Tanukitsune

Is the an extensive "History of inventions" book out there?

I've been trying to find books about the history of inventions, but the ones I've found seem to prefer to talk about the industrial era. I was hoping to find a book that went back as far as possible, hopefully to as far back as pottery and written language? 

I'd rather have a book that went through more history and was less thorough than a very detailed one that only talked about the more "popular" inventions.

Frankly, I think I'd almost prefer a book about the first inventions from the dawn of civilization. Pottery and irrigation!

Ideas by Peter Watson is probably the closest you'll find (along with its 20h century follow-up The Modern Mind). It's not purely focused on technology, but more an intellectual history of all innovations. Fascinating, for sure.

Ideas by Peter Watson

I saw the thread title and immediately jumped in hoping I could be the first to post this.  It's a really awesome book!

There's a book called "Events that Changed the World" by Time Warner, although it's only partly dedicated to inventions, it also covers major cultural and political events. It's chronogical and gives a quick summary of each event (1-2 pages). The time span is longer than you requested though, as it pretty much starts from the early days of civilisation.

Peter Watson seems to have made his career as a historian writing exactly the kind of books you are looking for.

For a more ideas-based book, and one that is better than Watson's, I strongly recommend (everyone) read Jacques Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence, which traces Western thought from 1500 - 2000.  He wrote it when he was in his 90s, and it came after a lifetime of writing and thinking about history and philosophy.