melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

There was an announcement on Dark Souls 2 Facebook page saying that there is a chest with an item placed in the basement of the Majula mansion in celebration of the new DLC. Apparently the item in the chest is going to change weekly?

Anyone played today and had a look? I'm guessing it's in the same chest past the map, in the crypt?

Sweet, that's really cool and unexpected. I'll definitely check it out later. Good way to keep people playing.

You pretty much got it right.  Though the better scaling a weapon has, the better elemental scaling it gets when you infuse it.  You should also be intending on regularly using a buff spell on it.  Very few weapons are more powerful infused than they are left with normal scaling, unless you buff them.  All the buff spells add flat damage plus a percentage of the elemental damage currently on the weapon. 

Also, Dex weapons tend to make better candidates for infusing than Str weapons, since Str gets a ton more damage scaling than Dex.

Cheers, didn't know that about buffing. I actually don't think I have any buff spells, just a handful of resins, and I suppose they don't count? I'll have to track down the other spells.

Cheers, didn't know that about buffing. I actually don't think I have any buff spells, just a handful of resins, and I suppose they don't count? I'll have to track down the other spells.

Yeah, there's a buff spell for each element (magic, dark, lightning and fire).  Magic and Dark each have multiple levels of buff spells, though the high level version of the dark spell got nerfed.  Infused weapons can still be buffed with spells, but no resins.  Which is a huge change from DS1, where an enchanted weapon couldn't be buffed at all. 

There was an announcement on Dark Souls 2 Facebook page saying that there is a chest with an item placed in the basement of the Majula mansion in celebration of the new DLC. Apparently the item in the chest is going to change weekly?

Anyone played today and had a look? I'm guessing it's in the same chest past the map, in the crypt?

I always wondered why that chest had a unique look to it, now we know!  There was also a glitch early on with it that it would give you a Divine Blessing instead of a Soul Vessel, but if you left and came back, then it would have reset and would still give you a Soul Vessel.

I'm assuming the chest will have the new items in it even if you've previously claimed the SV from it.

I always wondered why that chest had a unique look to it, now we know!  There was also a glitch early on with it that it would give you a Divine Blessing instead of a Soul Vessel, but if you left and came back, then it would have reset and would still give you a Soul Vessel.

I'm assuming the chest will have the new items in it even if you've previously claimed the SV from it.

Huh, I never noticed that. For what it's worth, I checked and it's 5 Petrified Somethings. Nice.

It's been announced that the Binoculars glitch will be patched in v1.03, which will ruin speed runners as they've managed to use it to get the run down to just over 20 minuets. Which is insane. Check it out:

As far as I could tell, this mainly requires 2 glitches, the Binoculars glitch and what looks like some no-clip glitch achieved by parrying enemies and then rolling into them when they fall. Super interesting.

Two people have already gone under 18 minutes, including

of the Spelunky Eggplant fame, then Distortion got a bit faster shortly after that.  Parrywalking is also supposed to be fixed in the same patch as binoboosting, so yeah, until/unless new glitches are found, speedrunners will have to hold off on patching, or back off from Any% runs.  The parrywalking stuff took quite a bit of experimentation, as once you've done it, there are invisible holes and walls that you can only discover by trial and error.   Both glitches appear to be related to the game receiving inputs from both the roll and R1 buttons at the same time under the right circumstances, so fixing one may inevitably fix the other. 

I only learned reading yesterday that you can aim magic spells using the binoculars. This opens up so many possiblities.

I've turned off auto-updating on Steam, binoboosting is too much fun.

Two people have already gone under 18 minutes, including

of the Spelunky Eggplant fame, then Distortion got a bit faster shortly after that.  Parrywalking is also supposed to be fixed in the same patch as binoboosting, so yeah, until/unless new glitches are found, speedrunners will have to hold off on patching, or back off from Any% runs.  The parrywalking stuff took quite a bit of experimentation, as once you've done it, there are invisible holes and walls that you can only discover by trial and error.   Both glitches appear to be related to the game receiving inputs from both the roll and R1 buttons at the same time under the right circumstances, so fixing one may inevitably fix the other. 

One thing I don't understand is the importance of the Golden Falcon Shield. Any Ideas?

Until they find another glitch which makes you skip more of the game, this is insane.

I'm assuming it is the fastest small shield that he can get.  He parries the first time using a dagger, which you can only do 2-handed and is a bit narrower window than using a small shield.  Probably not strictly necessary, but less likely to miss a parry, only adds a few seconds to the run and isn't that dangerous to pick up. 

So I have been mopping up before NG+ and FuryBoy and I were discussing how there is just no way you could expect someone playing blind to find most of these things.

So I have been mopping up before NG+ and FuryBoy and I were discussing how there is just no way you could expect someone playing blind to find most of these things.

Examples?  At this point I've done like 8 NG playthroughs and I've kinda forgotten what it was like not knowing crap the first time through.

Yeah those were the specific thing we were talking about. I also was thinking about the assassination missions and the women at the shrine of Amana. I missed all of those until I wikied.

Well the game isn't designed for a single player to discover everything in a blind play through, it's designed to be discovered by a community of players that communicate through the in-game message system or use other means of communication to share secrets. The existence of those kinds of secrets is part of why Dark Souls has such a robust post-launch community. 

For the door with Vendrick's soul I think seeing a message like "Need humanity" is not uncommon. And considering that you need to beat Vendrick to get that stuff you might as well consider that a post-game secret.

Maybe I'm dumb but I had to look up what the hell I was supposed to do with the ashen mist heart first time through. I tried to play completely blind but I couldn't connect the dots on that one.

Me too so if you're dumb at least you're not alone.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't have secrets but I dislike the handful of times I couldn't progress without google. I don't need my Hand held but things like what to do about those vines - maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything at all in the game itself to indicate that.

This is one of the few things I think was better in Dark Souls 1; for the most part the inscrutable bits were not on the critical path (like the memories).

The other time I got stumped was pulling the ring in No Mans Wharf, which I didn't see, but I admit that is a little different.

Oh yeah, particularly Vendrick and the souls are completely ridiculous.  And double so because, by glitch or design, if you attack him directly after Velstadt, the doesn't have his immunities.  But if you die then, and come pack, he's got his super high defense, which is just confusing as all hell.

Cine and I did some 2v2 fights on Iron Keep Bridge yesterday afternoon, that was fun!  We had a super dumb moment when we kept trying to use regular summons signs even though both of us had already beat the bosses of the keep.  I found it to be a lot more fun in some ways than a 1v1 duel.  We could use a bit more practice at it, didn't honestly do that great, but a great time was had.  It would have helped if I would have had a better PvP character, but the closest SM I had to Cine my axe wielder.  

I'm starting to burn through all the red orbs I have on various characters to have some fun invading.  Best one yesterday was with my lightning/fire caster.  Chased a guy through Drangleic castle, and he jumped onto the elevator.  In case he came back down, I went up the ladder so I could drop a Sunlight Spear on his head as he went by.  Lo and behold, he did come back!  He was waving at me as he passed, and I unleashed the fury of the heavens on him, almost killing him in one shot.  Then the forward momentum of the cast carried me off the edge and I went splat on the floor.  Doh!  A second later, the host's body hit next to mine.  All I can think is that he dodged expecting another spear or plunging attack and managed to throw himself off the elevator. 

Maybe I'm dumb but I had to look up what the hell I was supposed to do with the ashen mist heart first time through. I tried to play completely blind but I couldn't connect the dots on that one.

If you go back and talk to Nashandra she tells you to go to the forest. Shalquoir might say something too. 

Cine and I did some 2v2 fights on Iron Keep Bridge yesterday afternoon, that was fun!  We had a super dumb moment when we kept trying to use regular summons signs even though both of us had already beat the bosses of the keep.  I found it to be a lot more fun in some ways than a 1v1 duel.  We could use a bit more practice at it, didn't honestly do that great, but a great time was had.  It would have helped if I would have had a better PvP character, but the closest SM I had to Cine my axe wielder.  

Quite fun indeed! PvP is just so good in this game...ignoring the dumb netcode issues (*COUGH*LAG*COUGH*GETTING BACKSTABBED DUE TO LAG*COUGH*).

I've been trying to kill the fucking Darklurker, but goddamn, that boss is hard. It's the last boss I need to deal with, and then I'll start my NG+. Is there any way to stagger it splits into two? Because honestly, I feel I can kill it if it didn't had to fucking split in two. 

If you go back and talk to Nashandra she tells you to go to the forest. Shalquoir might say something too.

Yeah, if I was patient I would have stopped and asked around, but I think after getting the mist heart I just assumed "oh, I guess I gotta kill ancient dragon now." Could've avoided 20+ deaths if I'd just backed up and tried something else.

I missed a bunch of NPC dialog though, judging by Vaatividya's excellent lore videos. Like the whole deal with

the Emerald Herald being an experimental human/dragon half-breed, or whatever. I was really looking forward to her plotline being resolved at some point but then it just kind of fell off. Guess I missed some cues to talk to her.

she point blank tells you a lot of this when she shows up at the start of other areas towards the end, mainly dragon shrine if I remember right

Yeah, if I was patient I would have stopped and asked around, but I think after getting the mist heart I just assumed "oh, I guess I gotta kill ancient dragon now." Could've avoided 20+ deaths if I'd just backed up and tried something else.

I missed a bunch of NPC dialog though, judging by Vaatividya's excellent lore videos. Like the whole deal with

the Emerald Herald being an experimental human/dragon half-breed, or whatever. I was really looking forward to her plotline being resolved at some point but then it just kind of fell off. Guess I missed some cues to talk to her.

Speaking of trying to find things while playing blind, I've hit a bit of a dead end. I'll try to be oblique here as to not spoil for anyone, though I'd expect pretty much anyone reading the thread at this point. I've just beat the dual dragonriders and ran through the area behind them. I went up the elevator, but I don't have a key to get into the cage at the top. I picked up another key running through that area, but I have no idea where it goes.The person right before that boss told me I should be looking for Vendrick, but I have no idea where he is an when I looked it up in the wiki there was just too much spoiler-y info so I closed the page. Can someone give me a gentle prod in the right direction?

Speaking of trying to find things while playing blind, I've hit a bit of a dead end. I'll try to be oblique here as to not spoil for anyone, though I'd expect pretty much anyone reading the thread at this point. I've just beat the dual dragonriders and ran through the area behind them. I went up the elevator, but I don't have a key to get into the cage at the top. I picked up another key running through that area, but I have no idea where it goes.The person right before that boss told me I should be looking for Vendrick, but I have no idea where he is an when I looked it up in the wiki there was just too much spoiler-y info so I closed the page. Can someone give me a gentle prod in the right direction?

there should be another boss fight after which an elevator carries you to the next area...shouldn't be far off from the dragonriders, the locked cage is a sidequest that you can't complete until you do the next area.

there should be another boss fight after which an elevator carries you to the next area...shouldn't be far off from the dragonriders, the locked cage is a sidequest that you can't complete until you do the next area.

Interesting. I thought I'd explored that area fairly thoroughly, but maybe I missed a turn.

Edit: Read a bit of the walkthrough in that area and I can't believe I forgot that. Thanks for the tip.