Ben X

Game Jams

I've really been wracking my brain to come up with an idea for a Sharecart game. It's such a weird constraint. I am so often used to thinking about games as having progress, but because the nature of the Sharecart, progress kind of becomes meaningless. Except, maybe there's the possibility of having a mechanic where you have to load in a save to progress, or beat the game, but then other games might set your progress back, so progress in a game is kind of out. Does that mean the only option is procedural stuff? Just random exploratory procedural garbage? I think I'll have to check out some of the existing games Sharecart games later and maybe that can shape up my ideas.

Ludum Dare 32 is this weekend. I'm planning on doing it. Not sure what I'd like to do yet; I sort of want to do some C++ in UE4 but teaching myself that stuff might be ambitious for a 48 hour jam.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

edit:

OK I made this game http://www.funghost.com/partycity/

I'm not super happy with how it came out. I couldn't figure out where I wanted to go with it mechanically so I just doodled a bunch and made dumb stuff.

Anyway here's some gifs of it.

p0bcMYP.gif

XkSkyB6.gif

Gaah I want to do PD jam but I have no ideas right now. I was picking through old public domain Phillip K Dick and Lovecraft stuff the other day but nothing grabbed me. I'll do some more reading tonight/tomorrow and hopefully something inspires.

By all means! Invitation goes out to all thumbs to treat the #pdjam as an unofficial "EA presents" jam.

Take a public domain story and tell it through the magic of turret sequences!

PlingPling tables are encouraged in the Klik of the Month Klub event for this month! Looks like it will probably end up archiving trainwrecker tables after the event as well. 

pinball_ball_ricochet_hg_clr.gif

The official time of the two-hour event is 4-6pm Pacific-time Saturday the 16th (tomorrow), but no one really cares if you submit early or late. It's just for fun. There is also an IRC channel available for those who want to type messages while they make games. 

The Royal Ontario Museum is hosting a game jam Oct 2-4, so if you're in Toronto, you should check it out!

https://itch.io/jam/pet

This is a fun idea. I've been itchin' for a jam recently and I think I have a good way of working this into my current project so I'm probably gonna make a little virtual space pet.

Think I got a good idea for this. Let's jam!

Yeah okay, I have to do some bike tuning then go play boardgames tonight.

JAMMIN'!!!

I donno how much more I'm gonna be able to work on this, so here's the last feature I added. I put in a second pet (now there's the eye and this rabbit) and made them go to sleep when their energy ticks too low. Eating/fetching will also decrease energy.

XLtdVAy.gif

Haha, that's really great, I love the idea. The interface being a single screen panning around feels good, and the lil' cartidge floating in 3D is a really nice touch. Also I like the art in general, the game has a good vibe. Wish I could collect more carts though!

I didn't end up finishing anything; my PC stopped booting on Saturday so I've been in panic mode trying to diagnose it. Finally got things working last night, but I didn't have time to wrap up my game. Which is probably fine since it wasn't shaping up to be anything interesting to anyone else anyway...what I have now is a little rabbit guy who will eat, sleep, and fetch, and a floating eyeball that will also do all of those things but without any animations.

I also have some code for the beginnings of some AI stuff, a state machine and a system for determining desirable positions in the world. It wasn't at all necessary for this game but I went to a talk that Damian Isla (Halo 2, The Flame in the Flood) gave kinda early in the jam and decided I wanted to implement a bunch of what he talked about.

Gamemaking Frenzy: DUPLICADE is starting tomorrow and I quite like the rules:

• Your game must be a head-to-head simultaneous two-player game.
  • Your game must run on Windows (sorry!) and use WASD + SPACE for player one and ARROW-KEYS + ENTER for player two as input in order to be considered for inclusion on the DUPLICADE "cabinet."
  • It must have a short duration, 30 seconds or less, resulting in a WIN or LOSE for each player. (We'll be keeping score offstage.).
  • After the match is over the game must QUIT AUTOMATICALLY.
  • The game must tread dangerously into the intellectual property of an existing game or game franchise, but be cleverly altered and culturally mangled enough to not be worth the effort to sue. (Seriously: don't get sued. Also, it's funnier the further you get from actually ripping off your source).
  • THERE WILL BE ONE SECRET RULE TO BE ANNOUNCED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE JAM!
  • You will have plenty of time to work on your game, and you may enter MULTIPLE GAMES! As many as you want!

Thats cool for sure. It's a really easy thing to scope for, I made two games for Barfcade.

Oh nice, I really wanted to make something for Barfcade so I'm gonna definitely....try and find time for this. It ends the day after Unite, which is after I'm spending all weekend at a wedding, which might make things tough.

The secret theme is TWINS!... Which is kind of hilarious because I was going to make a bootleg Bubble Bobble game anyway.