N1njaSquirrel

Harmonix's Chroma - The Rhythm Multiplayer FPS

This is a weird thing. It's an FPS. It's PC only and you have to fire to the rhythm of the music.

And it's made by Harmonix. Who have never done a FPS, and have never released a game on the PC.

This will be interesting, to say the least. A homing missile that only tracks enemies whilst you're pressing the fire button in time to the beat? I'm in.

You can also sign up to the Alpha here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ChromaAlphaSignup

I don't know what to make of this at all.

I don't know what to make of that either. I love Harmonix and I love rhythm games but that trailer is several layers of dreadful. But I'm still open to the concept. I just played some Crypt of the Necrodancer, so I've got rhythm-used-as-mechanic-in-non-traditionally-rhythm-game fever.

Oh I saw that game and it looked interesting (necrodancer, that is). Is it good? How does it work?

I also love Harmonix greatly. They all seem like cool guys.

On the topic of rhythm-used-as-mechanic-in-non-traditionally-rhythm-game games, I remember a similar one that was fun and like DDR, but fighting monsters. I can't remember what it was called now.

Oh I saw that game and it looked interesting (necrodancer, that is). Is it good? How does it work?

I also love Harmonix greatly. They all seem like cool guys.

On the topic of rhythm-used-as-mechanic-in-non-traditionally-rhythm-game games, I remember a similar one that was fun and like DDR, but fighting monsters. I can't remember what it was called now.

In crypt you have to attack enemies in the same rhythm as an ever-present beat. You also have to hit certain button combos to time for all your items and magical attacks. I was actually playing cooperatively on a DDR pad and it was so much fun. Pretty tough though, the mechanics are not instantly evident.

RPS had an in depth interview about Chroma here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/harmonixs-chroma-a-musical-fps-aiming-to-do-f2p-right/

So music randomly generates the level as it's playing, and you can represent a genre of music as a faction. This sounds awesome. I'm going to side with the Jazz genre. I'm sure Duke Ellington wanted me to kill people to the tune of 'In a sentimental mood'.

I would like to know how stuff like Jazz and Classical music fit into this game. It seems that Dubstep, rock and chiptune music would naturally fit given it's aesthetic, but I think it'd be interesting and amusing seeing more classical based music fighting against dubstep. The idea of blasting out Beethoven's 9th Symphony amuses me, but might feel out of place in such a neon-filled world. But it seems that Harmonix are well aware of this and are taking it into consideration. 

On top of which each faction is also thematically themed. I want my Tron fella in a top hat please.

I feel like I want to find this game interesting, but I actually have no interest in it at all until I can actually play it because a game like this is going to rely so heavily on execution that even if there are tons of great and interesting ideas it's going to have to be super tight to work at all. 

RPS had an in depth interview about Chroma here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/harmonixs-chroma-a-musical-fps-aiming-to-do-f2p-right/

So music randomly generates the level as it's playing, and you can represent a genre of music as a faction. This sounds awesome. I'm going to side with the Jazz genre. I'm sure Duke Ellington wanted me to kill people to the tune of 'In a sentimental mood'.

So, sort of like AudioSurf, but FPS? It would be interesting if there was a similar interaction where you recommend a particular song's level to your friends. You could queue up album in lieu of map rotations.

Would Brubeck's Time Out be hard mode?

I hope Cage's 4'33" prevents people from casting spells.

I just searched for this on Spotify. I get it.

So, sort of like AudioSurf, but FPS? It would be interesting if there was a similar interaction where you recommend a particular song's level to your friends. You could queue up album in lieu of map rotations.

Would Brubeck's Time Out be hard mode?

I believe they are trying to make it so that you can use your own music. What would be even cooler is if they could get a deal with Spotify/GrooveShark/SoundCloud and have you select a song from their huuuuuge library instead.

Thanks for the music suggestion. I think hard mode would surely be Frank Zappa's G-Spot Tornado.

I think music integrated well into a level is something that can really heighten playing a game to crazy levels. Like the Lilith's club level from DmC. It's not even that extensive, but it just feels so cool playing it. Looking forward to seeing what Chroma turns out to be.

As per the Testing & Confidentiality agreement, I can only state my excitement that I've been accepted into the Chroma alpha.  Just so anyone else who applied knows that keys are going out, and also to be a little braggy.

I too am only able to state my excitement. I know this isn't the multiplayer networking sub-forum, but if anyone wants to get together for some musical violence, I'll probably be PrettyUnsmart in this game like every other.

As per the Testing & Confidentiality agreement, I can only state my excitement that I've been accepted into the Chroma alpha.  Just so anyone else who applied knows that keys are going out, and also to be a little braggy.

I too am only able to state my excitement. I know this isn't the multiplayer networking sub-forum, but if anyone wants to get together for some musical violence, I'll probably be PrettyUnsmart in this game like every other.

I do not have this. I am insanely jealous and filled with rage :(