-related this year.

It is a cool bar! It seems like the right place to have an idle thumbs meetup. Lot of space too.

I can't afford GDC, but I'm in the city and can at least buy a couple drinks.

Dear Mom might be a tough one for GDC since it's the defunk game developer bar in the city. But I'll be up for anything.

I can't afford GDC, but I'm in the city and can at least buy a couple drinks.

Dear Mom might be a tough one for GDC since it's the defunk game developer bar in the city. But I'll be up for anything.

Oh I didn't know that. There's a lot of bars around though, most of them are good. We can still give it a try.

What day works for people? Someone mentioned Thursday I think.

Just waking up in Oakland! Bout to head over to the conference. I only have an expo pass so I won't be doing more than wandering around the floor if anyone wants to chill.

As for the meetup, I thought Thursday would be a good day, but I'm also thinking Wednesday night after the award ceremonies. Apparently those are the two days when all the parties are going on, so maybe it won't work out. Any day works for me, though.

Just waking up in Oakland! Bout to head over to the conference. I only have an expo pass so I won't be doing more than wandering around the floor if anyone wants to chill.

As for the meetup, I thought Thursday would be a good day, but I'm also thinking Wednesday night after the award ceremonies. Apparently those are the two days when all the parties are going on, so maybe it won't work out. Any day works for me, though.

Pick a party, crash a party, Wizzzaaaards :devil: .

Honestly I dont know. Whatever.

Sooo..... I don't have any parties Thursday night, so if the call where made to go to Dear Mom around 9, that would work super well. The bar seems far away enough from the moscone centre that I couldn't imagine a drift of developers making their way there. I have to imagine that meeting there would be fine. 

Maybe I'm more aware of it this year more than most, or there is a certain trend going on, but I'm finding a lot of these talks more PR for the speakers project than in depth discussions. I've noticed that with the recent articles on gamasutra as well, it's more to create awareness for what you're working on then getting to the meat of the subject.

Is anyone else noticing this as well?

Maybe I'm more aware of it this year more than most, or there is a certain trend going on, but I'm finding a lot of these talks more PR for the speakers project than in depth discussions. I've noticed that with the recent articles on gamasutra as well, it's more to create awareness for what you're working on then getting to the meat of the subject.

Is anyone else noticing this as well?

The whole "quit your company to go indie" thing just keeps getting bigger, I imagine this is a good way for all those guys to get press without costing a lot of money. Frankly I don't go to Gamasutra anymore though.

Sooo..... I don't have any parties Thursday night, so if the call where made to go to Dear Mom around 9, that would work super well. The bar seems far away enough from the moscone centre that I couldn't imagine a drift of developers making their way there. I have to imagine that meeting there would be fine. 

sounds good to me. I'm in. It helps that i live quite close by.