Roderick

Batmazement: Knightly Man Bruce

I think i've figure out what my gripe is. They're clearly moving away from the more cartoony character design of Asylam and City and are now leaning towards the Nolan movies.

Completely disagree with this sentiment as Rocksteady has been using The Dark Knight as its template from the beginning. Asylum didn't have cartoony characters, it had big, bulky, "gritty" ones.

Let's take a trip down memory lane

City and asylum, looking at the asylum outfit although bulky you can tell the inspiration was the classic comic bat suit. Grey and blue. Bulky was just rocksteadys spin on it

Batman_Arkham_Asylum_by_patokali.jpg

NealAdamsBatman.jpg

Cartoony was probably the wrong word but this is what I meant

Now grey and black, full on Nolan armour

Batman-Arkham-Knight.jpg

the-bat-s-back.jpg

Ace.gif ace2.gif

NealAdamsBatman.jpg

+

the-bat-s-back.jpg

=

hw7IiDi.jpg

I agree that this latest incarnation of the suit looks more Nolanesque than in titles previous, but I still maintain that Rocksteady was drawing heavily from those films all along.

Seeing it closer, I'm surprised that the Batfleck suit appears to be made out of cloth. Not even that bullshit superhero costume cloth made out of tiny hexagons that every other superhero movie has either.

Otherwise we'll be having mission/dungeon/boss fights with poison ivy AGAIN the mad hatter AGAIN Bane AGAIN.

It would be extremely painful...

... for YOOOOOU.

is that a really obscure Bane quote? :)

Also, there are rumours that the new movie bat suit is blue and grey like comic book bats, kinda like this...

Batman-vs-Superman-Costume-Jim-Lee-Color

I'm guessing it'll be two-toned, but black & gray as opposed to navy blue & gray. It looks to be a combination of Frank Miller's '80s redesign and Jim Lee's New 52 costume. Either way, I'm sad that in a movie where they got Batman's suit right, they will undoubtedly get everything else wrong.

Now hold on, there is no such thing as the 'right' batsuit. There are only infinite variations, and that's the beauty of it. I have to get used to the short ears, but otherwise it looks fine. Definite Frank Miller vibe with the bulky bat logo on the chest. I'd be happy to see a blue/gray version, but that's probably not grimdark enough for a universe where Superman

broke a person's neck in rage.

I'm bullish on Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman, I think he has chops enough to give it a good go, and I'm quite sure that the movie will be garbage.

Now hold on, there is no such thing as the 'right' batsuit. There are only infinite variations, and that's the beauty of it. I have to get used to the short ears, but otherwise it looks fine. Definite Frank Miller vibe with the bulky bat logo on the chest.

Well there's certainly such a thing as the "wrong" batsuit:

detective-comics-667.jpg

dFWcUYr.jpg

"The ears are too long and I miss the cape, but not too shabby. Not too shabby at all"

Well there's certainly such a thing as the "wrong" batsuit:

detective-comics-667.jpg

Man, Knight Quest was such a piece of shit. To be fair to the suit I think it was supposed to be ridiculous and obnoxious since it was Jean Paul Valley designing a super high tech murder suit and it's half Azrael half Batman. Still though, I hate the suit and I hate that whole big arc.

Wow. I'd managed to block out the Joel Schumacher film again. That looks like it should be covered in jewels too.

I can't stop looking at the Knightquest cover. How did that get all the way through as many people as it needed to and end up on the cover? Is the blue part meant to be some sort of material? (Because it looks like someone with an airbrush and some latex mask was told "Fuck it, just do something to it!"). Why does his spine suddenly kink backward? Why are his head and the weird square collar thing off centre compared to the rest of his torso? It's such a shitty piece of art.

Just having a look at it properly, wow it's all over the place.

How many people did it have to get through? Sadly at the time probably only one, it was commissioned, it came back looking like shit, fuck it lets go to print. How successful was the comic industry in 1993?

Wow. I'd managed to block out the Joel Schumacher film again. That looks like it should be covered in jewels too.

It's called Bat Bling™.