melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

Are you referring to

the giants? Falling off the ledge and running through their zone was actually part of my route :D

Are you referring to

the giants? Falling off the ledge and running through their zone was actually part of my route :D

I was indeed, my route was

run as fast as possible past the goddamn poison heads and deal with it

I was indeed, my route was

run as fast as possible past the goddamn poison heads and deal with it

Listening to a podcast, I learned that

you can break curse jars with Heavy Arrows and Bolts, I'm assuming the same is true of the poison heads. I only ever tried with wooden arrows, didn't occur to me to use my more expensive ones.

I have been listening to it, was really excited when they had Paddy from Twin Humanities on.  That's the show I want to start back up, but the other half of it has apparently had some sort of throat infection/problem that has knocked his voice out for the last couple of weeks, delaying the start of their DS2 shows. 

Oh, I'm sorry, but I couldn't help laughing so hard reading the summoning bit.

It's endlessly hilarious, even if I do it! I guess it's the juxtaposition of the noble, serious tone - the outfits and deep bows - and the slapstick. Like the Fellowship nodding at one another before departing Rivendell, the music swelling... and Boromir falling off the cliff. Kills me every time.

I went to Shaded Ruins first because I wanted to get through while hollow (is there any way to negate the effect of those curse pots other than destroying them quickly?). Did the female boss and reached the next area(s), then revisited Lost Bastille and

depetrified Straid and defeated the Gargoyles in Belfry Luna.

I've now tackled a few bosses alone, which was satisfying. I've managed to defeat several invaders. I'm still a little fuzzy on the dark spirits - you can summon dark spirits to fight against from red summon signs while hollow? I've tried to summon a couple but the connection was lost. Also I'm hoarding all the boss souls - apart from the afore-mentioned petrified person, is there any other use for them?

A problem I have is that I tend to be inflexible when it comes to weapon tactics. I like to be nimble. I'm starting to remember to use my shield, which is unsurprisingly useful. I'm rocking the same Broadsword I've had for ages (though now it's +10). I'm levelling up a Zweihandler for shits and giggles, but it cripples my mobility by comparison so I never use it. I expect I'll have to upgrade at some point. What relatively low-level weapons are you guys attached to, for whatever reason?

I'm thinking of quitting. This end game is dragging on foreeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrr. DOnt get me wrong i have absolutely loved the game, its just reached a point where there's no new areas to explore, all but one bonfire has been lit, i'm lvl 150 and i'm constantly packing like 50,000 - 100,000 souls, so i keep going back to madula to pointlessly level up as nothing seems to have any effect now. Just fucking end! Die already. i wanted to have this game finished last weekend, i've had infamous sat there waiting for me for almost a week now. I've already killed the final boss whilst helping someone else so there's no surprises there...

i've spoke to the stupid dragon, i've killed the stupid giant lord/king. Do i have to do all five memories? what do i have to do to put this game out of my misery

I've now tackled a few bosses alone, which was satisfying. I've managed to defeat several invaders. I'm still a little fuzzy on the dark spirits - you can summon dark spirits to fight against from red summon signs while hollow? I've tried to summon a couple but the connection was lost. Also I'm hoarding all the boss souls - apart from the afore-mentioned petrified person, is there any other use for them?

A problem I have is that I tend to be inflexible when it comes to weapon tactics. I like to be nimble. I'm starting to remember to use my shield, which is unsurprisingly useful. I'm rocking the same Broadsword I've had for ages (though now it's +10). I'm levelling up a Zweihandler for shits and giggles, but it cripples my mobility by comparison so I never use it. I expect I'll have to upgrade at some point. What relatively low-level weapons are you guys attached to, for whatever reason?

There are two places to trade boss souls for things.  MOST souls don't overlap between the two, but there are a few that do. 

Dark Spirits?  What does the summon sign look like?

Sounds like you're making great progress now though!

On my main character, I keep a pair of +10 regular clubs on hand for emergencies.  I bought a club early, loved it, and just haven't been able to give it up.  I prefer my fists for most encounters, then the Malformed Skull for things that need big hit damage, but the clubs get broke out when I need something in between. 

I decided to mess around with learning a bit about speedrunning and a no-bonfire run last night.  Not doing a proper speedrun, just trying to use some of their tactics to facilitate no-bonfire.  I...kinda like it.  It adds something back to the game that's more like DeS and DS1.  You can light a fire, and still return to it with a Homeward Bone or death.  But you don't necessarily want to light every fire if you're trying to be as efficient as possible and minimize backtracking.  So it makes the time between bonfires a lot longer, if you die, it's a much bigger deal to get your bloodstain back.  You have to manage healing and weapon degradation a lot more.  I wouldn't have guessed that what DkS2 really needed was something to make it more challenging. 

I'm thinking of quitting. This end game is dragging on foreeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrr. DOnt get me wrong i have absolutely loved the game, its just reached a point where there's no new areas to explore, all but one bonfire has been lit, i'm lvl 150 and i'm constantly packing like 50,000 - 100,000 souls, so i keep going back to madula to pointlessly level up as nothing seems to have any effect now. Just fucking end! Die already. i wanted to have this game finished last weekend, i've had infamous sat there waiting for me for almost a week now. I've already killed the final boss whilst helping someone else so there's no surprises there...

i've spoke to the stupid dragon, i've killed the stupid giant lord/king. Do i have to do all five memories? what do i have to do to put this game out of my misery

I'm pretty sure that

the only condition necessary to spawn the final boss is to kill the Giant Lord and defeat the Throne Watcher/Defender. Have you been back to the Throne of Want since beating the Giant Lord.

no not since killing the giant lord. oh goody i should be able to finish it off within 30mins then phew. i killed the Throne Watcher/Defender in about 6 seconds, i just hit them with 2 firestorms and the melted

Sounds like you are just super ready to be done, but I will say that

the Giant Memories are all pretty neat, and are some of the best set pieces in the game. Each of them is relatively short, and the 3 important ones are in the Forest of the Lost Giants.

I considered it briefly after reading your comment, but as soon as I started playing I realised I am so done. The veil has been lifted and all that is left is annoyance. Why did I bother collecting all those things and opening all those chests when I didn't even read the description let alone use 99% of the items. That's my fault not the games, well, partly the games.

So just finished it..... Um, I suppose after all that I could do with a good sit down, fitting I guess

My girlfriend will be glad to have me back

Two more weeks before the PC version comes out. Sounds like the frame rate is pretty solid even if the graphics quality itself isn't all that much better. It's worth the wait for me to have smooth frames, variable frame rates kill me.

filepicker%2FoJVaXek3QMiMDzUXu9xz_harlem

whenever I'm stuck on a boss, it's because I'm not using my mace and great shield

Two more weeks before the PC version comes out. Sounds like the frame rate is pretty solid even if the graphics quality itself isn't all that much better. It's worth the wait for me to have smooth frames, variable frame rates kill me.

I very much wanted to play the game on day one for the community discovery aspect, plus I spend more than a few hours a week watching Dark Souls speed runs, so waiting for the PC version was out of the question. But after seeing how much better the frame rate is I think I'm going to save new game + for another time, when the PC version drops in price. I have zero regrets playing the game on console but I am hesitant to tackle this game's "hard mode" without that steady performance. There is a theory going around that all those terrible, terrible hit boxes will be fixed when the game is at 60 fps. 

Dark Spirits?  What does the summon sign look like?

They're like the normal ones, but red.

Demon's Souls is £6.49 on PAL PSN until April 30th. I really don't need a another epic 80 hour slog as I'm knee-deep in 2, but I'm interested in comparing the two and seeing the evolution. Do you think I'd get enough from the experience (with no servers) to warrant a purchase? I'll probably get DS on PC when it goes on sale.

Speaking of podcasts, I'm just going to plug Bonfireside Chat, which y'all may enjoy. 

Thanks for that.

They're like the normal ones, but red.

Demon's Souls is £6.49 on PAL PSN until April 30th. I really don't need a another epic 80 hour slog as I'm knee-deep in 2, but I'm interested in comparing the two and seeing the evolution. Do you think I'd get enough from the experience (with no servers) to warrant a purchase? I'll probably get DS on PC when it goes on sale.

Ah, that's the Red Soaptsone.  It lets you summon an invader for a duel.  As host, you don't really get anything for it other than the fun of the fight, unlike the Dragon Eye. 

Dark Souls used a Peer-to-Peer connection for multi, not servers, so multiplayer will theoretically always work as long as there are other players and you can connect to the verification server.  Given the unknowns about GFWW, the PSN version might actually have a longer online shelf life than the PC version. 

I very much wanted to play the game on day one for the community discovery aspect, plus I spend more than a few hours a week watching Dark Souls speed runs, so waiting for the PC version was out of the question. But after seeing how much better the frame rate is I think I'm going to save new game + for another time, when the PC version drops in price. I have zero regrets playing the game on console but I am hesitant to tackle this game's "hard mode" without that steady performance. There is a theory going around that all those terrible, terrible hit boxes will be fixed when the game is at 60 fps. 

It was really tough for me to make the call not to buy it on 360 or PS3. What ended up tipping the ballance for me is that I like hanging out on Mumble talking to friends when I play and I share a TV with a few others, both of which have contributed to my near-abandonment of consoles.

Yeah, I have no regrets about buying it on PS3, I am still loving it, taking it super slow. I probably won't do NG+ though, once I beat it, since I have already purchased the PC version and will make a new character on there. I often end up playing on my PS3 which is hooked to my PC monitor, but I have my laptop next to me and hang out in an irc channel dedicated to talking about d* souls, asking about things as I see them, though intentionally leaving a lot to myself to discover, since I only get that once.

Super excited to play it on PC too though.

So I decided to restart my no bonfire run as a no death/no bonfire run.  Figured I want to pull this off eventually, so I might as well get a practice run in before the PC version comes out.  So far I've killed 6 bosses (including the Ruin Sentinels!) and cleared 3 areas.  Heading into Huntsman's Copse next.  Just approaching every area very methodically, not taking any risks.  Pretty much dumping all my points into Str, Health, Carry Weight and Stamina. 

I'm playing online so that I can use co-op sessions to refill my estus and repair my weapons.  But even with that, I'm having to swap between 4 weapons sometimes between being summoned.  Now that I'm out of the introductory areas, I'm starting to get real worried about getting invaded. 

There are probably 5 or 6 bosses/areas that are really terrifying to me for a no death run.  Most of them are all ways to be one shot (falling to death).  I'm already pushing 300K Soul Memory, so I'm hoping that it may be possible to hit 1M and skip a couple of the Lords. 

It's super tense and stressful, but I'm having fun and liking it.  I can't play when I'm tired though, I damn near plopped down at the fire in Majula last night right before I quit. 

I did it!

Praise the Sun! therefore Praise the Sun!

I was starting to feel Mington's weariness towards the end and just started summoning for every boss to plow through to the end.

This game is wonderful but it isn't the masterpiece Dark Souls is.

I hit a wall on Friday, had some online issues. It's strange how quickly your opinion can change if you don't step away for a while. Reyturner's comment in the DS thread on areas going from  terror -> discovery -> utility -> banality sums it up. I got stuck on the Royal Rat Big Bastard. I can't get in under him and still haven't defeated it. I can't seem to summon help in that area. I guess I'll return there when I'm souped up. Then again, levelling is plateauing.

Anyway, cooping has brought me back round today and got me through Drangleic to the watery blue area beyond. I'll probably do the rest of the game by calling in the cavalry. I've not too proud to enlist bros and I don't want the great experience I've had so far soured by a sloggy backend.

Praise the Sun! therefore Praise the Sun!

:tup:

I died a lot in the knee deep water area even when enlisting two helpers. Actually I think the problem was that I couldn't ever get two helpers as next to no one was throwing down the white soap stone

Have had similar problems in that area. Also had a strange moment where I thought someone had turned on a radio in my flat, but actually it was the death cry of one of those casters. It IS the intro 'wwoooOOO' from Don't Stop Til You Get Enough.

That whole area was nerfed in 1.03. A high magic resist shield and a two handed club I could one-shot the mages and sea hags with was the only thing that saved me.

Well the no death half of my run ended in a most unexpected way.  I bit it as a phantom in Sinner's Rise (which dying as a phantom counts as a death for that).  This is after I had already cleared it human and co-oped it multiple times.  I had cleared out through the Iron Keep, and backtracked to the Rise, as I had skipped it earlier.  I decided that it would be safer to grind up to 1 million Soul Memory to open a door rather than collect all four Lord Souls (whoops!), since I was already at 650K.  And then...

Those fucking exploding zombies got me. I thought my host was heading up the right stairs to clear out the zombie there, so I headed up the left. Turned out my host changed his mind, and headed down the middle. He aggroed and failed to kill a zombie, and apparently its explosion reaches vertically enough to level me on a floor above it. The zombie I was headed for did his flopsplosion just as I was coming out of my standing up animation, and I didn't have enough time to kill or get away from him. Them bastards are meaner than the Sinner herself.

The nerf to the Lost Sinner makes her a cakewalk, which is a shame.  Before she was one of the most challenging and satisfying bosses there was.  Now she's nothing.  I could easily take 4 hits from her wearing some of the weakest armor in the game (but it boosts souls from kills, so that's why I was wearing it).