melmer

Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))

Dark-Souls-2header.jpg

Release date(s)
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
NA March 11, 2014
JP March 13, 2014
PAL March 14, 2014

Microsoft Windows
April 25, 2014 (unconfirmed)

I heard today I might be getting a review copy in a few days. Which also means I gotta play this thing tout-de-suite, and have such a thing as an opinion on it. How loathsome. Praise the sun!

I was going to make a thread called Dark Souls 2 Anticipation Station, and then rename it to Dark Souls 2 Participation Station once the game was out, but this thread title is also very good.

I have preordered a copy for ps3, so I can enjoy figuring it out with everyone here, then i'll probably buy it again for PC. I'm good with money.

I'm darkly fearful for playing this game when I can't cop out and visit some wikipedia page to read the solution to whatever's stumping me at any given moment.

God, I think I might get this for ps3 but the PC version is cheaper...

Playing that game on my PC rig might push it hard but I'll have no one play it on; the same goes with the ps3 too. Ha

I'm darkly fearful for playing this game when I can't cop out and visit some wikipedia page to read the solution to whatever's stumping me at any given moment.

especially since they ramped the difficulty and a good amount of the mechanics have changed.

So glad I'm not reviewing this.

This is the part I'm most looking forward too. I feel like I know how to think about 'Souls. Time to find out if it's true :D

So glad I'm not reviewing this.

What am I getting myself into? I have to actually get somewhere in this game to pass a verdict, haha, this'll be a disaster.

Very excited for this, I loved Dark Souls despite ruining it for myself by impulsively checking faqs/wikis on the game. My goal is to (wait for a review) go in blind and try and progress through the game on my own. 

I will say though that Dark Souls was pretty obtuse when it comes to figuring out some of the mechanics in the game; covenants, weapon crafting and what not. Hopefully this mechanical stuff is a little clearer while maintaining the general mystique of the world.  

I have preordered a copy for ps3, so I can enjoy figuring it out with everyone here, then i'll probably buy it again for PC. I'm good with money.

Yeah, I'm going to end up doing the same.  I'm way to impatient to wait a potential 6 weeks to jump in!

This is the part I'm most looking forward too. I feel like I know how to think about 'Souls. Time to find out if it's true :D

Yep, me too!  I did a lot of Demon's Souls blind, but checked the wiki for a fair number of things in Dark Souls.  I'm going to try and see how far I can make it before hitting a brick wall.  The only caveat to that is I will probably check to see what all you can make out of boss souls, since that's not always easy to learn in game (or any other very unique seeming material). 

Of course I'll probably end up running two characters, which is what I did in DkS.  I had a main Strength build, then a Dex/Mage hybrid that I would use to check out the items and spell my main character couldn't use. 

I think I'm just going to "do it wrong" and experiment and generalize on my first run. I expect I'm going to be playing a lot of DkS2...

What am I getting myself into? I have to actually get somewhere in this game to pass a verdict, haha, this'll be a disaster.

Review:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!!

10/10

This is one of those franchises I really admire but cannot seem to find fun in actually playing myself. I think it's really the animation priority that infuriates me about the game over anything else.

I was under the impression that reviewers got a handy 'help guide' book thing for every game? 

Either way, good luck! I am very envious of you. Just take it slow and you'll be fine? Remember the best present is always the pendant. It'll unlock the

nothing

which'll be totally sweet and worth it.

Like all of ya, i'm excited to play this blind. I'm also excited to nerd out at the lore and discover shit, instead of reading it all on the wiki. XD

I just put in my pre-order on Amazon yesterday.  It sounds like I *might* not be getting the game on release day, which is fine because I'm currently in the middle of a mad rush of projects and papers before spring break kicks in.

I'm definitely going to jump in blind - half of the fun of Dark Souls was the slow unraveling of the mystery of the world, and I'd rather not walk into it this time with something like "HEY SHOOT LIKE FORTY ARROWS AT THE DRAGON'S TAIL" over my head.  I'd rather save all the optimization for my second run of the game.

Yeah, I'm going to end up doing the same.  I'm way to impatient to wait a potential 6 weeks to jump in!

Yep, me too!  I did a lot of Demon's Souls blind, but checked the wiki for a fair number of things in Dark Souls.  I'm going to try and see how far I can make it before hitting a brick wall.  The only caveat to that is I will probably check to see what all you can make out of boss souls, since that's not always easy to learn in game (or any other very unique seeming material). 

Of course I'll probably end up running two characters, which is what I did in DkS.  I had a main Strength build, then a Dex/Mage hybrid that I would use to check out the items and spell my main character couldn't use. 

Yup, I did a similar thing. On the PS3 on DkS, I played a strength build (which ended up being a lit zwei build, since before they patched it that was better than weapons that scaled with str). When I got it again on PC when it came out, I played a dex build, and then started a mage after that.

I'm also planning to stay away from wikis first run, and see what I can discover on my own, or maybe just with the help of forums and irc. Then i'll be all ready for when it really comes out, on PC.

Bummed that I chose to wait for the PC version. Hopefully it's a better port than the first. But I don't have my 360 hooked up anymore and I don't want to use my PS3 controller, plus all the potential benefits of a PC version...

Bummed that I chose to wait for the PC version. Hopefully it's a better port than the first. But I don't have my 360 hooked up anymore and I don't want to use my PS3 controller, plus all the potential benefits of a PC version...

short of doing both (which I am doing anyway), demon's souls works great with a PS4 controller plugged into ps3, I bet DkS2 will as well. That controller is very nice.

I have to keep telling myself that I'll be playing Titanfall anyway and I can wait patiently for the PC version regardless of when it comes out. I'm still very tempted to run around town and try to find a copy on Tuesday.

short of doing both (which I am doing anyway), demon's souls works great with a PS4 controller plugged into ps3, I bet DkS2 will as well. That controller is very nice.

But then I'd have to buy a PS4 controller!

I have to keep telling myself that I'll be playing Titanfall anyway and I can wait patiently for the PC version regardless of when it comes out. I'm still very tempted to run around town and try to find a copy on Tuesday.

Dark Souls 2 coming out the same day saves me the trouble of deciding whether I should install origin and try titanfall or not, since it is eclipsed by DkS2.

But then I'd have to buy a PS4 controller!

just pirate one, I won't tell