Sign in to follow this  
manny_c44

Katamari Damacy will rock you.

A game completely about rolling trash balls. You start off small, pushing the ball over things like tacks and pencils and you escalate to the size of a small island....all in one level. Its been getting rave reviews and is said to have an amazing sound track.

Start with rodents

katamari_032304_013.jpg

...then cars

katamari-damacy-20040719045559298.jpg

....buildings and beyond!

katamari-damacy-20040719045600767.jpg

katamari_032304_005.jpg

:yep:

And its coming out in 2 weeks for $20! Whats not to lose!?? I love games that no one has the balls to make except the Japanese salary man who's zonked out of his mind from stress!

Holy shit! They have game designers at maxis? :grin:

No just kidding, but as much as I like maxis, I think it'd be a constricting place to work as a designer...you basically have the Sims or Sim City, and even they're starting to merge together. I'm sure they've got something brewing over there though...the next Sim Something, and it could be absolutely crazy for all I know.

Anyway, I was also pretty suprised that the game was only going to be $20. But they're doing next nothing for localization, they're even keeping the magnificent box art:

cover.JPG

I can't wait!

Can anyone help me straighten out what the exact title for the American release will be? I've seen Katamari Damashii, Katamari Damashi and Katamari Damacy.

By the way, there are some great screensavers and paper craft for the game over at the Japanese site too, for those that go for that sort of thing.

edit: I suppose the title is Damacy, and I would have known that if I actually looked at the cover manny_c44 posted! Dang!

Can anyone help me straighten out what the exact title for the American release will be? I've seen Katamari Damashii, Katamari Damashi and Katamari Damacy.

I'm not sure what the title in the US will be but if you're simply confused about the different names then don't be concerned - it's the same game - in Japan it's also listed as both Katamari Damashii / Katamari Damacy.

Also, the sequel is coming out very soon in Japan - called Katamari Damashii Oni (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-77-5-15-katamari-70-53r.html).

Btw, we will be reviewing Katamari soon...watch this space.

I saw some videos of this thing in action-- it certainly looks worth the twenty bucks. Too bad it's a PS2 release, though. :frown:

I've been wanting to play this game for some time now. Pity it probably won't be for GameCube, but for that price I may buy it and play it on my little brother's PS2.

Now I want the game where you control a stressed-out Japanese salaryman that's having a bad day and plummeting out of buildings and such. That would rock.

There is a game like that for PS1...but I just can't remember the title. It has a part where you jump out of a sky scraper window, and a groping-secretaries-in-the-elevator bit. Although it may just have been a beautiful dream.

Ha Ha! I found it! Incredible crisis.

incrediblecrisis_b2_screen002.jpgincrediblecrisis_b2_screen003.jpgincrediblecrisis_b2_screen014.jpg

Sadly, I've never actually played this game. But I think I will now...I've seen it iin some bargain bins, and it actually looks kind of fun (you can't really tell from these screens cause I just got the ones with the salaryman screaming).

It's supposed to be very arcady, but I just love wacky Japanese games, and this one appeals because of it's original concept. No aliens of mutants from the 8th dimension, but just a salaryman crashing to his death and stumbling from situation to spinesnapping situation.

I'm not sure what the title in the US will be but if you're simply confused about the different names then don't be concerned - it's the same game - in Japan it's also listed as both Katamari Damashii / Katamari Damacy.

Yeah, I'm just confused over the multiple names thing, didn't know whether it'd be the western name or what. Glad to know it's a global affair! ..I suppose.

I agree with Walter though, I would have gladly picked it up for $50 based on everything I've read about it over the past few months. The new $20 price just ensured my pre-order! Does anyone know if the two player mode is co-op or ...?

Its a battle mode to see who gets the biggest ball in a certain amount of time. You can knock stuff off each others balls (I know, I know), or even completely assimilate your opponent.

If you're fans of Katamari Damacy it's worth checking out Tumiki Fighters. It's a completely insane, homebrew shoot-em-up. In which, you have to stick bits of enemies that you've defeated to yourself, to become a huge ball of ownage (KD stylee), and it rules!

If you're fans of Katamari Damacy it's worth checking out Tumiki Fighters. It's a completely insane, homebrew shoot-em-up. In which, you have to stick bits of enemies that you've defeated to yourself, to become a huge ball of ownage (KD stylee), and it rules!

Thanks for the link :gaming:

Games like this are so hard without controllers...,

yeah, his games are so damn cool :)

rRootage takes the endboss-fights with the millions of bullets & rockets flying everywhere of scrolling shoot'm ups and transforms it into a kickass, rockhard, game

I just saw the Japanese commercial for Katamari Damashii and it RULES! It's so funny and introvert. In that way it's unlike many exuberant Japanese commercials, but the same silliness is present. I suggest you google and download it, as it's worth the effort.

How I wish we had creative commercials like they have in Japan... but no, heaven forbid there would be the slightest chance of the audience not understanding them... sigh.

I would be shocked if Katamri ever even got a commercial here....

It came out today methinks, so I'll probably pick it up on Friday. And I have Pikmin 2 and Stretch Panic basically untouched, so I've got some gaming to take care of.