melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

Really nice to see those story videos. As always, it's easy to miss out on what's actually happening, and knowing the story has made me appreciate the game more. Pity it isn't a liiiiiittle more overt, so I'd feel that way while playing.

I haven't got deep into the lore videos yet, but have read some of the more compelling theories on various parts, and I have to say that my opinion on the story building is changing.  I still think DS1 is better, as there's a lot you can pick up on even if you aren't playing super close attention.  But DS2 is considerably deeper than I originally gave it credit.  The most recent theory that I buy into is related to The Last Giant:

That he's the dessicated/hollowed/whatever remains of the Giant Lord, who you defeated but did not kill in the past. That wasn't someone else's memory, that was your memory. You are just as old as all these other people, and you've been wandering Drangleic since the Siege of the Giants, your memory slowly fading. It's clear that at least Melentia and the Blue Sword guy have been banging around since the siege. The Last Giant freaks out when you walk into his cave because he remembers you, the one who defeated him. So the entire game is basically bookended by fighting the same boss, with you both at full power at the end and both weakened in the beginning, though at opposite ends of time from the player's perspective. Which is a very Souls thing to do.

Man I love how legs work in this game, how your feet will rest at different heights if the ground you're standing on is uneven. It's a nice little touch, and I can't remember seeing it in a game before.

It's full of crazy little touches.  Apparently every piece of armor (don't know about weapons), has a both broken and normal appearance, even though you hardly ever break armor, so most people have never even seen the difference. 

How the online community doing in DS2? Steam sale coming up I'm going to grab it as soon as there's even a hint of a price drop, but don't want to go into a barren internet land thing.

Cool, I'll probably get into the PvP in August as that's when I'll have the most time, but I'd like to get into the PvE ASAP. 

Rereading your last post, maybe worth flagging that the DLC starts comin out in late July, if it's not on sale with the Summer Sale, it'll probably get some kind of drop at that time

Oh cool, so I guess there will be a bunch of people coming back. I just hope the skill level isn't horrible between me and those who've been playing for ages.

I have the impression that DS2 is going to have a robust community for awhile.  I'd guess you could buy it a year from now and still find low level people to co-op and PvP with. 

Fuckin' Belfry Gargoyles on NG+. Now that was a hell of a fight!

Just ran through the Lost Bastille, and those big urns are almost as satisfying to roll through as the cannonballs were in DaS. For the DLC I just want bigger static objects to roll through.

Edit: Anyone getting a crash upon quitting the game? Wasn't always happening to me, so a patch must have caused this problem. Not that big a deal, but still...

Just ran through the Lost Bastille, and those big urns are almost as satisfying to roll through as the cannonballs were in DaS. For the DLC I just want bigger static objects to roll through.

Make your skin color blue, invest in nothing but stamina and adaptability and become sonic the hedgehog

Make your skin color blue, invest in nothing but stamina and adaptability and become sonic the hedgehog

There are some videos floating around of a gank squad composed of sonic, tails...and whatever the red one is.  For gankers, it's surprisingly amusing. 

So, I've just started NG+ and I've been doing something. Something that has brought me feelings of anxiety, joy, heartbreak, solidarity, and even terror.

What have I been doing?

iEyuWSF.jpg

n4t3vXE.jpg

s6Q2Ul6.jpg

pMOSMXm.jpg

SUCCESS!

, I've decided to spend most of my free time disguised as a Hollow Royal Soldier, fooling invaders who invade me/who I summon, and in the process, recording it all with the hopes of making a silly video. 

I have over 3 hours of footage of the most dumb, heartwarming, and hilarious shit that's happened to me in a game in a long time. Why also heartwarming? Well, I've decided to not be an asshole and not kill the invaders. I instead just fool them, and I end up giving them stuff right before the invasion timer ends, or after the third or fourth time I summon them. I also give them my souls by way of me jumping off a ledge. Their reactions are the most hilarious and amazing things ever. From bowing in reverence, to joining me in jumping off the ledge, to even giving me stuff (and the occasional hyperactive douche who just wants to kill me, regardless of what I try to do), it's been a great time. So I guess, expect a shortened video of all this hilarity soon...?

FuryBoy86, on 14 Jun 2014 - 09:21, said:

Edit: Anyone getting a crash upon quitting the game? Wasn't always happening to me, so a patch must have caused this problem. Not that big a deal, but still...

Yes, I get a crash on quit every time now.

I'd definitely watch some of that as well Cine!

Watching epic invasion fails is one of my new favorite things with DS2 vids.  This is the best that there will ever be:

Apparently one of the spawn points for invaders in the Black Gulch is directly in front of one of the two worms which, if they are active, can punch you right off the ledge as you spawn.  Somebody at From did that shit on purpose.