dartmonkey

I Can't Go For That (Game Series)

Yep. Fond memories of all three Donkey Kong Country games. Totally agree about 2's soundtrack.. it's stayed with me since. 

I replayed a bunch of them a few years ago and they seemed to hold up. I remember, as a kid, being completely fascinated be the idea of the Lost World. That, to me, made all the collectibles worth it. It really was rock hard to get to, felt like a true accomplishment. 

Bioshock, for me, is mostly a thing I've bounced off of also. I just about finished the first one and never bothered with any of the sequels. It just felt crammed with combat that wasn't all that interesting to me. 

This is probably going to sound terrible, but I could never get into Monaco.

I'm still going to give it another try or two, but after all the accolades and positive attention the game received, I bounced off of it so hard.  This was even playing the new updated, streamlined campaign.  To preface, I don't have a large group of online folk to play this with, so my intention was to go at it solo.  I was surprised when I started it up that the game automatically pushes you online, and then even more automatically works to ensure that you're playing with at least one random stranger most of the time.  Enforced multiplayer in a game where going at your own pace seems more the focus doesn't work for me at all.  Rather than being able to stop and admire anything, I constantly felt like I was chasing more experienced or incautious individuals.

I did force myself offline at one point to stop this, but my issues with it didn't stop there.  First of all the game seems unbearably visually busy to me.  To the point where I was having real issues keeping track of everything on the screen, because of all the bright colours kind of fighting with each other for attention.  I don't know if it's my resolution or what, but the individual actors seem unbearably tiny, and the sensation of playing the game felt like squinting into the sun for me.  And then the gameplay itself (at least early on) seems simple in a way that isn't appealing to me playing by myself.  Maybe it's heavily reliant on multiplayer coordination for the fun of the game to emerge, but simple stealthing about in a proscribed linear manner wasn't doing it for me.

The real fun of Monaco is not when everything goes right, but when everything goes horribly wrong and the game turns into an insane, brightly colored Benny Hill chase.  This is of course exponentially more likely to happen with other people playing so the game is pretty reliant on the multiplayer.  Those moments when everything lines up just right and you can pull of an amazing heist are also super fun, but again they rely on having other people around.

Even with other people, and the chaos, I also haven't been able to enjoy Monaco.  I want to like it.  I want to like it very much.  On paper, it does so much right.  But I've tried it a half dozen times or so, and am ready to be done playing within 10 minutes or so. 

Name nine other good N64 games.

My top 10 favorite N64 games would probably be in no order

Zelda, Zelda, Diddy Kong Racing, Tony Hawk 2,DK 64, Goldeneye, Harvest Moon, Mario Party (any), Smash, SM64.

I never played Xcom, and I probably never will.  That is, I played it for about a half hour and went "huh" and put it down and never looked at it again.  Sorry Xcom!

How have none of you said Blast Corps.  How.

I remember enjoying Blast Corps but then never really thinking about it again.

I remember one level in Blast Corps being a right bitch. I also remember getting to the moon.

Also no love for Conkers Bad Fur Day?

I got confused and mixed up the "These are some good N64 games" posts with the "I Can't Go For That Game Series" posts and NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANYBODY LIEKS.

(nvm, I sorted it out)

I will say that I'm disappointed that everyone prefers Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing over Beetle Adventure Racing.

I remember one level in Blast Corps being a right bitch. I also remember getting to the moon.

When you read the name, it'll all come rushing back to you.

Diamond Sands.

Black Isle RPGs. I always want to commit to one but I can never quite stick the landing.

Black Isle RPGs. I always want to commit to one but I can never quite stick the landing.

I think this is the first post in the thread that is completely at odds with my tastes, but that's because black isle RPGs (all of them, but especially Torment) are my some of my favorite games. They are probably hard to get into though. I got into them from playing baldur's gate 2 as a kid, I don't know if I would be able to get into them now if I hadn't though.

Rare's N64 stuff in general.

I can't stomach the Banjo games. I don't like their style, I don't like combing uninteresting worlds for arbitrary collectibles, I don't like how the platforming feels... I think I'm just not into that genre at all. This extends to DK64 and Conker as well. The latter I kinda liked because of its inaneness, but only if I didn't have to play it.

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark... I don't know. Maybe it was because I was playing PC shooters at the time and Goldeneye didn't come to me as the revelation as it did for others. Conceptually I like some stuff they do, like how the objectives tie in with the difficulty settings, but I just don't like _playing_ them.

I actually like Rare's games before and after the N64. I like the DKC series, and I think the Viva Pinatas are the best games they ever did. I even like Nuts & Bolts, BECAUSE it's so unlike its predecessors. It's just weird that I cannot get into what is widely seen as their golden age.

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark... I don't know. Maybe it was because I was playing PC shooters at the time and Goldeneye didn't come to me as the revelation as it did for others. Conceptually I like some stuff they do, like how the objectives tie in with the difficulty settings, but I just don't like _playing_ them.

That's understandable - I myself had it the other way round, where my first real FPS experience was N64 Goldeneye / Perfect Dark, and later migrated to PC Shooters and Half-Life etc.

So my memories of Goldeneye are probably rose-tinted somewhat, but I remember booting that game up a few years ago in college. We had a projector set up and played the multiplayer for hours, and still got reduced to tears with laughter. 

Those games definitely did something right!

Golden Eye just seemed grotesque to me, looking at it through the perspective of having been playing a lot of PC shooters at the time. It just seemed so primordial, the actual gameplay felt like it was in a mindset that PC shooters had already worked through years previously, it was like somebody played Wolfenstein and hadn't looked at anything else since then.

This one actually also applies to me, except i'd expand it out to most of those 90's isometric RPG's that everybody loves so intensely.

They just never really clicked with me, and i've certainly given them plenty of chances.

When you read the name, it'll all come rushing back to you.

Diamond Sands.

Guh that level was a bitch, but it wasn't that one I was thinking of. After some extensive googling, it is: Oyster Harbor

So. Damn. Hard.

I'm trying to go for a type of game I can't go for! I started playing Bioshock (the original, from 2007) on PC today. I like the game; but like I do with other first-person games, I get motion sickness if I play for too long. It seems like a good game, I like the art direction, and I'm a much better shot in it than I normally am, but I can only play for about ten minutes at a time.

I'm trying to go for a type of game I can't go for! I started playing Bioshock (the original, from 2007) on PC today. I like the game; but like I do with other first-person games, I get motion sickness if I play for too long. It seems like a good game, I like the art direction, and I'm a much better shot in it than I normally am, but I can only play for about ten minutes at a time.

I'm like that too. I'd suggest getting ginger-based anti-nausea tablets. On me they are even more effective than the hard chemicals kind, don't make me woozy, and don't have any other side effect. Those pills got me through Bioshock and both Portal games.

Rayman 2 is my favorite Rayman game. Origins is only really good in coop. In single player it bores me.

Have you tried messing with the field of view? Whenever I suffer motion sickness I mess with the field of view and that. USUALLY helps.