Sign in to follow this  
lordgankoo

Licenses/Commercial Restrictions (in the context of 3ds Max

Lately I've been poking around in the student license of 3ds Max (fully featured and doesn't expire for 3 years - http://www.autodesk.com/education/student-software for those interested). Naturally the caveat is that it's non-commercial, for educational use only, etc. And of course, a commercial license is obscenely expensive.

So my question is, and this applies to any tools or software that have these sorts of license restrictions (I believe Unity is the same?): What do people do in the case of learning how to use these tools, wanting to eventually sell what they make, but they're either an individual, or a small group of hobbyists or whatever and would be hard-pressed to buy a commercial license? 

From my understanding, Unity is free unless you make $100,000 a year from selling games. If I make that much money selling games, I'd be happy to give them a share. As far as more strict licensing, I'm trying to rely on less expensive stuff and licenses like the one you describe would deter me.

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq#section-452

Ah right, fair enough. Maybe it would make more sense to learn something like Blender instead? I just faintly recall someone somewhere lamenting how goofy Blender was (great reason to go off, I know), but in this case I suppose there isn't much choice.

I haven't looked into 3d modeling software yet, so I can't make a recommendation. I do like Audacity for audio and Gimp for drawing though. Both are free and have managed to do everything I need them to.

I think Blender is great. I don't perceive it as goofy at all, quite the contrary, I think it's very clean and easy to understand. The biggest problem is the steep learning curve, you WILL need a beginner tutorial to learn the essential hotkeys.

to answer your original question, I think people generally use those academic licenses that are free or cheap for learning the software and when they get hired they either get a full license from their employee or buy the software for the money they get from working.

You can always rent a license for Max or Maya for the month that you're working on finishing whatever you're working on. Which comes down to about 200 bucks for a month. So that's an option if you want to keep it completely legal.

Yeah I'm really curious as to how this works for indy games. I've always just noodled on stuff at work, in which I couldn't resell it in any way possible. But software is F#$%ing expensive, yet there are a bajillion 3d games out there.

The whole educational thing is another debate, since Autodesk has a monopoly now it's become nearly impossible for students to get their hands on these products and learn from them; I really think that company is shooting themselves in the foot.

Makes me wonder...

I'm currently learning the very basics of Blender. While I can see the utility and relative simplification of the UI compared to other 3D software I have gleaned on, it's very clear that this is software made by and for modelers that were sick of the other software. It assumes you know a lot of terms, or how two things or settings would interact with each other.

While I stopped ********* video games long ago, I still feel nothing when I ********* super expensive software just for playing around and experimenting with. I figure the worst thing that can happen is that I learn the program and need it to make an actual commercial thing at some point.