melmer

Free to play: The Movie

Valve has made a movie!? It is a documentary about competitive gaming

http://freetoplaythemovie.com

Premiering at the Castro in SF, get tickets here

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-to-play-premiere-tickets-10594824405

(I should totally buy a load and sell them on ebay :) I won't because I am not a scum bag. Am I still on the scum bag scale for having the thought though? perhaps a little, I'm like a scum purse )

(I should totally buy a load and sell them on ebay :) I won't because I am not a scum bag. Am I still on the scum bag scale for having the thought though? perhaps a little, I'm like a scum purse )

Don't feel bad; this is Valve.  I am sure they will concoct some way to force the Castro to put keys for rare item drops taped to each seat.

I'm going to wait for a later version after they've put some polish in. This is clearly a beta.

This ad is currently in the Steam News popup.  See anything odd?

post-33601-0-22547700-1394818615_thumb.jpg

If you click on the ad, it goes to the South Park game, so it's clearly just a broken ad, but funny nonetheless.

weird. It was only 39 euros for me

South Park is $60 / €40 for some weird reason.

and now it says it's free to play?!

Looks like a bug in the popup, it was showing the price of South Park

I'll wait until this is on the sale or in an indie bundle.... Oh wait, it's free.

Damn, I was going to make a joke about cheevos and Steam cards, but it actually has them? *makes lame joke about his joke DPS* ¬_¬U

But seriously, I might give the movie a go if it's free, I've never been into esports, but I guess this movie is all about getting people excited about it?

I'll wait until this is on the sale or in an indie bundle.... Oh wait, it's free.

Damn, I was going to make a joke about cheevos and Steam cards, but it actually has them? *makes lame joke about his joke DPS* ¬_¬U

But seriously, I might give the movie a go if it's free, I've never been into esports, but I guess this movie is all about getting people excited about it?

Of course they gave it cheevos and cards.  I'm a bit surprised that it's launching with them, to be honest.  If it was my movie, I'd want the data about viewership without it being tainted by people just downloading it and turning it on to get the free cards. 

Yeah... But I'm sure many will at least try to watch it before just leaving it on for the cards. But you're right about the stats, they will be completely ruined by those who will only leave it on for cheevos and cards.

Maybe they have a cheevo for those who actually watched the movie for real? It shouldn't be too hard to know if your not the active window or not, right? That's one way to get the cheevo hunters to watch the film.

Is anyone else going to the premiere tonight? I've managed to obtain a ticket (from a friend who thought he'd be here for it, but ended up having to come to SF a day late for GDC), so I'll be going.

BY MYSELF! ):

Watched this, enjoyed it.  It didn't tell me much I didn't know already even as someone who doesn't know much about DOTA at all, and it's sometimes very obviously constructed for an emotional story, but it's entertaining and rousing and it's only around 70 minutes so it doesn't outstay its welcome. I haven't watched the extras yet.

Is anyone else going to the premiere tonight? I've managed to obtain a ticket (from a friend who thought he'd be here for it, but ended up having to come to SF a day late for GDC), so I'll be going.

BY MYSELF! ):

Sean and Olly will be there.... Although isn't olly back in England. I really should get that tracking device fixed

Just run towards them with your thumbs up, frothing from the mouth, they'll know you're a reader

Actually, if you get a chance scream in Sean's face "one, two, three, four, I declare an idle thumbs war" and make a vine of his reaction. Thanks

....Oh shoot I'm a day late

I was looking our for Sean but didn't see him. I totally would've done all that of my own volition, if I had.

why is there a 5gb day 1 patch to a movie?   I had it preloaded already...

Anyways, should be fun.  I'll watch it tonight.

Watched this, enjoyed it.  It didn't tell me much I didn't know already even as someone who doesn't know much about DOTA at all, and it's sometimes very obviously constructed for an emotional story, but it's entertaining and rousing and it's only around 70 minutes so it doesn't outstay its welcome. I haven't watched the extras yet.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it too, solid piece of work overall but I wonder who it aimed at.

Honestly half of it just felt like a big advertisement for Dota 2, but not a very good one, because although it explains the very basics, it doesn't go much into it beyond that.

But I also believe that they weren't really aiming for that - they wanted to tell the stories of those three players. I dunno. I didn't think it was bad or anything, but it definitely felt sorta all over the place.

It was a decent watch and its length made it incredibly easy to get through. It had a great emotional appeal but lacked any indepth game discussion which I would want to see from it. I don't think it could stand its own against other competitive gaming documentaries like "King of Kong" and "Super Smash Brothers." But hey, any video game documentary that comes out is cool in my book. 

It was a decent watch and its length made it incredibly easy to get through. It had a great emotional appeal but lacked any indepth game discussion which I would want to see from it. I don't think it could stand its own against other competitive gaming documentaries like "King of Kong" and "Super Smash Brothers." But hey, any video game documentary that comes out is cool in my book. 

Speaking of which. Does anyone know of any other video game documentaries that do stand along side these two?