melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

hmm i don't know, my inventory is full of shit i don't use :)

let me google... ah no. Looks like its in the same place as the blacksmith.

I didn't know that the bosses get a health boost when you coop up against them. knowing that i probably could have taken down a lot without any help. Although that horsey fucked me up when i was the last man standing. I mainly just use jolly cooperation to take the heat of myself.

I killed all those bastard rats alone whilst undead with half max health, i feel like i earned a badge of honour that day

The Dull Ember is actually in

the Iron Keep. It's not hidden per se, but it does require a jump to get to it. Once you have it, enchanting weapons is way more straight forward in this game than others, you just need one elemental stone to enchant it, and still use regular titanite to upgrade. And you can enchant any level of weapon, chimes, staffs, boss weapons, whatever.

Nice, taking out the rats with half health is an achievement!  If you didn't realize it, you HAVE to fight them solo.  It's one of 2 areas in the game that I've found where the white soapstones are completely disabled. 

Yeah i saw that the soap stone wasn't available there. it took me a few goes (deaths) until i realised i had to focus on

the especially ugly rat :)

and by then i was down to half max health, so i though i'm not wasting any items i'm just going to keep plugging away until i defeated it. Maybe like 4 attempts after i knew what i was doing.

Next things on my to do list are,

1. Get some magic weapons, i want to zhoosh up my boring spear
  2. Buy all fire seeds off of that stone lady prodigy1.jpg
  3. Get a worthwhile boss weapon (i had to google how to get them) so i started chatting with the stone man. They all seemed a bit pants really. Any recommendations? A replacement for my royal greatsword would be good

the especially ugly rat :)

I'm not usually this dense, but

I didn't notice the ugly rat until my wife pointed him out to me, on my fourth or fifth time through there. I had just been circling the room, throwing out fire and taking potshots at rats with my club.

On Boss and unique weapons....I haven't been that impressed yet.  There are a lot more weapons that take balanced stats, so if you're min/maxing stats, those are typically out.  There are a lot of them that are neat designs, and could probably be powerful.  But Boss weapons take 15 Petrified Dragon Bones to fully level up.  I only have like 7 of those and I'm most of the way through the game.  I'm figuring I've either missed something, or they have to be more common soon.  I haven't seen any dragons yet, and I know there are dragons, somewhere.  I've made most of the boss weapons, briefly played around with them, but with the lack of upgrade materials, my common weapons are just so much more powerful. 

I did use some Dragon Bow with magic damage on it for a long time before respeccing and giving up my Dex that was required to use it.  That's been the only Boss weapon I've spent a lot of time with.  It's slow firing for a bow, but really nice through the early/mid game, even unleveled.

I'm roleplaying a primitive demigod.  I roll with bone, wood and lightning as my main weapons.  I wear rags as clothes and carry a Malformed Skull +10 a regular Club +9.  Chuck lightning spears at anything at range.  When I get summoned for co-op, I laugh at all these fancy lords, with their shiny armor and their metal weapons.   

Plus I never leveled up my carry weight, so I can't actually wear shit for armor and carry my skull and a shield.

I entered the Company of Champions this evening though, revisited a few areas and then continued with my next area.  It does make the game harder, but not brutally so.  I kind of like it, the difficulty feels right for what I like in Souls.  Things had been getting a touch on the easy side.  Awestones are rarer than Titanite Slabs though.  I've got 6 now, and 4 of those game from going offline to force some NPC phantoms to spawn. 

This is the covenant where you kneel at the stone right? is it permanent? I wanted to try it, but didn't want to fuck up my first playthrough.

I did that rat boss on my first go

I realised killing the rats aren't lowering it's HP bar, and so I looked for anything different, and found the odd looking one and squashed it.

It was a super cool boss though. I loved the implementation of it. I have also beaten every boss solo so far. Currently on the Looking Glass Knight. I found out something cool in the hall before the boss

that if you attack the statues before they get up, they break in 2 hits. I manage to destroy 3 horse knights before they wake up.

This is the covenant where you kneel at the stone right? is it permanent? I wanted to try it, but didn't want to fuck up my first playthrough.

Nope, not permanent, you can enter and leave as you want, just like any other covenant.  I left it when I got to my next boss door, so that I could go in as a white phantom and get a preview of the boss.  Plus there is no benefit to being in it for bosses, you don't get awestones, just a harder boss.  I wish I had been using it off and on throughout the game now, whenever I didn't need to actively be in another covenant. That's likely what I'll do with any future characters.  And anything you've done in a covenant seems to keep its progress when you leave, unlike DS1, where you would lose like half of what you had contributed when you left.  I did contribute a couple of stones before I left, and it certainly looks like I kept my level on the leaderboards.  It does take a few minutes for the leaderboard to update though, so if you give stones and then immediately check, don't freak out that they weren't counted.

I did that rat boss on my first go

I realised killing the rats aren't lowering it's HP bar, and so I looked for anything different, and found the odd looking one and squashed it.

It was a super cool boss though. I loved the implementation of it. I have also beaten every boss solo so far. Currently on the Looking Glass Knight. I found out something cool in the hall before the boss

that if you attack the statues before they get up, they break in 2 hits. I manage to destroy 3 horse knights before they wake up.

I really liked the rat boss as well.  

I have a question about that hallway tip. 

Did you get any experience, or did they drop any items when you killed them that way? Those guys are supposed to be able to drop Awestones, so if that was a fast way to run through there, I would try it a few times.

I have a question about that hallway tip. 

Did you get any experience, or did they drop any items when you killed them that way? Those guys are supposed to be able to drop Awestones, so if that was a fast way to run through there, I would try it a few times.

No. Maybe souls? I'll check when I next play.

One thing I miss from the first game is the lack of tail drops! I've cut off a couple of Bosses' tails, and they just flop around comically. :( Namely

The scorpion lass and the medusa lady

Has anyone got any tail drops?

One thing I miss from the first game is the lack of tail drops! I've cut off a couple of Bosses' tails, and they just flop around comically. :( Namely

The scorpion lass and the medusa lady

Has anyone got any tail drops?

Nope, you just get a cool animation, as far as I know.  You can also cut off some things that are not tails. 

You can actually cut the arm off the Rotten, and it drops a Pharos Stone. But no unique weapons or items or anything.

I miss cutting off tails as well.  Given that new stuff appears through NG++, I keep hoping someone discovers something like that.  Or the fact that an animation exists for it means that From could add stuff at a future date. 

Ugh, if anyone has any interest in the Company of Champions Rank 3 reward...it's brutal to get to.   That's pretty much what I've focused on this weekend, as I really, really, really want that reward and its the only way to get it.  If you want to know what it is...

it's a ring that adds Str and Dex scaling to your bare fists, and from what I've read lets you Power Stance your bare fists, which you can't normally do. This excites me on a lot of different levels.

I'm SL123 right now.  I've run through multiple late game areas and other areas I think would be likely for an invasion, and nothing.  I've gone through multiple areas that have enemies that can drop Awestones, have probably killed upwards of 100 enemies with the drop chance, and have received 1 Awestone from them.  So that leaves NPC invasions.  I've exhausted all the ones the game has.  The most useful ones don't respawn (tied to sidequest that has 2 paths).  I did respawn a couple of bosses to get their NG+ reward and they have an invader in their areas, but I don't want to ratchet up the difficult for required areas in future playthroughs.  So that leaves basically 3 areas, the two bell towers and the Doors of Pharos.  The bell towers are way faster than the Doors, so I've been focusing there. The first bell tower can actually spawn 2 invasions if you are offline, but the second one is a brutal fight once you've dropped some Bonfire Ascetics and you have to rekill the boss everytime to use another.  Sidenote about killing that boss:

I felt like a total badass when I took out the Gargoyles on NG++ difficulty, with them boosted by having one summon, but my summon got killed on the first 2 gargoyles. I never soloed the Gargoyles, so doing it on a boosted difficulty felt really good.

So really, the second bell tower is the only option.  Difficulty seemed to stop increasing at NG9+.  I think I've got it at a +15 right now. Them little bastards can almost one shot me with an arrow, and any other attack can OSK me.  Ended last night with 34 stones, only 16 more to go. 

It almost feels like From expected/intended these two towers to be possible farm spots though.  One has 3 Skeptic's Spices, and the other has 3 Simpleton's Spices, so if you need spices, they're the places to burn Ascetics.

This might be too late, but if you keep talking to the merchant in the Iron Keep, he'll give you the covetous gold serpent ring. It increases your item drop rate. I also wonder if it's similar to dark souls in that being human also increases your drop rate. Finally, check out the king's passage for invaders. People drop loads of invasion signs because

there's a chance you can get summoned by the looking glass knight

Hope this helps!

This might be too late, but if you keep talking to the merchant in the Iron Keep, he'll give you the covetous gold serpent ring. It increases your item drop rate. I also wonder if it's similar to dark souls in that being human also increases your drop rate. Finally, check out the king's passage for invaders. People drop loads of invasion signs because

there's a chance you can get summoned by the looking glass knight

Hope this helps!

Thanks, unfortunately the only PC invasion that counts is if someone uses a Cracked Red Eye orb.  The red soapstone, dragon eye and Bell Keeper invasions won't drop an Awestone.  And no one has figured out if the Awestone drop rate is tied to the regular drop chance or not.  I've got the Covetous Gold Ring +2, plus 2 pieces of armor that increase drop chances, I've tried using Rusty Coins, and I'm almost always human.  The only Awestone I saw drop happened before I had the Covetous Gold Ring +2.

Oh, I did finally get one other rare drop though!  I finally got a Greatbow!  I was breaking up the monotony of killing Bell Keepers by going and killing some of the Greatbow archers in the area (the room that has 4 of them in it), and on the final cycle (no more respawns) the next to last one dropped a Greatbow.  Unfortunately my current spec can't use it, but I can't wait to try it out once I respec when I get 50 Awestones.  The two Greatbows are both super hard to get.  One is a rare drop, and the other takes either NG+ or using an Ascetic on one of the Primal Fire bosses. 

I met my first mimic a few days ago and i cost me 40,000 souls grrrrrrrrrrr

That's a major bummer of an amount to lose!  I think they managed to make the things even more terrifying.  On my third one I finally figured out what the visual cue is to tell the difference! 

I did hit Rank 3 in the Company of Champions yesterday, finally!  Once I had the flow down, it only took about 6 minutes per stone running through Belfry Sol.  If you really like Fist weapons, then this is a thing you should think about doing. 

Details about the final reward:

It's pretty amazing. The Vanquisher's Seal ring does let you power stance your fists and adds major damage to them. I'm at a 40 Str and 25 Dex, and its about 327 for each hand, 362 with the Ring of Blades +1 on. They are about 80 points more damaging than a Caestus +9, It's very similar damage to my basic Club +9.

Pros:

0 weight

Infinite durability

Can be power stanced

Also highly effective one handed

High damage for the speed/weight of weapon

Fairly fast speed compared to other similar damage weapons

Cons

Short range

You can only carry 1 other item in each hand in order to access your bare hand. If you have 2, you just swap between them and never get the bare hand.

Hit detection on large enemies (bosses/tall knights) is wonky, particularly with the strong Power Stance attack.

Can't be enchanted or use resin

Those cons look bad, but I have to say that overall I am absolutely loving this ring. It's crushingly effective against all standard to medium sized enemies. Fists are fast enough that I've actually had a lot of success engaging with multiple enemies simultaneously. And it's amazing in PvP.

So armed with that, I joined the Dragon Covenant and engaged in some dueling.  People do not appear to expect a single character to be armed with a Lightning Avelyn +10, a bare fist, a great shield and a Katana.  I was batting about 50/50 with this build, which is really good in dueling PvP for me.  The Avelyn would force characters to get up close to me, and it harassed the hell out of mages.  I actually killed 2 mages only using the Avelyn.  Once they were close, switch to bare fist in right hand and katana in left.  If I got right up on them, my fist would stun lock them until I ran out of stamina, and if they tried to back off, the strong attack of the katana was there to impale them. 

Beating people with fancy weapons to death with my bare hands is the most satisfying thing I've done in this game so far. The Avelyn continues to be my favorite weapon in all of the Souls games though.  That thing gets expensive, but lord it is awesome.  Double so since you can manually aim it now.

For my second play through I'm trying to do things very differently, which means no fist weapons, even though I have a strength character this time :(.

I'm alternating between a couple of great shields made from boss souls. I lasted about five hours with five adaptability, had to put that up to 12 to alleviate the rage (there's only so many times I can hear myself groan, "I fucking rolled!").

The standard mace is one of the best weapons in the game, along with the basic version of the club. I've reinforced a great axe and a large club to the same level and I'm somewhat disappointed to say that so far the humble little mace does much better then its big brothers. I still use the big weapons occasionally to feel like a bad ass. That's one difference between DS1 and this game: you are allowed to sacrifice efficiency for a little style due to the reduced difficulty.

For my second play through I'm trying to do things very differently, which means no fist weapons, even though I have a strength character this time :(.

I'm alternating between a couple of great shields made from boss souls. I lasted about five hours with five adaptability, had to put that up to 12 to alleviate the rage (there's only so many times I can hear myself groan, "I fucking rolled!").

The standard mace is one of the best weapons in the game, along with the basic version of the club. I've reinforced a great axe and a large club to the same level and I'm somewhat disappointed to say that so far the humble little mace does much better then its big brothers. I still use the big weapons occasionally to feel like a bad ass. That's one difference between DS1 and this game: you are allowed to sacrifice efficiency for a little style due to the reduced difficulty.

I really need to try raising my Adaptability.  It's at a 3 (fuck yeah, I'm agile as a drunk moose), and I've never put a single point into it. I just haven't felt like I'd be able to make any kind of objective judgment about its value like I can damage, defense, spell selection or stamina use. 

If you want to play around with a large weapon, farm the Malformed Skull from the big guys downstairs in Sinner's Rise, upgrade it and infuse it to your liking.  Shite durability, but I just used Spices to lower the cost of Repair down to 10.  Make sure you check out infusing it.  See this

if you want to watch someone go totally boss with it.

Huh, weird, I just did some searching, and I'm wondering if my Malformed Skull is bugged, or if everyone who has used it is being quiet about infusing it.

I have 2 weapons that infuse in unique ways.  The Aldia Hammer and the Malformed Skull.  Both of them do not have their base damage drop when infused with an element, and in fact the base damage increases slightly.  I originally thought that the Skull was intentionally designed this way, to offset its extremely low durability.  Then I found the Aldia Hammer, and its the same way, but is otherwise an average hammer.  And all of the other super low durability weapons get reduced base damage when infusing, as do other weapons without scaling.  There are clearly a fair number of people who have tried the Skull, I can't imagine that by now people wouldn't be talking about its unique infusion ability if it was that way for everyone.  Can anyone who has it check in their game?

The Malformed Skull has no stat scaling (bleh), maybe that's why infusing it it doesn't reduce its damage. Does the Aldia Hammer? 

The Aldia Hammer does have scaling.  I also have other weapons without stat scaling, like the Malformed Shell, and its base damage is reduced when scaling.  I've checked every weapon I have, and only these two infuse this way.  I'm starting to think they are bugged in my game, as I can't find any evidence of other people experiencing this.  Every forum I've found talking about the Skull just insists it needs to be made Raw.  If this is a bug that can randomly happen to some weapons, it's kind a fucking broken.  I don't remember the exact stats, buy my Skull is something like 522 Physical and 171 Lightning.  And it can still be boosted by sunlight blade since it's a lightning weapon :blink: .  This resulted in a couple of OSKs and a bunch of 2 shot kills in PvP (to be fair it was the Bell Tower, which is not a bastion of competence) until I started feeling bad and put it away.  I don't like PvP fights that end in less than 10 seconds. I spend more time on loading screens than I do actually fighting.

As for the lack of stat scaling, it's actually awesome on the Skull.  As far as I know, if made Raw, it is the hardest hitting physical weapon in the game (maybe high level Mundane or high Dex/Str S ratings might beat it).  But you can get access to using it by two-handing it with just an 18 Str.  There's really nothing at the 18 Str level that is even comparable to it, and there aren't many things at the 35 Str level that match it as well.  The downsides are it's crazy low durability and the expected slowness of using one of the Great Hammers. 

I feel like I'm posting too much in this thread, but I really am loving this game so much, and learning new shit every day. 

Dark Souls 2 officially delivers the biggest troll move possible.  Spoilers regarding the boss at the end of Drangleic Castle if you want to avoid knowing too much about that.

You can heal the Looking Glass Knight with Warmth as a summoned aid to the knight.   :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: 

The rage I would feel if this ever happens to me.  But....I kinda want to do it now.  I'm totally honorable about 90 percent of the time in the souls games, but fuck they do bring out a little sadistic streak in me sometimes when I learn shit like this. 

I just killed the Song Demon! What a fucking horrible level, but the boss was great. Me and my missus both reacted with the same disgust when it opened it's mouth, but after 4 or so attempts, it was pretty easy to work out what to do and when to attack and stuff. Great fight! Now onto more horrible places! T_T

Well, I "finished" Dark Souls 2 last night, turned out I was even closer than I had realized.  I think I had a loose grasp on what was going on by the time I finished. 

Ultimately it was a bit anticlimatic though. In Demon's Souls, you had to fight your way past the phantom of a character who had been terribly kind to you the whole game, then face off against the demon that was pretending to be his father in an epic and brutal fight. Then you go to the weird place, and all of that is really cool. In Dark, you get the Kiln of the First Flame and all the Black Knights, which is a pretty amazing area. And in this one, you just open a door and walk down a long, winding hallway, to fight a boss you literally just heard about for the first time after opening the door. Meh. I get that she was the Queen and that there are major ties back to Dark Souls, and the story is probably deeper than what I picked up on. But overall, not a strong ending.

And the final fight was surprisingly easy for a high health strength build.  Just get up on her, whack, whack, circle strafe, whack, whack, dodge, whack, whack, dead.

I still have 2 optional bosses to fight before going into NG+, both of which look really, really hard.  I tried one of them last night, and got OSKed a few times before deciding to quit for the night. 

Overall, judging DS2 against its predecessors, I feel it holds up very well.  It's not the best game in the series, and it has some problems, but it's still a damned fine game.  I'd break down the games like this:

Demon's Souls: Best atmosphere, good world, great difficulty, but marred by the World/Character Tendency system, which is a broken, terrible idea

Dark Souls: Best world and characters, good difficulty, but marred by some technical issues and lack of dedicated servers.  I also feel like the combat in it is the least balanced.

Dark Souls 2: Best combat and difficulty, many small improvements like no longer needlessly punishing a player for experimentation (losing progress in a covenant, ability to respect).   Lackluster world, story and characters. 

I'll explain the combat and difficulty thoughts.  Combat finally feels like there are thousands of possible combinations that are all going to be really good, for both PvP and PvE.  Dual wielding and twin blades add new dimensions to the combat.  Previous gimmick weapons (whip and fists) now have really good roles to serve. 

As for difficulty, the base game is probably easier than the previous two.  But, From Software gave you tools, the Company of Champions and Bonfire Ascetics.  You want a harder game, you can have a harder game. 

I'm going to play more, at least take this character partway through NG+, then probably take a break for a few weeks until the PC version comes out, which I still have pre-ordered.

I just killed the Song Demon! What a fucking horrible level, but the boss was great. Me and my missus both reacted with the same disgust when it opened it's mouth, but after 4 or so attempts, it was pretty easy to work out what to do and when to attack and stuff. Great fight! Now onto more horrible places! T_T

I really enjoyed that area, and I was surprised to hear how many people hated it. It was the perfect setting for that part of the game, I wasn't expecting anything so beautiful and mysterious. I also enjoyed getting my butt kicked by three simple enemy types working in concert. There's quite a few interactions going on there, with the singing of the dryads keeping the little brown demons asleep, the hammer guys only showing up when your own hammer is about to whack a wizard, the priest at the end who heals everyone... I wish every part of the game was this tough and nuanced.

I took down the two big optional bosses tonight!  The really big one,

the ancient dragon

, I got on my first shot.  Of course I respecced back to a lightning slinging faith build.  Last night taught me that my melee-fu was not the equal of that fight.  I also took down a third optional fight that requires NG+ or a Bonfire Ascetic,

double fucking Pursuers! :devil: :devil:

That was the single hardest fight in the game. 

Then I did some more PvP on the Iron Keep bridge.  I continue to love my punching crossbowman.  Getting through the Company of Champions was totally worth it.  Anyone else doing much dueling, or mostly sticking with single player and co-op stuff?

I really enjoyed that area, and I was surprised to hear how many people hated it. It was the perfect setting for that part of the game, I wasn't expecting anything so beautiful and mysterious. I also enjoyed getting my butt kicked by three simple enemy types working in concert. There's quite a few interactions going on there, with the singing of the dryads keeping the little brown demons asleep, the hammer guys only showing up when your own hammer is about to whack a wizard, the priest at the end who heals everyone... I wish every part of the game was this tough and nuanced.

I'd agree that it's one of the best designed areas of the game, in all ways (mechanically, visually and audio).  Yeah, it's really hard, but beautiful and everything fits.

THIS GAME!  I had the most fun for the last hour helping people through one of the hardest parts of the game, in what amounts to a hidden co-op mode. 

I don't want to spoil anything about this area, but there's a very specific area where you can invade other players as a unique type of phantom.  For those who want to know, it's

the 3 Dark Chasm of Old dungeons that you have to go through for the Pilgrims of the Dark covenant.

This phantom form can both target the host and normal enemies, unlike regular invasions where the enemies pretend you aren't there and you can't hurt them.  Of course the player you are invading assumes the worst and that you are there to kill them.  I would find the host, Praise the hell out of the Sun (the universal gesture for "I'm here to help"), and then run off and start slaughtering their enemies for them.  Most of them seemed to get what I was doing.  Twice I let myself get killed, as I couldn't get the host player to back off and I didn't want to actually fight them.

The first time I did it, I found the host hiding in a back corner, and he just started continually prostrating himself.  I had to actually message him that I was there to help to get him to stop.  He was clearly not doing well there. 

I got several nice messages, and almost everyone ended up prostrating themselves once the enemies were gone.  And then I would disappear in a puff of smoke (Black Separation Crystal).

There's absolutely no benefit to do this other than the fun of it.  You don't get any of the souls the enemies drop, and you only get a reward if you kill the host.  It feels like being Batman.  Swoop in, save the day, and disappear into the dark.  Hopefully I made the night of quite a few players.  And now I need more Cracked Red Eye orbs.  Time to head for NG+.

After your stories, I can't wait for the PC version so I can play online.

I was just at Drangleic castle in my second playthrough (lightning slinger) when someone responded to my ad to buy the disc off me. A very sad day. Now I can't decide if my first playthrough on PC will be redoing Faith, trying a raw build, doing all the NPC sidequests and aiming for NG+7, or doing a covenant of champions playthrough.

I think any future characters I make will just start as a Deprived.  It wastes a few points on a specific min/max build, but will give the greatest flexibility for respeccing and trying a bunch of stuff.

• Get a worthwhile boss weapon (i had to google how to get them) so i started chatting with the stone man. They all seemed a bit pants really. Any recommendations? A replacement for my royal greatsword would be good

I originally replied to this that I wasn't very impressed with Boss Weapons.  I was wrong!  They're great!  I just hadn't realized the differences in upgrading.  Boss Weapons upgrade better than any other weapon in the game.  In general:

Normal titanite weapons: Base damage doubles going to +10, minor scaling improvements

Twinkling titanite weapons: Often have significantly higher base damage than normal weapons, base damage only goes up by 50ish percent to +5, minor scaling improvements

Boss Weapons: Typically low starting damage, but gain massive improvement upgrading to +5.  Some weapons look like they triple in damage.  I hadn't realized that their upgrade path was so much more than common and twinkling weapons.  Until I hit the late game stuff, I just never had enough material to mess around with them.  Seems like they are really geared for very late game and NG+.  I've got a bow from one of the later enemies that I'm dying to use, but need to put some more points back into Faith to use it.

Ah nice to know! I finally got the Dull Ember last night, haven't given it to that blacksmith yet as i got side tracked into the princesses bell tower? Anyway i took on all the gargoyles on my own ooooooosh

I'm rocking a +10 Royal Great sword which makes mincemeat of most normal enemys