Blambo

The Hypothetical Adventure Game

vWbplsm.jpg

Significantly less happy about the way this went than some of the other pieces. I tried to make it a marketplace leading to a town square, but as I was rendering the walkable space become a lot more linear than I planned. The perspective and shapes are a lot clearer in this but it doesn't feel as dynamic in leading the eye as other ones.

Though eh, will work on the library next.

Christ, that looks gorgeous! If you're going to put it into a game, I fear that AGS's resolution limit will take away some of the great detail. But maybe.. it'll look cool and retro! :o  But if 800x600 isn't enough for you, it shouldn't be TOO hard to set it up in Unity.

Doesn't AGS do higher resolutions now? I get confused since it started going open source. Worth checking the forums anyway.

And I agree with you Blamno, it definitely isn't the best idea to design backgrounds before story and puzzles!

Significantly less happy about the way this went than some of the other pieces. I tried to make it a marketplace leading to a town square, but as I was rendering the walkable space become a lot more linear than I planned. The perspective and shapes are a lot clearer in this but it doesn't feel as dynamic in leading the eye as other ones.

really? I think its good. Maybe even better then the other ones, partly because the camera is right down in the scene.

Christ, that looks gorgeous! If you're going to put it into a game, I fear that AGS's resolution limit will take away some of the great detail. But maybe.. it'll look cool and retro! :o But if 800x600 isn't enough for you, it shouldn't be TOO hard to set it up in Unity.

Yeah there are actually quite a lot of simple state machine and dialog branch managers for unity at this point if you just want to replicate SCUMM or Mass Effect style dialog structures. I've never used AGS though so I have no point of comparison.

This art style seems like it would work very well with a high frame, rate slightly floatey (or at least untethered, unafraid to move) camera like that employed in Broken Age. Reducing it down to a retro look would be a bummer.

really? I think its good. Maybe even better then the other ones, partly because the camera is right down in the scene.

Yeah I quite like it too. The colors and levels feel very strong. I can see why you might be frustrated with the layout not feeling winding or other aims we can't see as outside observers, but it has a lot going for it regardless.

Thanks! I'll definitely look at Unity for this. From now on I'll have to build my paintings with parallax in mind.

I guess now that I've settled on which settings I want to explore (right now it's the library, the mushroom town, and the far post-apocalypse), I should start linking putting together some plans for map structure at least.

I've been thinking of building this like multiple little short stories with disparate times and settings that have tendrils that link them together. As a test for the future asset pipeline I'll probably focus on the mushroom town first, since I have a stronger conceptual grip on what this is at the moment.

That all said I'm no writer, so it's gonna be super hard turning my ideas for setting and atmosphere into narrative.

does unity have a system for spite based animation? i have a semi-started adventure game, with a number of walk cycles, made in AGS. I don't think I'd want to switch to 3d models. Mostly because I wouldn't know where to start. 

-eyes shift back and forth, dives out window-

Yes D:

He's my painting background noise of choice, and he's really good

Also I've been trying to make my forms and shapes more dynamic, so I've been imitating a lot of what feng zhu's doing

EDIT: also I'm struggling with getting the teeth and texture that he puts into his paintings. My style is very bland in comparison

i'm sure you talked about this elsewhere, but what are you painting with, software wise, or even brushes if you can be that specific, haha?

I've got a surface pro 2, and a creative cloud subscription for work, but i've not yet really ironed out brush use. 

Photoshop with default chalk brush and a custom one for foliage. I'm trying to rely only on brushwork, instead of using too many custom brushes and stuff.

But in terms of brush settings, it depends on what kind of traditional medium I want to emulate, like if I'm rendering smooth surfaces or painting an oil-style painting I use pen pressure for opacity/flow jitter, and if I'm doing starkly lit, more indicative stuff I control opacity with the number keys and size with the bracket keys. Another holdover from listening to Feng :/

I recently cleaned up + trimmed down my photoshop brushes/tool presets if you're looking for some:

brushes

tool presets

hosted on google drive, which hopefully works

Hey I totally have the same brushes!

Slightly unrelated, but games Kasavin sounds kind of like Feng Zhu.

Added some details: uA7Crql.jpg

Just to help you along, buddy, I made a mockup of how the game should look when it's up and running in Unity. No problem, man!

X4Tc9QK.jpg

The ground cover on that last painting is great! I feel like the atmospheric fog in it looks off, I think because there's too much texture in it.

There's a bunch of really beautiful stuff going on in here; I got myself a new desktop background thanks to those space mushrooms. This is probably wayyyy premature but if you're interested then I'd love to get involved with music/sound if this gets off the ground. I told myself I wouldn't be that new guy that immediately starts shopping his work around but this has really captured my imagination. Either way, this is a cool-ass thread!!

http://esotericsoftware.com/ Spine is interesting for 2d characters who aren't straight up sprite sheets. This is closer to how the characters in broken age are done (though I've heard in broken age the characters are surprisingly complicated and special cased, sometimes blipping between sprite animations and rigged characters depending on the needs of a shot)