melmer

Video Games: The Making Of

A thread where we post behind the scenes or making of videos and articles

When this stuff is done well I find at absolutely fascinating. Be it games from the past like that silent hill 2 making of video or the shadow of the colossus design doc or updates from games in development now. Of you find them interesting.... Share them

I'll start with the two I mentioned....

I must of dreamt up that SotC document as all I can find is the art book translation... Must be that :)

http://www.glitterberri.com/shadow-of-the-colossus/

The Valve coffee table book "Raising the Bar" about the development of mostly HL2 but also HL1/Quiver/Prospero/TFC/CS/etc is maybe the most amazing excellent one of these, but it is hard to find these days.

I got Dark Souls: Design Works a few days ago and it's fantastic. For me the real draw was the massive interview at the end with the design team. This quote from the book has been going around for the past few weeks, but there's plenty of other great stuff. At one point they even joke about how easily the last boss could be beaten just by parrying. For such an obtuse game it's really refreshing to hear the developers talking candidly about it.

Warren Spector's Deus Ex Postmortem is an excellent read. It always surprises me that almost no-one seems to know about it given how highly regarded the game is among the PC gaming crowd. It's a pretty fascinating look at the almost manifesto-like philosophy that went into the game's design and how it changed when put up against reality.

Warren Spector's Deus Ex Postmortem is an excellent read. It always surprises me that almost no-one seems to know about it given how highly regarded the game is among the PC gaming crowd. It's a pretty fascinating look at the almost manifesto-like philosophy that went into the game's design and how it changed when put up against reality.

Whooaa. Thanks for that.