melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

Has anyone found any big two-handed swords? I'm looking for a zweihander equivalent and so far I have the Bastard Sword, but it feels a bit short and weaker than what I'm used to (Claymore in DeS and zweihander in DkS), so I'm hesitating upgrading it too far.

F*** that boss, with a flaming halberd. 

Is this advice or anger?

Is this advice or anger?

lol probably a little bit of both.

I've got to stop reading this thread. Still over a month to go until the PC best version is released.

Is this advice or anger?

Mostly anger, if I was going to advise, I'd say go with lightning (worked for me). 

I also feel like I did the Bastille out of order, that I was a hair underleveled for when I was there.  It was totally doable, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up going somewhere else and discover that it's super easy.

Has anyone found any big two-handed swords? I'm looking for a zweihander equivalent and so far I have the Bastard Sword, but it feels a bit short and weaker than what I'm used to (Claymore in DeS and zweihander in DkS), so I'm hesitating upgrading it too far.

I've only found one Greatsword so far. I think I got it from 

a body after beating the Pursuer in the Forest of the Giants. The Pursuer is behind a door that was locked with the Soldier's Key. The door is over the stone bridge right where you drop down from the bonfire in the tower. I don't have the stats to wield it effectively yet though to have an opinion on it.

It looks like you can at least try out the move set of weapons even if you don't have the stats for them, which is nice.  It doesn't have the crazy stagger if you're not strong enough, you just have the damage penalty. 

The Zwei is in the game, I just haven't found it's location yet. I know it is because it popped up in a loading screen. I am also in Bastille. Fuck dat boss.

A tip: level up adaptability. It raises the agility stat, which effects how many invincibility frames you get during rolls, how fast you raise your shield, and how fast you drink from your flask, among other things. This game is like The Witcher 2 in the sense that it is an action game with shitty action until you level up your ability to do actions. I felt the game was very sluggish at first but after leveling adaptability I am rolling through boss attacks like I used to in Dark Souls 1. 

I don't know if i should trust this advice because Adaptability is what fills the slot that resistance used to be in Dark Souls. And as we all know, resistance is the most important stat.

So much to say! What an amazing game. :)

I don't know if i should trust this advice because Adaptability is what fills the slot that resistance used to be in Dark Souls. And as we all know, resistance is the most important stat.

Hey, anything you hear about a Souls game two days after it is released shouldn't be taken as gospel. I will say that the added benefit of higher resistances saved my life on a couple of occasions. I'll just say that the first time I was poisoned, it wasn't from anything as obvious as a snake with green goo dripping from its fangs.

To the person who asked earlier about my adaptability: it's somewhere in the late teens. My agility is around 100, I think. If you can dodge and block boss attacks at low adaptability, more power to you! I've gone from a rolling ninja with an empty left hand (30% equip load) to a knight using a shield extensively (60% load) since upping agility. On one boss I'll roll my way through it with light armour, on another I'll don a mishmash of heavy gear and block everything. I love how you can carry as much gear as you want at all times, since I can walk into a new area and easily change my tactics.

What gear are you guys using? I haven't found the holy grail: a straight sword that scales highly with dexterity that has both slashing and thrusting attacks when wielded with one hand (think Balder side sword from DS). Until then, I have a rapier+6 as my main weapons with a long sword+3 as my back up. I also have a long bow+3 that I use to great effect. To the person who asked, I found a greatsword, which is confusingly categorized as an ultra greatsword. Do a Google image search for "berserk guts sword" and you'll see it ;). I found it in...

the wharf.

If anyone sees my sword, please let me know the general area you found it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's something crazy: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20ekpn/reviving_to_human_after_playing_coop_is_a_bug/. I was relying on doing co-op to restore my humanity until it stopped working today. In fact, a couple of times I was restored to human even though we failed to defeat the boss. I wonder if From has made a game so mysterious even they don't under stand it ;)

Here's something crazy: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20ekpn/reviving_to_human_after_playing_coop_is_a_bug/. I was relying on doing co-op to restore my humanity until it stopped working today. In fact, a couple of times I was restored to human even though we failed to defeat the boss. I wonder if From has made a game so mysterious even they don't under stand it ;)

That's fascinating and weird.  Why would they not want co-op to restore humanity, that's always been one of the perks of co-op.  It also explains the inconsistency that I had with becoming human from co-oping.  Out of a few co-op matches tonight, I had 3 in a row where I didn't turn human, then one where I did (and that one wasn't successful, I got disconnected from the host before we finished). 

I did see a tip in that Reddit thread about staying human though.  Broken rings are now repairable, instead of just gone for good.  The equivalent of the Ring of Sacrifice retains your physical state when you die (human or whatever health loss you were at).  So as long as you're willing to dedicate a ring slot to that ring, you can survive a bunch of deaths in a row in human form from a single effigy. 

I haven't spotted a straight sword like that yet.

I did play around with the large club tonight though, and there is something weird about its swing.  With the vertical overhand swing, you can completely whiff and miss a locked on enemy.  It seems to swing whatever direction you are moving, even if you have a lock on.  So if I'm strafing right around an enemy and swing, I actually turn right and just pound the ground.  If I make sure I stop moving, I swing like you would expect.  I don't have any other large weapons with that same type of swing yet, so I don't know if it's unique to the club, or if it's something about that overhead animation.  I have to think this is a glitch, and not intended. 

I also had my first PvP experience tonight!  Found an area similar in idea to the forest covenant in DS1, where players are defending the area against trespassers.  I got invaded twice.  First guy ended up in a situation where in order for either of us to get to one another, it was going to give the opponent multiple free ranged shots.  He had 4 enemy units on his side, so no way I was going there, it would have been instant slaughter.  He ultimately chose to disconnect rather than risk taking damage to get to me.  Coward.  The second invader killed me dead.  Like not even a real fight.  I still haven't seen a regular invasion, though I did spot a red invasion summon sign.  But when I tried to use it, it failed.  I also joined the Blue Sentinels with the hope of helping defend people against invaders, but after a few hours of wearing their ring, I never got summoned. 

I don't have the game, but afaik it's intentional that the biggest strength weapons have manual targeting, I remember reading about that ages ago.

I don't have the game, but afaik it's intentional that the biggest strength weapons have manual targeting, I remember reading about that ages ago.

What a weird design decision.  The big weapons already have two drawbacks (weight and swing speed), I can't fathom why they would think that changing how targeting works was necessary.  Well, wait, maybe I can.  It could actually be used to lead fast targets if you were a real master of using them, which could come in crazy handy in PvP.  It would allow you to compensate for the slow swing speed.  But I'm not sure that mechanically would actually work that well, and I'd rather have the option to just swing like every other weapon. 

I beat one of the 4 major bosses!!!

I beat the Lost Sinner, which was a great fight! Really well designed fight (according to my standards) and now I'm fighting a scorpion boss lady, who is pretty damned difficult.

I beat one of the 4 major bosses!!!

I beat the Lost Sinner, which was a great fight! Really well designed fight (according to my standards) and now I'm fighting a scorpion boss lady, who is pretty damned difficult.

Nice, congrats!  That's the one major boss I got through as well. The path to get to that boss was hair raising.

I'm loving running around with the ring that lets you keep your souls/humanity.  It costs 3,000 to repair, but that can be made up multiple times over just co-op a single boss.  I ran around all night with 100,000+ souls on me, as I'm pretty happy with my level and don't want to move out of co-op range for the areas I'm in.  That ring lets me do that safely. 

If I have one serious complaint about their design decisions, it's the scarcity of upgrade resources in the early to mid game.  I've beat...8 bosses, I think.  And I still feel like I don't have enough basic Titanite Shards to experiment.  I started unlocking some Boss Soul weapons, but their upgrade material is so rare I've only seen one.  I don't want to be running around with all +10 stuff at this point, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade multiple things to +5 or so in order to experiment and play around with different toys.  The ridiculous thing is that I have a bunch of Titanite Chunks because they are a reward from one Covenant, and it's easy to get them.   But Shards and Large shards are worth their weight in gold. 

Speaking of that Covenant that rewards Chunks:

It's the Bell Tower covenant. You have to defend a Bell Tower from trespassers, just like the forest covenant in DS1. That's been a real treat so far. I'm batting about 60/40 in wins vs losses, which is surprisingly good for me and I'm going to say it's just because of how new the game is. But, a few of them were just really fantastic duels that came down to the wire.

I'm loving running around with the ring that lets you keep your souls/humanity.  It costs 3,000 to repair, but that can be made up multiple times over just co-op a single boss.  I ran around all night with 100,000+ souls on me, as I'm pretty happy with my level and don't want to move out of co-op range for the areas I'm in.  That ring lets me do that safely.

Sounds a bit like it negates the death penalty entirely, odd.

I'm guessing you still lose health every death. Also It'd mean going back to the blacksmith every time, unless there's some blacksmith tool-box i don't know about.

a question about NPC's:

In the Giant's forest, after the first bonfire, There's a white knight under a tree. I couldn't talk to him. Could anyone else? Does he appear later on in the game?

Also, In the Wharf, I met a sorcerer who said I don't have the right intelligence to talk to him. I'm guessing this is int, but has anyone talked to him? If so, what's your INT? Mine's 8. lol.

I'd say it creates a different penalty, a fixed cost of 3,000 souls and the time sink of having to run back to Majula to get it repaired.  It's certainly not a trivial cost long term.  I've probably spent 40,000+ souls repairing it since I started doing this.  That's a chunk of souls I could have saved if I was just willing to spend all the souls I have on me and run around like I normally do. 

Edited to add: There's an additional cost of having to keep that ring on you.  Giving up a ring slot can represent a pretty significant cost, and later on I can see me preferring to give up this ring in favor of greater offense, defense or utility.

Oh, a bunch of my deaths came in Huntsman's Copse, at one particular jump.  It's the most ridiculous jump I've seen.  If you want my advice on how to handle it:

The jump is right across from the first building you find, the one that has a pit in the middle of it's lower floor. There's a club wielding hollow out on a ledge, and directly across from that ledge, is a corpse with an item on it on a pillar. The jump needs to be perfect. Too far left, and you can't get up on the pillar. Short or right leaves you dead. But it's also very, very easy to overjump and roll right off the back to your death.

I tried rolling and dashing off with no luck, after having overjumped a couple of times. I finally made it when I went from the far right part of the ledge (if you're facing the pillar you're trying to get to). I jumped about halfway along the short room to spring that I had. Jumping that early let me barely land on the pillar and finish the roll on it.

a question about NPC's:

In the Giant's forest, after the first bonfire, There's a white knight under a tree. I couldn't talk to him. Could anyone else? Does he appear later on in the game?

Also, In the Wharf, I met a sorcerer who said I don't have the right intelligence to talk to him. I'm guessing this is int, but has anyone talked to him? If so, what's your INT? Mine's 8. lol.

I've seen two of those white knights. I killed both of them. My logic is that if I clicked to auto-target, I would get a target on both of them, even in their napping position. That doesn't happen with normal NPCs. You get a decent chunk of souls and they drop stuff. I'll leave it to you to discover what they drop.

I had a 1 intelligence when I talked to the guy in the Wharf! He said I was dim.

I'm guessing you still lose health every death. Also It'd mean going back to the blacksmith every time, unless there's some blacksmith tool-box i don't know about.

a question about NPC's:

I'd say it creates a different penalty, a fixed cost of 3,000 souls and the time sink of having to run back to Majula to get it repaired.  It's certainly not a trivial cost long term.  I've probably spent 40,000+ souls repairing it since I started doing this.  That's a chunk of souls I could have saved if I was just willing to spend all the souls I have on me and run around like I normally do. 

Oh, a bunch of my deaths came in Huntsman's Copse, at one particular jump.  It's the most ridiculous jump I've seen.  If you want my advice on how to handle it:

The jump is right across from the first building you find, the one that has a pit in the middle of it's lower floor. There's a club wielding hollow out on a ledge, and directly across from that ledge, is a corpse with an item on it on a pillar. The jump needs to be perfect. Too far left, and you can't get up on the pillar. Short or right leaves you dead. But it's also very, very easy to overjump and roll right off the back to your death.

I tried rolling and dashing off with no luck, after having overjumped a couple of times. I finally made it when I went from the far right part of the ledge (if you're facing the pillar you're trying to get to). I jumped about halfway along the short room to spring that I had. Jumping that early let me barely land on the pillar and finish the roll on it.

I've seen two of those white knights. I killed both of them. My logic is that if I clicked to auto-target, I would get a target on both of them, even in their napping position. That doesn't happen with normal NPCs. You get a decent chunk of souls and they drop stuff. I'll leave it to you to discover what they drop.

I had a 1 intelligence when I talked to the guy in the Wharf! He said I was dim.

If you need to confirm, there's also

a ring you can buy in Majula, the Ring of Whispers, that alerts you to enemy presence.

I am not really struggling at the moment I am definitely feeling like there is a lack of resources.

Anyone got to the

fog bound area with the invisible phantoms

That bit is awesome.

I am currently around level 70 and I've started to notice that coast a little.

Also the blue rings are a bit weird there is one that is for the meek and one for the mighty. If you are wearing one it calls a wearer of the other to you.

Also found the first Pyromancer, the exchange with them is pretty cool.

I found the zweihander! It is...

not too far into the Iron Keep.

a question about NPC's:

I'm losing hope that there is some interaction with the white knights other than fighting them. The ring of whispers doesn't do anything. I was really hoping there was something to do with them other than just fight them.

Wow, glad to hear I'm not the only nut who spent far too long trying to get that loot. I can't remember what it was now, but I do remember being very happy when I finally made that jump.

On titanite: I have found where all the titanite is. It is out there. Have faith!

I found the zweihander! It is...

not too far into the Iron Keep.

What's the scaling on it like? I've heard it went down to D in strength. If it adheres to the same goofy non-enemy-tracking that the Greatsword does, I may have to pass on it.

Wow, glad to hear I'm not the only nut who spent far too long trying to get that loot. I can't remember what it was now, but I do remember being very happy when I finally made that jump.

On titanite: I have found where all the titanite is. It is out there. Have faith!

The loot was totally worth it, something fairly rare and useful

one of those Pharros Lock Stone thingies.

I had seen quite a few comments, including in some reviews, about how the bosses weren't as memorable or inspired in this one.  I have to say I disagree.  Several of the ones I've faced have felt like they lived up to the previous Souls games.  I got to the:

Chariot skeleton guy

And that was an absolute treat.  I frustrating toxic treat the first half dozen times, but a treat nonetheless. 

Man I played so much of this game over the weekend. I got pretty far, but no-where near any lord soul. I just enjoyed opening up areas a lot. Finding a thing and linking it to another thing using logical leaps to open up worlds/NPCs is awesome, and something I wasn't able to do in Dark Souls as I just used a guide throughout. The Pyromancy lady was a particular highlight.

I really resented that levelling up is done a la Demon souls, but am now enjoying it greatly as every time I visit Majula I get to see more NPCs which is nice. And then more interactions/lore/story arc. Which is also cool. There is already a nice character story arc between

The map guy and the guy in grey that you meet at the bonfire outside the skeleton cave seem to know each other. Also the grey guy and Pave. But fuck that guy.

Edit: This site is also really cool: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/index.html You can see the stats of worldwide DaS2 players. Although - 5 people have completed the game on the ps3? That can't be right? :/

Edit: This site is also really cool: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/index.html You can see the stats of worldwide DaS2 players. Although - 5 people have completed the game on the ps3? That can't be right? :/

I don't think that's updated since like the first day.  If you examine the monument that the depressed guy is leaning against, it shows total deaths.  Last night when I looked, it was at 42 MILLION deaths :devil:  :o

Oh, and I did finally start seeing red invaders last night.  Saw two, and lost to both of them.  One of them I should have had, but I was messing around with different weapons after upgrading my Dex to a new threshold, and when I saw the invasion sign, just figured I'd roll with what I had.  Bad idea.  I had the Old Knight Halberd on, which I did not realize has the durability of a paper towel!  I had the guy down to just one more hit, and the halberd broke, dropping it's damage down to like 10 points of damage per hit.  Oh, and I was also in an area that I had cleared all the bosses.  I had heard you could still be invaded even if the area boss was dead.  Guess that's true.

The second guy used what's probably going to be a super popular, as it's a one hit kill spell for a lot of players. If you see someone using Pyromancy, be ready to dodge a fair distance.  There's a spell that creates a large, slightly delayed explosion.  The explosion centers on where the target was when the spell was cast.  You've got about 2ish seconds to get out of range.  I got one shot buy it.  I had the spell, and decided to try it out and took it to

a couple of Bell Tower invasions.

And I was able to one shot kill one player and take another down to just the tiniest sliver of health.  I'll go back to beating down other players with the holy duo of god's lighting and wooden club now. 

My best duel of the night was with a guy with a large club and me with just the little starting club (at +9).  It was funny to see him with his giant club and me with my tiny club thwacking at each other.

I found a shield that on a successful parry, reflects all magic attacks. Does this work on pyromancy too? I guess it would be useful against this spell. Also, about the spell:

is it the same one that one of the skeleton lords use? That was a really fun fight.

I found a shield that on a successful parry, reflects all magic attacks. Does this work on pyromancy too? I guess it would be useful against this spell. Also, about the spell:

is it the same one that one of the skeleton lords use? That was a really fun fight.

I liked that fight a lot as well! It was like, oh, hey, that wasn't too bad, ohcrapohcrapohcrap.

I thought that fight used more of a fireball type thing. I only saw them cast it a few times, and was running around a ton in the fight anyways. The graphic of this player spell is that a small fire appears mid-air right behind or on the target, and then explodes after the short delay. It's called...Flame Swathe or something like that. I don't remember where I picked it up.  It only gets 2 casts, so it might have 4 with a very high attunement.  You won't have to dodge very many of them.