Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Riddle me this...

I like riddles, logic puzzles, and brain teasers, although I'm not especially good at them.  I figured we could share some of our favorites.

I also have an idea for making it a game if everyone agrees.  The rules would be:

1.  The first person to correctly answer the riddle earns the right to ask the next riddle.

2.  If no one correctly answers the riddle after a certain period of time (say a week), then the person asking the riddle is said to have won and can then ask another riddle.

3.  Anyone can also choose to pass instead of asking a riddle.  You can either pass it off to a specific person (maybe someone who came close to the answer) or make it open, in which case anyone can ask the next riddle.

4.  This is supposed to be fun, so try to avoid simply Googling the answer.

What do you guys think?  If no one wants to do it this way, we can simply post riddles and answers instead.

I'll go first.

The word "cool" has one double letter (oo).  The word "balloon" has 2 adjacent double letters (ll and oo).  Can you name a word that has 3 adjacent double letters?

Please change this topic title to «Baffle me this...»!

It's a swell idea. I guess most people here enjoy puzzles. I'm reminded of those crazy internet games of some 10 years ago where you'd get these insane riddles and puzzles, just one after the other, that had elaborate ploys and things you had to answer and figure out. That was fun.

I'll go first.

The word "cool" has one double letter (oo).  The word "balloon" has 2 adjacent double letters (ll and oo).  Can you name a word that has 3 adjacent double letters?

No.

I win win!

Please change this topic title to «Baffle me this...»!

I actually considered that when I was making the thread.  You may have noticed that one of the tags is "the baffler".

After much brow-furrowing I thought of the real answer, but I don't want to say it because I had the teensiest tiniest bit of a hint stuck in my head from when Encyclopedia Brown solved this riddle in my youth. :P

«The Baffler» is funny because it sounds like a sexual perversion.

Is the answer Woolloomooloo? I know that word because my sister worked in a restaurant with that name in Avignon, it's supposed to be some area somewhere.

After much brow-furrowing I thought of the real answer, but I don't want to say it because I had the teensiest tiniest bit of a hint stuck in my head from when Encyclopedia Brown solved this riddle in my youth. :P

Actually, that's where I got it from in the first place :eyebrow:

«The Baffler» is funny because it sounds like a sexual perversion.

Is the answer Woolloomooloo? I know that word because my sister worked in a restaurant with that name in Avignon, it's supposed to be some area somewhere.

I would prefer it not to be a name or place, but I'll give it to you if no one else comes up with anything.

Well, then it's obviously not the answer you had in mind. It's a goddamn riddle, not a multiple choice query that must take into account any loquacious colloquialism.

Actually, that's where I got it from in the first place :eyebrow:

If nobody manages to guess this riddle, I think I will cry.

But the tears will be streaming from the outer corners of my eyes and so you will know they were faked!

Hold on, the question was can you name such a word. I was the first to answer with No. I win, totes on a technicality. Don't make me get the internet lawyers.

Hold on, the question was can you name such a word. I was the first to answer with No. I win, totes on a technicality. Don't make me get the internet lawyers.

When the internet lawyers join your riddle game, everybody loses. D:

I'm no good with riddles as such, but I did recently discover the game of Word Golf. It's quite simple, although everyone I've explained it to has been terribly confused. Basically you get a starting word and a target word with the same number of characters, and you need to get from one to the other by changing one letter at a time and getting a real word at each step. I don't know if my explanation is very good, so an example: "Love" to "hate":

Love

Live

Hive

Have

Hate

Would that be appropriate at all for this thread? Either way it's good fun.

Balloonneer? One who balloons? 

:(

balloonneer English Noun

balloonneer

1. Common misspelling of ballooner.

I'll go first.

The word "cool" has one double letter (oo). The word "balloon" has 2 adjacent double letters (ll and oo). Can you name a word that has 3 adjacent double letters?

I know the answer, but I have no riddles of my own to ask nor anyone I'd pass if off to, so I'm keeping mum.

I actually came up with woolloom before I read Rodi's, but I don't know if it's a word. [edit] isn't

I know the answer, but I have no riddles of my own to ask nor anyone I'd pass if off to, so I'm keeping mum.

I also know it, but only because I've heard the same question before.