melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

I mean if we all matched it would be pretty stellar. Also for some reason

God of Desire, and Goddess of Bliss

sound pretty good. Do they have images for them in game? Visual aids are always good when picking out your deity.

as far as I know, those particular deities have no visual representation in game, though some are mentioned in text elsewhere

Apparently some hexes (at least Life Drain Patch) can hurt people while co-oping.  This is Dark Souls, so of course no one would ever abuse this for their own amusement, and the delight/horror of the Internet.

I'll never understand why people do stuff like that. I mean, if you were getting souls for it that'd be one thing, but you're wasting your own time as well as the host's.

But you're not wasting your own time. You're having a laugh. One thing that people seem to completely misunderstand about things like this is that the goal is not to progress in the game. The goal is to have fun.

Everyone has their own definition of fun.

I wouldn't enjoy trolling hosts like this, it's too mean spirited for my tastes.  But I can see how someone else would be entertained by it. 

Yeah, the morality/"okay-ness" of it is a separate discussion that I personally have no interest in pursuing.

Arguing morality/honor/whatever in regards to Dark Souls is pretty much as pointless as a discussion gets.  You can only control your own behavior and tell funny or terrible stories about other people's behavior.

I myself don't want to troll hosts though I accidentally once

killed the host in Pursuer with one of the ballistas. Sent him a message apologizing though, he was cool with it

I do enjoy hearing about it, and even enjoy when it happens to me usually.

Well I finished the game today. Non-story general comments on the ending, but spoilered in case anyone wants to go in expecting nothing:

the ending was incredibly abrupt, and I did not realize it was actually the end of the game until the credits started roling

I've picked up a decent idea of the story, but going to have to play it again to get more, most likely on the PC since that is so soon. There is also more to do after finishing the game (it doesn't sent you to NG+ immediately, you go back and can choose when to go to NG+, which is new)

You can now pre-load the PC version through Steam. 

     ☼

\[†]/

Ooohhh exciting. I just wrapped up what i wanted to do on PS3 this weekend, having beaten the game and all but 2 optional bosses (I may go back and do one of the 2). I'll preload when I get home then.

also

     ☼

\[†]/

is the best

e: I mean, super good

HOLY shit. I'm at the Dragon Shrine making my way up. Taking ages and I've picked up loads of gear so thought I'd try swapping out my 10+broadsword 10+heide sword combo. Flicked through my inventory, what's this? A Dragon's tooth? Bit goofy, but let's give it a swing.... HOLY SHIT! Where have you been all my life?!?

A Dragon's tooth? Bit goofy, but let's give it a swing.... HOLY SHIT! Where have you been all my life?!?

Isn't that Havel's weapon from the previous game? Goddamn.

is the best

e: I mean, super good

Pretty much the best emoticon ever.

Isn't that Havel's weapon from the previous game? Goddamn.

Yep.  For all my love of the big strength weapons, I actually didn't use it in my first playthrough (probably because of my silly love of the Malformed Skull and fists).  It will have to go back onto my list of shit to try once the PC version is out. 

Yep.  For all my love of the big strength weapons, I actually didn't use it in my first playthrough (probably because of my silly love of the Malformed Skull and fists).  It will have to go back onto my list of shit to try once the PC version is out. 

I'm playing an all-strength build for the first Dark Souls, but I don't think I will for Dark Souls 2, which I'm debating buying right now for the preorder weapons, which I don't even intend on using. It feels like dexterity is so much more versatile than strength in almost all situations...

I'm playing an all-strength build for the first Dark Souls, but I don't think I will for Dark Souls 2, which I'm debating buying right now for the preorder weapons, which I don't even intend on using. It feels like dexterity is so much more versatile than strength in almost all situations...

I think pound for pound dex builds are objectively better.  They get access to more weapons, with more move sets, use less stamina, swing faster, do good damage and weigh a ton less (to the point that you could equip 3 radically different dex weapons in DS2 and have them weigh less than equipping one big strength weapon).  With the changes to Dex scaling in DS2, you arguably need less of a stat investment for Dex builds as well, since they don't scale as well, no need to worry about cranking dex up a ton.  My love of strength builds is purely for my own entertainment and not any efficiency. 

As for pre-ordering, I'd only do it if you want to pre-load and get the soundtrack.  The bonus weapons are not particularly useful, and arguably worse than a lot of the starting equipment you can find/buy in the opening hour or two. 

Apparently there's a coupon for 25 percent off on Green Man Gaming right now that you can use on DS2, and get the price down to $37.50, so that's a pretty amazing deal for a pre-order.  And GMG is already sending out keys so you can pre-load.  I'd do it if I hadn't already pre-ordered on steam and didn't want to screw around with canceling and re-ordering. 

I did it! I completed Dark Souls 2. I don't have anything interesting to say that hasn't already been said, but I'm looking forward to my PC edition, so I can enjoy the PvP, which I avoided because the load time kills me.

Also, I tried to go DEX, but despite my best efforts, I got fed up with it, and recalling the fun I had with the club in Dark Souls 1, re-specced, upgraded the club to +10 and smashed some heads to victory. At the end of the day, it's the move set you're most comfortable with, over the damage it does. The club is my favorite weapon, hands down.

Also, does anyone know what's the deal with the final bosses' soul? Can't seem to do anything with it. Meh :/

...over the damage it does. The club is my favorite weapon, hands down.

The basic club may well be the single best Strength weapon in the game.  Not as quick and flashy as Dex weapons, but none of the downsides of the big weapons.  Two handing it or powerstancing really makes it shine even more.  Fantastic scaling and lots of enemies are weak to strike damage. 

Also, does anyone know what's the deal with the final bosses' soul? Can't seem to do anything with it. Meh :/

Umm, did you find

the third blacksmith? She's a humanoid bird creature locked in a secret room in the Shaded Ruins. You have to free her, then she will appear in her workshop in at the bottom of all the cliff dwellings in Brightstone Cove.  There are a bunch of boss souls that only she can smith into weapons.

And congrats on finishing it!

If you've got 4 or 5 Soul Vessels knocking about, are there any benefits of starting over with a new build, beyond experiencing the progression and growth from Paul Daniels to Dumbledore 'properly'?

Edit. Sorry, super UK-centric ref there. Paul Daniels was a celebrity magician here in the 80s, famed for his most impressive feat - having an improbably super fit wife/assistant.

All you people beaten the game and I'm just sittin' here waitin'. Pre-loaded it onto steam yesterday. Friday...come to me. 

I got the shipping confirmation email for my PC collector's edition last night. I am so ready for that ridiculous statue thing to show up at my door.

I'd lean towards suggesting NG+.  It's not the exact same.  There are new enemies knocking about, some boss fights change, the treasure changes in some locations, and there are a few items that vendors only sell in NG+ or NG++. 

If you want a different experience, just spec into a different build with a Soul Vessel.