Sign in to follow this  
kaputt

Really interesting comic about fame, recognition and insecurities by Stanley Parable creator

So, I saw this on GAF, I thought it was really interesting. It's a comic from Davey Wreden, the creator of Stanley Parable, in which he describes how fame and recognition isn't necessarily a medicine to someone's own insecurities. It seems, as usually said the problem is within ourselves, and we shouldn't search for validation of ourselves in other people.

Also, I'd like to say that this don't seem like someone bitching about GOTYs, by the opposite, he's just expressing his feelings how his insecurity is reacting to the recognition he got with Stanley Parable. As he said:

The point of the comic was purely just to clarify that financial and critical success does not simply make your insecurities go away. If you were insecure about other peoples' opinions of you and addicted to praise in order to feel good about yourself, the dirty truth is that there is no amount of praise you can receive that will make that insecurity goes away. What fire dies when you feed it?

(...)

But if I go posting on the internet about how awful I felt receiving all these Game of the Year awards, no one is going to take that seriously. "Oh, yeah, we get it, real rough life you've got there. Sounds pretty miserable to be loved for your art. Maybe go cry about it into a pile of money?" And then of course I'm back in the problem I was trying so hard to avoid in the first place, where I'm stressing out about peoples' opinions of me and forgetting simply to feel good about myself. I want to be able to like myself and my work, but it becomes SIGNIFICANTLY harder once people on the internet start asking you to feel ashamed of yourself. It's really really hard to ignore.

(...)

So either I share this thing that is simply True, that is a representation of what I actually felt at this time, and risk being shamed for it, or I hide it away and continue to pretend that success means you never feel shitty about anything ever again in your life.

Here is the comic:

Game-of-the-Year.jpg

http://www.galactic-cafe.com/2014/02/game-of-the-year/

I thought this was pretty enlightening to some of the insecurities that I have.

I can't watch the video at the moment to be sure, but I thinknit was Elizabeth Gilbert's TED talk on genius that I'm thinking of. The basic idea was that when artists attribute the brilliance of a great work to themselves, it destroys them. That's why it can be healthy to recognize the creative process as a role similar to that of a medium. Great and not-so-great works as the environment and circumstances flitering through the artist's perspective and technique.

I think there is a lot to be said about how reflecting on the technological, social, and intellectual capital that is necessary for a great work to be made can take some of the burden off of an artist to keep them humble, thankful, content, and capable.