Sign in to follow this  
toblix

#idlethumbs – Join the Idle Thumbs IRC channel!

The common solution to this is to have a bot in there with ops and nobody else does, which is fine by me (in fact I'd prefer it over the "funny" kick stuff you otherwise will inevitably get).

For those who don't want to install a program just for IRC. I've got some invites for irccloud.com for those interested

The common solution to this is to have a bot in there with ops and nobody else does, which is fine by me (in fact I'd prefer it over the "funny" kick stuff you otherwise will inevitably get).

Yeah I've seen this before. You can make it so certian people can tell the bot to do op-things, so it's like they are stealth ops. I bet there's a few open source implementations of said bot, or something similar.

We have like five times as many normal users as ops (approximately seventy-three times as many if you count all the toblices).

This is seriously the first time I've ever heard of anyone being scared off by the existence of someone with the power to moderate a chatroom. Is this a real problem?

No no no, I'm not saying I'm against it! osmo also seemed to like the idea (although his justification was entirely questionable, as fun-kicking can be done just as easily through a bot as it can without). I just am kind of surprised. But if enough people agree with you, I dunno. 

also i'm sorta lazy and don't know how to set up bots and i'm sorta lazy so someone else would have to do it

Hmm, I would have to figure out how to set up another concurrent screen to idle on quakenet as well as ircnet. I'll look into it.

I'm currently fine with the Op situation as is, FWIW. Going to trouble of constantly keeping a bot running and logged in somewhere seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Hmm, I would have to figure out how to set up another concurrent screen to idle on quakenet as well as ircnet. I'll look into it.

Want an irccloud invite? That way you can idle everywhere 24/7 and just open the website when you want!

Want an irccloud invite? That way you can idle everywhere 24/7 and just open the website when you want!

That actually sounds awesome, can I get one of those invites?

Can IRCCloud connect to multiple server groups at once? I have one group of friends on Blitzed, and then these other folks that are sometimes good for a laugh on Quakenet.

Can IRCCloud connect to multiple server groups at once? I have one group of friends on Blitzed, and then these other folks that are sometimes good for a laugh on Quakenet.

From the looks of the screenshot on their website, then yes you can definitely do that. If anyone has an invite for that they can throw my way, I would appreciate it. It sounds cool!

These web-based IRC clients seem like a great way for someone to log and harvest vast amounts of conversation and network logins, for what inevitably nefarious purpose I cannot imagine.

I wouldn't use them, personally.

Gormongous, you actually get an invite almost immediately if you just sign up over there. I got one pretty quickly.

Harvest vast amounts of chat room logs from... public chat rooms?

All of your authentication details and such are passed through it too, not to mention any private messages and password-protected channels. If you're OK with that then that's fine, but I've personally discussed some fairly private things on IRC over the years, not to mention have at times had privileged access to channels and servers. I dunno, to me it's like using some web-based thing for Skype or something: not a problem for some, huge problem for others — it depends on what you use it for. Just be aware of it. :tup:

I read this

I dunno, to me it's like using some web-based thing for Skype or something: not a problem for some, huge problem for others

as this

I dunno, to me it's like using some web-based thing for Skynet or something: not a problem for some, huge problem for others

All of your authentication details and such are passed through it too, not to mention any private messages and password-protected channels. If you're OK with that then that's fine, but I've personally discussed some fairly private things on IRC over the years, not to mention have at times had privileged access to channels and servers. I dunno, to me it's like using some web-based thing for Skype or something: not a problem for some, huge problem for others — it depends on what you use it for. Just be aware of it. :tup:

Yea, I get it. It is important to point out the privacy concerns there. But, seriously, securing IRC is on the same level as securing SMTP. Too much legacy crap that has poorly designed security controls around it to be trustworthy. Unless you've gone to some extremely great lengths with your operational security, assume anything you do on IRC is already public.

Gormongous, you actually get an invite almost immediately if you just sign up over there. I got one pretty quickly.

Yeah, I had the same experience. Took like.. one hour for me to get my invite.

FYI, IRC Cloud is only free for 7 days after which it costs $5/month. A bit pricey if you're like me and #idlethumbs is the only channel you use.

But the service is great! Seamlessly went from my browser to the iOS client, showing all the chat missed on between. Excellent stuff.