Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

College basketball

Any college hoops fans in here?  It's almost March, conference play is wrapping up and the tourney is only weeks away!

KU clinched it's 10th straight conference championship last night.  Bill Self has more conference titles than he does home losses.  It's a weird thing for me to be their fan.  Most of my favorite sports teams are pretty terrible, and have been for a long time.  And I have a deep loathing for every other dynasty in sports.  Most of the time I don't think about it, but then we win another championship, and I remember how ridiculously spoiled Kansas fans are.  And it feels goooood B)  And then I question my irrational hatred of every other dynasty.

And this is an amazing era for basketball in Kansas as a state!  We'll have three teams in the tournament, again.  Wichita and KU will be 1 and 2 seeds (a very slim chance both could be 1s if someone else collapses).  K-State will be in, somewhere in a middle seed.  A kid on the Wichita team is from my hometown, which means I'll have the pleasure of hearing Scott City, a podunk little town of about 4,000 people, talked about on national television for a second year in a row. 

I think I'm contractually obligated to support Ohio State basketball, as middling as it is this season. About all I know for sure is that Aaron Craft's cheeks get really red during games.

It's terrible, but I can't help but picture him as some sort of creepy living kewpie doll. 

ESPN had a great article last year about the crazy psychology behind hating a particular kind of player like Craft.

Hell yeah, another KU fan. But we're both from Kansas so it makes sense. It also makes me very happy that the Shockers are doing well too, as I've been kind of following them since they won the NIT a couple years ago. It's weird for KU to be the 2nd best team in Kansas. Also, a town of 4000 people? Pfft, that's a metropolis for Western Kansas!

I thought Garden City was a real city growing up, and Wichita was a thriving metropolis!   We didn't travel much.  Well, we went to Houston a few times to see family, but Houston is just sprawl, it's like someone stitched a hundred boring cities together haphazardly.

I really hope ESPN's forecasted bracket changes a bunch over the next couple of weeks.  As it stands now, the Shockers, KU and K-State are all expected to be in the same 16, which will blow if that's how it shakes out.  I want a shot at two Kansas teams in the Final Four.

My family's from Syracuse so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I don't think the Shockers could be KU, but I really don't want to find out. I'm still hoping KU can somehow sneak in and get a 1 seed.

Met my wife in Hash Hall on KU's campus. Still have a house just outside of town. I'll never forget being downtown when we won the title, it was like a happy, drunken army.

That was a crazy evening, after the game we drove downtown just to oggle the crowd and feel all the good vibes.  One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

So this thread is just Jayhawk worship... as it should be.

24135_397914531538_503583_n.jpg?lvh=124135_397914656538_7144902_n.jpg?lvh=1

The key was to got to the semi-sketchy Mexican bars and get GIANT margaritas. All the frat boys were scared of the Mexican bartenders so we got right up to the bar!

Bracket is out.  I'm pretty happy with KU's seed and region, given how rough the end of our season was and Embiid still out with injury.  I do feel like K-State and Wichita both got hosed.  Same region and will face each other in round 2 if both win.  Plus 2 of the other Final Four teams from last year are in that region, and Duke as well. 

Games start on Thursday!  (Not counting the whatever first round games)

Whoever runs the NCAA tournament hates me, because my University of Delaware is playing Michigan State. I hate Michigan State. So simultaneously, I get the "pleasure" of watching Delaware lose and Michigan State win.

It's not super common, but a 13 seed can upset a 4 seed.  Have hope!

You and I both know Delaware isn't beating Sparty. Michigan State is ranked too low, and Delaware may be too high (probably about right, though). Michigan State is a popular pick to the Final Four because they're really strong when they're healthy, and now they're healthy.

Things can change! I picked UW-Milwaukee to get past the first round because I want to see them do it, not because I actually think it can happen. Games haven't started yet. It is a time for reckless optimism. 

EDIT: Then the games start and all hope evaporates. Aaron Craft's cheeks are no match for Scoochie Smith's amazing name.

I'm no Ohio State fan, but that's tough to go out in the first round for a bunch of seniors. 

And Oklahoma went down to a 12 seed as well.  I always root for the Big 12 teams in the tournament, deeper they all go the better our league as a whole looks.  So seeing one go down in an upset is a bummer.   At least Texas got the job done.  The only team that's hard for me to root for is Oklahoma State.  They are quickly replacing Missouri as my most hated team in the Big 12.

All 3 Kansas teams play in back-to-back-to-back games today!  Wooo, it's going to be like 7 hours of Kansas basketball in a row.  Which is awesome. 

Wow. So equal condolences go out to Bjorn and all the other Kansas fans. I had expected them to go far, but that game was way closer than expected. I suppose it isn't quite over yet, but its a three possession game with 30 seconds to go.

They just showed this kid crying in the stands on the stream. Damn.

EDIT: So that was a little premature, since they almost pulled off a comeback. Close game.

Wow. So equal condolences go out to Bjorn and all the other Kansas fans.

Thanks!  I was so bummed yesterday.  WSU going out was actually the worst part of the day.  I was rooting for those kids so hard.