I find myself not liking any mode more than the other particularly, but rather preferring the Variety Pack mode so I can switch it up. The different modes really do differentiate quite well for an otherwise familiar series of game modes, with you having to really reprioritize your targets or change your pace based on the specific objective.

Killing a titan with another titan is great, I have Warpfall Transmitter on a couple of my builds for that purpose specifically.

The 40mm cannon is actually my favorite of the Titan weapons. It's quite good against infantry granted you use the aim, and it's also great in burst fire mode to do a lot of damage within a tight window of line-of-sight.

One criticism I have of the game is that I honestly feel that Titans are still quite overpowered in particular game modes, CTF chief among them. If a team scores an early point, all they have to do is plunk 3 Titans on their flag with Triple Threat and no person will be able to touch it. Actually convince your team to lay out a force large enough to take out 3 Titans AND give you room of opportunity to grab the flag, and you've left your flag wide open. Tons of Titans require a ridiculously high degree of coordination to overcome and it's really hard in that mode to get people to actually work cooperatively to that extent.

Yeah, the problem is that there are a lot of maps that require close range. I really wish I could run shotgun/smart pistol as primary/secondary. 

In hard point the shotgun seems to be my go to weapon. All those buildings allow me to get some good hits off. 

Do people even use the secondary? I've pulled it out once but it took so many hits to kill someone I never bothered again.

I'm M&K, I prefer the feel of using a mouse to aim, but mostly because I don't have a controller and I'm waiting for xbone controller support. The Dpad on the 360 is not great.

I go to special effort to avoid getting in fights in close range areas. Rather than being in the building with the capture point, I'll be on top shooting at folks as they try to come in. There are open areas in most of the maps. Most people will run toward you so frantically that you can really think about where you want to have the fight and lure them in.

I use the secondary for long range sniping of grunts if I'm somewhere where the fight isn't at the moment, but generally I'll just switch over to my secondary if needed.

Maaaan, these regeneration challenges are killing me.  So I regenerated on the weekend, on Generation 2 now.  After the first regeneration, it segregates out challenges in your challenges menu as Regeneration challenges, that need to be completed to regenerate again in the future.

To go from Gen 2 to Gen 3?  40mm Cannon kills on Titan primary weapon, and EVA-8 Shotgun kills.  I'm terrrrrible with the Shotgun.

So far the only solace I'm taking from this is that once I finish off the shotgun challenges I need, I can go back to my one, true love;  the smart pistol.

The 40mm cannon isn't quite as terrible to use, but I still miss something more elegant like the railgun or the lightning weapon.

Also I killed someone else's titan by dropping my titan on it.  I was so surprised I actually yelled out loud, surprising my wife.

I'm a week into playing, and really not at all getting tired of the gameplay.  Attrition and CTF being my favorites.

Gen 5 is like 50 gooser kills (kill an ejecting pilot). Gen 3 to 4 is 50 railgun titan kills (the worst), 50 satchel charge kills, and 75 smg kills.

I go to special effort to avoid getting in fights in close range areas. Rather than being in the building with the capture point, I'll be on top shooting at folks as they try to come in. There are open areas in most of the maps. Most people will run toward you so frantically that you can really think about where you want to have the fight and lure them in.

I use the secondary for long range sniping of grunts if I'm somewhere where the fight isn't at the moment, but generally I'll just switch over to my secondary if needed.

Defending a hardpoint in close range isn't too bad. I love taking the smart pistol for this purpose... get on the top of a building with a hardpoint that you're defending and use the smart pistol to take out anyone who is having trouble finding the door into the building or wallrunning/vaulting up the sides. Occasionally drop down into the building with a LOS out the door and periodically cloak so you can get a hard lock on an approaching guy. If you don't get a full lock, aim and unload your whole smart pistol clip. I was playing a game with Forbin (IIRC) where I defended one hardpoint for practically the whole game using this strategy. I had over 2.5k defense points and only died twice.

I've got to stop reading this. I won't get to play until the weekend thanks to work being crazy, but I need my fix. 

The point about people running at you like crazy isn't far off. The shotgun just works so well in that scenario though. 

One thing I'm awful at is melee. I've died in every melee fight thanks to being terrible at melee in first person view. The "Jump Kick" being a one hit kill is kinda frustrating. 

I haven't seen these first hand, but the whole Generation thing being tied to increasingly difficult kill counts is the kind of thing that tends to drive me crazy in multiplayer games.  It's great to encourage diversity of play, but I think it's terrible to saddle players with onerous tasks in order to level up.

I haven't seen these first hand, but the whole Generation thing being tied to increasingly difficult kill counts is the kind of thing that tends to drive me crazy in multiplayer games.  It's great to encourage diversity of play, but I think it's terrible to saddle players with onerous tasks in order to level up.

They aren't locking content behind it though, just a badge.

As far as I'm concerned, ego-fuel/cosmetic content can be locked by as much dumb stuff as they desire.

They aren't locking content behind it though, just a badge.

Doesn't really matter in my experience though.  A couple of games off the top of my head (Mass Effect 3 co-op and Gears of War) you would see people doing annoying things (pursuing individual goals to the detriment of the team goal) or using annoying loadouts just in the pursuit of a badge or achievement. 

I don't think the idea is inherently terrible, I just think certain implementations of it are less beneficial than other ways of doing it. 

I don't actually see the value of aiming down the sight on the smartpistol, because the giant dot in the middle of the screen is your aimpoint and you don't get the gun in your way.

I generally don't fire from the hip with most weapons, only the shotgun and SMG (if not silenced). Of course, I'll pull the trigger if the guy is dead in front of me if caught by surprise with any weapon. Also, I find that it's unintuitive to fire the smart pistol toward the aimpoint as you call it, because generally you're not doing that when using the weapon.

Also, does ADS not improve accuracy statistically? I've noticed it most obviously while using the 40mm at range, but aiming/zooming in seems to improve the grouping/accuracy of your shots inherently.

I don't actually see the value of aiming down the sight on the smartpistol, because the giant dot in the middle of the screen is your aimpoint and you don't get the gun in your way.

Load up pilot training and shoot at the same spot twice, once from the hip and once down the sights. Report back to me if you don't see a significant difference in where you two bullets ended up.

I generally don't fire from the hip with most weapons, only the shotgun and SMG (if not silenced). Of course, I'll pull the trigger if the guy is dead in front of me if caught by surprise with any weapon. Also, I find that it's unintuitive to fire the smart pistol toward the aimpoint as you call it, because generally you're not doing that when using the weapon.

Also, does ADS not improve accuracy statistically? I've noticed it most obviously while using the 40mm at range, but aiming/zooming in seems to improve the grouping/accuracy of your shots inherently.

I am an aim-down-sights kind of guy as well, and it absolutely improves accuracy. I meant specifically with regard to the smart pistol because it's either locked or you're hitting the center of the screen.

So I've discovered that the LMG is insanely powerful and requires next to no accuracy at point-blank range. It kicks like a sonuvabitch if you're trying to get any range out of it, however. I only played one game of attrition with it, but I didn't notice any movement penalty for carrying a heavier gun, perhaps they've adjusted recoil instead of movement speed this time around.

Yeah, the LMG functions much like it does in COD, actually. I would use a silenced LMG like a SMG - it fired nearly as fast as any SMG and did much more damage per bullet. In my limited use with the LMG in this game, I figure it functions fairly similarly. It is nearly useless at range, though, which is kind of annoying.

I love the LMG in BF4, but the one in Titanfall performs nothing like it. Where it's good (I hear) is rodeoing enemy Titans. You can take out a whole Titan on one clip and, if you get the slammer mod, it's only half a clip.

Finished up my Regen 2 challenges, so now I'm back to whatever loadout I feel like running.  Feels good!

Saw a few Gen 5s last night.  Crazy.

Are there guns that do require accuracy at point-blank range?

Yes. The R101-C, G2A4, the B3 Wingman, the first SMG...

I love the LMG in BF4, but the one in Titanfall performs nothing like it. Where it's good (I hear) is rodeoing enemy Titans. You can take out a whole Titan on one clip and, if you get the slammer mod, it's only half a clip.

It's also great for racking up minion kills. the damage guarantees almost instant death for enemy NPCs and is great once you're inside medium range to target.

I finally used the smart pistol for the first time in a few days, and it does indeed shoot EXACTLY in the dot at the center of your screen if it has not locked on to a target. ADS doesn't perform any extra function other than being a creature comfort due to familiarity.

I finally used the smart pistol for the first time in a few days, and it does indeed shoot EXACTLY in the dot at the center of your screen if it has not locked on to a target. ADS doesn't perform any extra function other than being a creature comfort due to familiarity.

That's REALLY useful information. Anecdotally in matches I found my aim decreased using iron sights but that's because I'm pretty shit at using iron sights on pistols. 

Does the smart pistol lock on individual shots sequentially, or is the "partial lock" my imagination?

Half of my point was that my intuition is not to use hip-fire if I want accuracy, so I don't really think that information does me much good because I'd actually have to put in an effort to act differently with no perceptible advantage other than maybe sparing the time it takes to go ADS.