Roderick

Batmazement: Knightly Man Bruce

I imagine most big budget productions (movie or game) start with cool ideas like that but someone up the chain puts a hold on the more edgy stuff in the name of mass popularity. Given the amount of money these games have to make to break even, it's probably a good idea.

I wonder if Paul Dini is responsible for having nearly every character call Catwoman a bitch or if the story guys at Rocksteady are to blame.

Mark Millar even followed the "Batman, but evil!" concept to its logical conclusion in a 4-issue miniseries, Nemesis with Steve McNiven.

Arkham City is one of the better representations of the Caped Crusader, regardless of medium. I hope Rocksteady can not only deliver on their promises, but actually want to be making this game. It seems entirely plausible that they'd be burnt out after living and breathing Batman for nearly a decade at this point.

It's actually just been just over 7 years from when the started development on Asylum to when Knight is released.  Which if Knight holds up to the quality of the first two, that will be a pretty crazy run.  It would be nice to see them turn their attention to something else next though. 

Add in post-launch DLC support, and you're pushing 8 years, which is close enough to a decade for me. I mean, what's three years anyway? Half a troubled AAA dev cycle?

I imagine most big budget productions (movie or game) start with cool ideas like that but someone up the chain puts a hold on the more edgy stuff in the name of mass popularity. Given the amount of money these games have to make to break even, it's probably a good idea.

yeah this is probably about right, hard to hold true to the original vision of an artist with millions of dollars at play and everyone and their mother weighing in.

Must be really painful to have an army of lawyers and producers chip away at your creation.

One movie that comes to mind which managed to be subversive and mainstream at the same time was the original robocop, but it does seem to be a rarity.

One movie that comes to mind which managed to be subversive and mainstream at the same time was the original robocop, but it does seem to be a rarity.

That would be because it was Paul Verhoeven.  Good or bad, his movies tend to be what he intended them to be.

Paul Verhoeven is definitely more good than bad, and always interesting if nothing else. Even Showgirls is redeemable in its hilarious atrocity.

This is the first big budget game I've felt excited about in a while. Not very, mind, and I'm totally bored of the concept of Batman*, but still a bit excited. The first Rocksteady Batman game was so good, and they really felt like they drifted more off track with each subsequent one. I hope this one gets back to it.

*Rich man assaults the mentally ill.

Two questions:

1) Why did Thomas Wayne create a last will and testament under the assumption that he would be killed and that he'd never see his son grow up. Did he travel to the opera / theatre / whatever under the assumption that he was gonna get it in the alley?

If I were filthy rich, I'd have a will regardless of how unlikely I thought it was I'd die soon.

2) Did he write his will thinking: "also when I die my wife is going with me, so, I don't need to write her into the will."

Ahaha. Ok, yeah  :)

There's so much...stuff. Every armoured pec-plate has 50 moving parts. All the overengineering and STUFF makes me feel like an old man and really pisses on my enthusiasm. I remember watching 15 minutes of the Transformers movie and it had the same effect - I couldn't really make out anything and it became a dirge of rubble and tech and lens flare. I liked how Rocksteady kept things simple in Asylum. This looks damn complicated and it feels like the iconography gets blurred behind all the superfluous doohickeys. I guess I'm not enamoured with the idea of fighting the Penguin, Two-Face et al again either. This Arkham Knight fellow will probably be Joker and Harley's bastard. Joker Snow. Or Zombie Joker. 

/grandad

I liked the trailer, but I have to know... I didn't finish Arkham Asylum or start the other two. When did Batman become Iron Man?

I guess I'm not enamoured with the idea of fighting the Penguin, Two-Face et al again either. This Arkham Knight fellow will probably be Joker and Harley's bastard. Joker Snow. Or Zombie Joker. 

From what I gather, it's pretty much guaranteed to be Hush.

Yeah I'm a little burnt out on bats, it just all looks a bit samey with the recycled baddies. The knight is going to be that Hush guy... That's probably story spoilers. Soz. He's going to beat up batman and steal his identity

It would be interesting to play as bad batman and have a completely different arsenal to murder dudes with. By no means do I think that killing people should be in all games but it would be kinda interesting if they let you do it now in the 4th game of the series, might actually care a bit of weight. "Holy shit I just killed that dude" instead of mowing down thousands without raising an eyebrow

FYI shooting a rocket at a car is probably going to kill someone batman! I thought that was against your code maaaaaaaan

FYI shooting a rocket at a car is probably going to kill someone batman! I thought that was against your code maaaaaaaan

Using my knowledge of Batman pieced together from toy commercials, I can assure you he only uses those rockets to knock over pyramids of giant styrofoam cups.

It's certainly not the art style I want, but Arkham City is easily one of my favorite video games ever so I'm certainly interested. In fact, I should probably pick AC up again now that I've got a slammin' PC.

Really want a period noir Batman, but I know that'll never happen.

Using my knowledge of Batman pieced together from toy commercials, I can assure you he only uses those rockets to knock over pyramids of giant styrofoam cups.

Sometime he tips plastic men onto their backsides as well, iirc

Having recently (in the last few months) finished Arkham City, I'm still pretty excited for this.  I'm also getting tired of Batman, but AC was so much fun that I'm willing to overlook it for more of that.

As for Hush

his origin in this universe was one of the side quests for AC so there's a good chance he'll be in this one, especially since they don't have to get another voice actor to play the part.

My first thought on seeing that gif was Men in Black.  Now I can't stop picturing Will Smith dancing around inside the batmobile.

I think i've figure out what my gripe is. They're clearly moving away from the more cartoony character design of Asylam and City and are now leaning towards the Nolan movies. This is starting to feel like...

A MOVIE TIE IN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Don't think it'll happen but I really want batman to feel exposed again like he did in the first game. The three scarecrow sections genuinely freaked me out at the time and made me feel like I part of the "madhouse". The more empowered batman in Arkham City, whilst fun to play, strayed too close to typical superhero "I'm a gonna beat you up dark knight styley", emphasised the least interesting parts of the character.

I think i've figure out what my gripe is. They're clearly moving away from the more cartoony character design of Asylam and City and are now leaning towards the Nolan movies. This is starting to feel like...

Ready for bonus pre-order DLC of Superman costume.

I wouldn't be surprised, or i hope they do bring in some other DC characters. The cast of batman baddies are well and truly exhausted at this point. The Green arrow is popular with his TV show, get him in.

Otherwise we'll be having mission/dungeon/boss fights with poison ivy AGAIN the mad hatter AGAIN Bane AGAIN. Although Batman Arkham Origins uses a Nolan-esk Bane quite heavily, so thats already been done

Ah, i just did a little research of DC baddies and everyone outside of the batman universe have super powers and could easily melt batman with eyeball laser beams and the like

Yeah, when I read this

Pre-order now and receive the playable Harley Quinn add-on. Become Harley Quinn for the first time ever in an Arkham game and utilize her unique weapons, gadgets, and abilities first-hand.

I thought we were looking at an überFemShep New Game+ storyline switcheroo. But then

The add-on includes four exclusive challenge maps.

So, huh. Ah well.