The matchmaking was fine in beta, not any perceptibly better or worse than the regular thing. I guess it's possible that rolling it out to Attrition and Hardpoint proper might have broke something, but I doubt that'd have anything to do with me not getting any CTF games.

Yeah, I struggled in particular with CTF games the other day. I met a guy who said he was looking for a game in a CTF lobby for about 30 minutes.  I too might be part of the problem as I've been playing it a lot less recently. I've just gotten Diablo III so that doesn't help too much...

There's probably just a smaller audience for the PC version, even if it's proven itself to be the best of the three. I imagine the bulk of the players are on Xbox One, as most of the ads almost exclusively that console. I hope it retains its playerbase, as the game is fantastic. I'm almost to my second regen.

I was going to ride my bike until I discovered it was raining outside, so I'll be doing this instead. Hit me up if y'all want to grind out some levels.

I love Titanfall so much. It has become my go to game when I've got 30 minutes and nothing to do. Everything about the game makes me feel like an ultra badass. 

Is Titanfall the new model for first person shooters? Does it live up to the hype? Will I ever get tired of rodeoing enemy Titans?

Beardo

I hadn't played Titanfall for a couple of weeks, partially because I was busy, and partially because I was playing other things. I signed back on hoping not to have lost too much ground. 

I have to say, even though I did alright, the matchmaking in this game is really weird. I'm only level 24, and I was put on a team with other people around the same level (14-30ish) against another team made entirely of people who had regenerated 4-7 times. I still had fun, but I just can't help but feel I'll never match the level of time invested in a game like this that some people put in.

I still really love Titanfall. I was playing a lot this weekend and finally regenerated. I have to agree though. At one point I was matched up against a premade of gen 8/9s while my team had me as the only gen 2. It's a pretty terrible matchmaking system. I find that if you  keep trying eventually you get into a balanced game. 

It's a game about cool moments for me. I had a couple which I'll describe because I'm waiting for stuff to finish at work.

1) Wall running above a catwalk I killed an enemy who had spotted me, turned to my left to see someone else shooting at me in a room, I lobbed a satchel charge in and blew him up for a double kill. All while wall running. 

2) Grabbed the enemy flag, at the last second before they capped, hopped in my titan waiting outside turned to see the enemy flag carrier who had chased me out. Punched him, activating my dash core. Popped it and sprinted to my cap within a few seconds. 

The matchmaking is pretty weak, so is the jump kick. It's so freaking glitchy. I've been killed by people who looked like they were across the room, or behind me facing the other direction. In their kill cam it looks fine, so I suppose it's the way respawn deals with latency. It's just really frustrating. 

I've been having fun skeet shooting with jump-kick happy pilots. There were a few in my last match who were just bouncing all over the place, and I just stayed on the ground, picking them off with a shot from my shotgun.

I hadn't played Titanfall for a couple of weeks, partially because I was busy, and partially because I was playing other things. I signed back on hoping not to have lost too much ground. 

I have to say, even though I did alright, the matchmaking in this game is really weird. I'm only level 24, and I was put on a team with other people around the same level (14-30ish) against another team made entirely of people who had regenerated 4-7 times. I still had fun, but I just can't help but feel I'll never match the level of time invested in a game like this that some people put in.

As far as I can tell, there's no skill based matchmaking at all. I think it pretty much picks a group of random opponents and goes for it. All the new matchmaking system seems to have done is split the two teams after the game is done, but the killer teams still stay together so it doesn't do much good.

You're incorrect, but there's no real way to tell how off the mark you might be--Respawn assigns players a skill rank, but it is not made visible to the community.

Prior to the update, game simply were looking for 12 people with the best ping to ensure a smooth gameplay experience. The game now prioritizes skill over ping (to some nebulous extent), so you'll play against the same opponents if the games are relatively even. Once a lobby becomes one-sided, the teams are separated and paired with opposing teams that are closer in skill.

Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped the complaints of lopsided matchmaking (which seems insane, in light of Call of Duty's very similar matchmaking system), and has served to increase time between rounds for those of us who didn't particularly care beforehand.

Also, I think y'all are discounting the fact that a player's stats most likely suffer when he's fulfilling challenges for the next Regeneration phase. For instance, I'm currently bogged down by R-97 SMG challenges, and my KDR has taken a significant hit because it's the worst goddamn gun in the entire game.

I know it seems counterintuitive, but it's important to remember that skill and level are not a one-to-one ratio.

On sale for $48... So tempted, but I'll need to reinstall Windows 8 with a much larger partition on my macbook....

Anyone ever reinstalled Windows a second time on a mac before?  I've got tomorrow off, maybe I'll chunk off an hour or so to see if it's feasible (I don't remember how I installed it, if was from a disk on online or what...).

Edit: Found the install disk and gave myself a solid 250gb this time.  Should have it downloaded for the day off tomorrow!  And here I thought I'd get a bunch of chores done...

It's a super fun competitive first-person shooter (if that helps your decision).

I'm not playing a variety of games right now, and Titanfall is great for just pulling off awesomeness within 15 minutes.

Had a long weekend off from work that my wife didn't get, so it was a perfect time to play Titanfall for the first time!

Overall, I really enjoy it.  It's fun.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of polish with the world-building.

The "room" that you start and finish training in, for instance.  I found it odd that they built that entire sequence of you getting into a training pod, etc. only to never go back to the space.  I thought maybe it would be a hub-like element, but the rest of the navigational stuff is menu based.... So the training pod thing felt tacked on, like they had planned on doing more with it, but didn't have time to get to it.  Also it was on rails!!  Weird.

The menus are fine and clear, and nothing more.  I like to judge a game by its loading wheel.  Titanfall's feels placeholder.

The campaign is total nonsense!  I was playing at slightly odd times, so every time I would jump back into the campaign it couldn't find other people playing the same mission, so it would start me over at the beginning.  I played the opening 3 missions a few times, and never got a sense of grounding.  By the time I finished the campaign I figured out that the IMC is some sort of corporation/govt thing and the militia is a rebel group?  And we're on "the frontier"?  And there was a cutscene with a dude shoving large cylinders into something?  When I really tried to focus in on what they were saying it all seemed really specific to the particular mission:  we're going to the planet because we found a giant broken spaceship and we don't know how it got there, so go!  Nothing seemed to link the missions together.  There was a sense that "the real story" was going on elsewhere while all us foot soldiers did the heavy-lifting, but that wasn't very clear, either.

I finished the campaign feeling more confused about the conflict that the general game is situated around than when I started.  As far as AAA FPSs go, though, I very much prefer a dry, obfuscated narrative than something over-the-top and "emotional".  Though Titanfall's didn't feel purposefully that way, it felt unpolished.  Curious to see if playing as the militia will be any different.

(I'm going to go read the wiki after posting this, so no need to fill in the gaps for me.)   :D

ALLLL that being said.  The game is fun.  Just expected the whole package to be more cohesive.

Working my way through Generation 5 or so, now.  Really glad they reduced the Gooser requirement to 5, from 50.  That might've ended my desire to regenerate at that point.  The game's still just a dumb amount of fun.  I've poured maybe 60 hours into it, and it's still not bland or boring, and I'm not even playing special game modes, just Attrition.

Every round just feels like a custom-crafted missile aimed at my pleasure and adrenaline centers, and it hits every single damned time.  From that initial (now familiar) countdown and leap out of the shuttle to the mad scramble at the end of a match to kill/escape, it's just great.  And this is coming from someone who hasn't played a multiplayer shooter since the UT 2004 days.

Really interested to see what they do with the map packs, and if they ever release additional modes.

The other night I was playing Attrition and I saw a red dot in a building so I went around the building to go into a side door. As I was moving in, a friendly grunt said this as I was passing him "Be careful, he's cloaked." I looked in the doorway and sure enough, there was a cloaked player waiting for me in there whom I shot immediately, but I would not have seen in time had it not been for that regular grunt. 

The other night I was playing Attrition and I saw a red dot in a building so I went around the building to go into a side door. As I was moving in, a friendly grunt said this as I was passing him "Be careful, he's cloaked." I looked in the doorway and sure enough, there was a cloaked player waiting for me in there whom I shot immediately, but I would not have seen in time had it not been for that regular grunt. 

That's amazing. Would've been even better if you turned back to the grunt but he'd disappeared...

That's happened to me in a similar way. I heard grunts shouting "Hostile pilot spotted." I checked my map and didn't see any blips but I turned a corner and saw him running up a wall. A few rounds of the carbine sorted him out.

The grunt barks are really useful!

Every time I load the game up, I'm not able to get a lobby.

Mornings are dead. I've only been able to play in the afternoon and evening.

Mornings are dead. I've only been able to play in the afternoon and evening.

Yeah, I've tried a few times to play on a Saturday morning and definitely takes a good 10 minutes to find a game. (pc)

Got two rounds in last night with two of the new Expedition maps.  Swampthing and VR training.  Both are fun!  Swamp has great verticality, and wall-running between trees is great.  There's a lot of natural high-ground, so there's plenty of opportunity to pick off titans or jump down for some rodeos.  Pilots feel nicely camouflaged (when they're not out in the open).  The VR training map on the other hand is so clean, pristine, and well lit (my framerate skyrocketed up when I first fell in) that there's not a lot of places for pilots to hide.  They didn't have to design for "believability" so there's tons of wall-running corridors.  I almost never get in my titan, so I can't speak for how they feel in-titan.

I'm only on gen 1, lv 34 and of course was placed against a team with a few gen 10s....  Let's just say that my goal in these games is to die as little as possible ala Dota 2 rather than trying to constantly get kills...  Certainly has reminded me to just have fun exploring the maps and not just sprint to the red dots on my map at all times.

I was secretly hoping that the expedition pack would update the main title background.  Maybe it's that it's rendering it in realtime (my settings are on low since it's been so hot in LA), but it always looks like badly compressed video.  Something about their font choice, too, just rubs me the wrong way.  :)