The smart pistol gets really good when you get the mod that lowers target acquisition time.

The amped smart pistol is ridiculous.

Amped smart pistol is civilization.

There's a map I played the other night where the outer points of the map are connected by dangly cable to this big central tower.  By hopping on the lines, I could traverse the whole map in maybe 10 seconds.  It was exhilarating.

I need to branch out.  I've mostly only been playing Attrition, but have seen enough good things about CTF that I feel I should give that a try.

I got into a couple CTF matches this evening no problem. Seems like there's generally a shortage of flag defenders, so I've found my niche there. I end up in third place or so, but I end up with the most pilot kills and often the most flag returns. Not bad at all.

Faced a team of 4/6 smart pistols and 2/6 silenced carbines in attrition. Completely dominated my team, made excellent use of cloaking and I think stealth kits to let us move past them then sneak behind us over and over again. Carbine guys would take out anyone who got wise or tried to strafe. We got outscored something like 3:1.

I still haven't tried the CTF mode, mostly because I've never enjoyed it in previous competitive shooters. I was playing more Hardpoint during the beta, but find myself almost exclusively playing Attrition during the full release, in an effort to master some of the game's weapons and PVP.

Just a head's up, if you are the sort of person who wants to regenerate, make sure you look at the regeneration requirements before you're level 45. It's more than just hitting 50 and mashing the button.

The smart pistol gets really good when you get the mod that lowers target acquisition time.

I tried this out. I'm still not sure I'm using it "right."

I wait for acquisition and by that time most people have seen and started (or finished) shooting at me. I don't know whether I'm doing it wrong, or whether my playstyle is just unsuited to this type of gun. 

I've had most success with the shotgun. I'm very much out of practice with shooters (with Halo 2 being the last multiplayer shooter I put any time into), so I tend to pull the trigger first and aim later - perfect for the shotgun.

The pistol's sweet spot is far away, just inside locking range. Cloak or being up high out of direct line of view helps, as does jumping around like an idiot.

The Shotgun has pretty good range on the one hit kill. It's the weapon I go up against the most by far.

I'm not a big fan of the shotgun. With this being my first PC FPS in a long time I find my aim is really poor with mouse/key, so I'm hopeless with the shotgun. My jaw sometimes hits the floor when I see the speed of people on kill cams. I was once killed by a guy who threw an explosive pack at me and shot it in mid air or something, I barely got a shot off.

My last five'ish matches were much better though, finding that not always sprinting and taking some time to look at the mini-map is helping. I couldn't figure out why I was dying so many times early on before I realised I was using parkour too much, leaving myself open a lot. And naturally trying to hit targets when you are zipping around is much harder than when standing. 

Due to the parkour and wallhanging, I do a lot of running into a room/turning a corner, cloaking, and then turning around to check if someone is trying to get the jump on me. About 25% of the times I feel the need to do it, I am actually being followed and it was worth the trouble.

Am I weird for using the controller on the PC version? I haven't found myself particularly at a disadvantage, but that may just be because I'm fairly decent at FPS games.

Am I weird for using the controller on the PC version? I haven't found myself particularly at a disadvantage, but that may just be because I'm fairly decent at FPS games.

That was my first instinct as well, just because my shootery play has drifted over to consoles in recent years, but I must say the mouse & keyboard controls feel really good. I've done some funky aerial moves that I don't think I would have pulled off on a pad.

I'm usually a controller person since my first major FPS was Halo, but I'm doing well with the keyboard and mouse. At the same time, the aiming is sloppy enough that I think a controler would do well.

It's more to do with the aim assist than your proficiency, I'd wager.

I'm not a big fan of the shotgun. With this being my first PC FPS in a long time I find my aim is really poor with mouse/key, so I'm hopeless with the shotgun. My jaw sometimes hits the floor when I see the speed of people on kill cams. I was once killed by a guy who threw an explosive pack at me and shot it in mid air or something, I barely got a shot off.

My last five'ish matches were much better though, finding that not always sprinting and taking some time to look at the mini-map is helping. I couldn't figure out why I was dying so many times early on before I realised I was using parkour too much, leaving myself open a lot. And naturally trying to hit targets when you are zipping around is much harder than when standing. 

:o I know how I'm going to attempt to get the rest of my satchel charge kills to regen.

As a member of the PC Master Race, yes of course!

But hey, do what's good. They've also said explicitly that there is some sort of skill-based matchmaking, so you're going to (eventually?) end up matched against people of your skill level regardless of input choice.

It's more to do with the aim assist than your proficiency, I'd wager.

Nah, I don't think so. My stats in Call of Duty have been even between the console versions and PC versions I've picked up over the years.

It's not meant to be a knock; I'm just bringing up the fact that Respawn's added aim-assist for the controller to help level the playing field for those playing with 360 controllers.

I'm a diehard console shooter guy, but there's a grace to parkour with mouse & keyboard that I can't replicate with the controller. With a controller, you have to move your thumb from the stick to the A button to jump. With kb&m, you can turn mid-jump and totally change direction.

That's true, it's easier to mantle and wall run with m+k, but I feel like it's more fun with control sticks for some reason (just the running).

I hate the tightness of the sticks on a 360 controller. Really surprised they don't have native XBONE controller support for PC yet.

The pistol's sweet spot is far away, just inside locking range. Cloak or being up high out of direct line of view helps, as does jumping around like an idiot.

The Shotgun has pretty good range on the one hit kill. It's the weapon I go up against the most by far.

Yeah, the problem is that there are a lot of maps that require close range. I really wish I could run shotgun/smart pistol as primary/secondary. 

In hard point the shotgun seems to be my go to weapon. All those buildings allow me to get some good hits off. 

Do people even use the secondary? I've pulled it out once but it took so many hits to kill someone I never bothered again.

I'm M&K, I prefer the feel of using a mouse to aim, but mostly because I don't have a controller and I'm waiting for xbone controller support. The Dpad on the 360 is not great.

I use the secondary all the time. The revolver is extremely powerful and can take a dude out in 1-2 hits. The others are adequate when you can't reload fast enough and a flag carrier is almost out of reach.

Don't forget that you can also fire the smart pistol as a regular pistol. Many of my kills with that weapon come after only a partial lock and finishing the job with an aimed shot to the chest.

The revolver is extremely powerful and can take a dude out in 1-2 hits. 

Don't forget that you can also fire the smart pistol as a regular pistol. Many of my kills with that weapon come after only a partial lock and finishing the job with an aimed shot to the chest.

Don't have it yet, but I'll equip it when I get it.

Yes, I've been doing that, although it's hard to tell when there's a partial lock in my opinion. 

Maaaan, these regeneration challenges are killing me.  So I regenerated on the weekend, on Generation 2 now.  After the first regeneration, it segregates out challenges in your challenges menu as Regeneration challenges, that need to be completed to regenerate again in the future.

To go from Gen 2 to Gen 3?  40mm Cannon kills on Titan primary weapon, and EVA-8 Shotgun kills.  I'm terrrrrible with the Shotgun.

So far the only solace I'm taking from this is that once I finish off the shotgun challenges I need, I can go back to my one, true love;  the smart pistol.

The 40mm cannon isn't quite as terrible to use, but I still miss something more elegant like the railgun or the lightning weapon.

Also I killed someone else's titan by dropping my titan on it.  I was so surprised I actually yelled out loud, surprising my wife.

I'm a week into playing, and really not at all getting tired of the gameplay.  Attrition and CTF being my favorites.

I just regenerates yesterday and was pleased to find out that the requirements are now listed. I had looked it up on a wiki and thought that the shotgun/40mm cannon challenges were necessary to go to level 2.

I kinda like that there is a slight motivation to commit to other play-styles baked into the rewards system.