Sign in to follow this  
toblix

#idlethumbs – Join the Idle Thumbs IRC channel!

Keep in mind that I have no idea how to stream stuff, so someone else will have to organize it.

I can risk my JTV/Twitch channel and stream movies, like I used to. How bout it.

IRC always makes me feel like a dumb. It looks like there's an occasional bug with the webchat applet that keeps it from working when linked. Maybe tomorrow night, when I'm marathon-grading.

You should look into a standalone IRC client, Gorgomongous.You'll (probably) have none of those issues.

Thumbs IRC has been super fun!

I was kicking around the idea of streaming old movies or something once a week while gathering in chat. A chatroom that I used to visit did the same thing. Would anyone be interested in giving it a shot?

Super idea! 

Can those of us IRC noobs get a general consensus for best non-shareware, free IRC clients?

Those that toblix links in the original post are the general consensus from the IRC channel, at least.

Those toblix links in the original post are the general consensus from the IRC channel, at least.

I just saw that mIRC was shareware and assumed that maybe not all of those were totally free.

If you're on Windows and really aren't planning to do a lot of heavy IRC talk, Pidgin is free and works perfectly fine.

Boo, Lu.

Ah sorry, my reading comprehension failed me there.

Ah sorry, my reading comprehension failed me there.

No worries! I do feel silly about how much IRC confuses/scares me. Since webchat seems to be working now, I might take some time to sign on tonight after I finish yelling at my ISP about upping my bill by fifty percent.

So, I tested a movie stream today, and it seemed to have worked perfectly. So, what we need to do is just set up a date and time for when we watch a movie.

I may make a separate thread on the Idle Banter thread for this. Speaking of which, shouldn't this thread be on the Idle Banter thread? I see no game talk up in this.

Weird but good to see IRC mentioned by anyone in the 2010s. :tup: I guess I shall have to re-add QuakeNet to my daily idle list.

In case anyone actually remembers the place, we still have #monkey-island — which has somehow continued lingering on since the 90s — operating on irc.gamesurge.net. Pretty quiet, but we still get classic members like Rottingbeef, Emma, and Ben coming by.

Is the irc for idle game dev stuff or idle stuff? Caus yesterday it was amateur physiology hour.

I use it mainly for game dev talk, but it's just a channel for whatever, I guess. toblix has calculated that under 10% of the chat is dev focused. Science! Can't argue with that.

So I have a crazy idea for this channel, and it's based not on research or experience, but wild speculation. My idea is that everyone de-ops, or whatever it's called. The reason is that having two (or three) different «classes» of users on there may not feel as welcoming to newcomers as a more egalitarian thing. For example, I like that these forums don't do much in the way of stars or emblems other than for admins (as far as I know), as it prevents the thing where nobody wants to argue with the guy with a chestful of medals (though there is the post count, which goes counter to my argument) From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, everyone with op can still do all the op stuff when needed, so we wouldn't be in any danger of losing the channel, which I gather is something that could happen for some reason. This could be a horrible idea.

At least one person has to be the owner of the channel and logged in, which automatically means they need to be op'd by Q. Also I don't really think the thing you're worried about is a thing to worry about. Also if no one is op'd they actually can't do things. They'd have to get op'd and then do it.

Also even if we de-op'd all actual users, Q would still be op'd because he is a bot that is required in channels.

Also I don't really think the thing you're worried about is a thing to worry about.

(That said I don't mind passing the owner torch to someone better if people don't like me having power in the chatroom, for whatever reason.)