I know, right? Really dumb! Just like that time in Star Wars where Han and Luke are shooting TIE Fighters in the Falcon and Han turns around to yell "don't get cocky!" at Luke even though they have headsets on! Titanfall and Star Wars are stupid.

Lol. This reminds me of my friend who says weird ragdoll corpses in Dark Souls are a deal breaker for him. Like, what? (nothing will beat wall hacking corpses in Stalker pounding that staccato drum beat in ever crescendoing collision sound effects)

Vasari, one of my favorite window shopping subjects! I own both a Corsair k70 and a Das keyboard (forget the model). They're both great, clacky mechanical monstrosities. the k70 has a palm rest though. And reinforced WASD keys.

I've actually never used a mechanical keyboard before, I've been a little wary of buying one without having tried it first. I guess I should just bite the bullet and get one! I'll need to find one from a UK retailer though.

What's the benefit of a mechanical keyboard besides being hell of loud?

I'm also in the Cheap But Efficient keyboard boat. Once you get past the maximum keypresses supported, I don't have a lot of qualms about going low class and sturdy. Maybe that would change if I knew what the allure was. Also if there was something reasonable in the <$60 range.

Oh also maybe we could have rad hardware chats in a hardware thread. Is there one? I see the Pick a Mouse thread is newly created.

I think the biggest draw is the tactile feedback you get with a mechanical keyboard. They're also built to last. I'm currently typing out this post on a refurbed Dell low profile board I got for $10. Granted, I went out and bought a fancy-ass mouse, but I have a harder time justifying the price difference between a functional and boutique keyboard.

There's a hardware thread or two in Idle Banter, but can't dig them up right now.

As for the "cheap and replacable" route, I've been there, but my keyboard is a Logitech G510 I spent 70$. That was in 7 years ago, and it's still going strong. Recently I've started going that route with more hardware, like my wireless gaming headset.  I spent ~99$ on it this year, but I expect it to last years and years, and the quality bump from cheaper headsets is significant.

Eh, I used a generic optical mouse for almost a decade, but my first laser logitech mouse I replaced it with even though it wasn't broken? Well that broke within a year.

"You pay for what you get" supposedly, but I've not found that to necessarily be the case with peripherals at all times. I don't know how long I've had that keyboard for my desktop I'm staring at right now, but I do know it was like $18 and the last time I bought a keyboard was from before I even got that desktop. Which would mean its at least 6 years old, it's beat to hell and dirty, and works perfectly.

I've said this in other threads, but I've given up buying gaming specific keyboards.  They always come with additional features/buttons that I never end up using.  These days full keyboards for me are just for typing stuff so I try to find something comfortable (I actually like the split ergonomic ones).  For actual gaming, I've found I much prefer gaming keypads.  They feel much more comfortable, are much more functional, and I feel are overall a better bang for the buck since I tend to utilize all the features.

Of course if you want something wireless then everything I've just said is moot.

Wow, logged in to see where the conversation had gone and it is at this.

When this comes out on the Bone, can someone tell me if you need to sign up for an EA account or not?

That is the deal breaker for me.

Wow, logged in to see where the conversation had gone and it is at this.

When this comes out on the Bone, can someone tell me if you need to sign up for an EA account or not?

That is the deal breaker for me.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/02/titanfall-wont-require-origin-on-xbox-one-new-beta-information-released/

Innocuous website, but quotes real Twitter posts that seem to confirm no Origin required on Xbone.

https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/437980161263153152

Too long, didn't click: 21GB download, 48GB installed.

Wowza!  Sad to say I won't be picking this game up now.  I've only got a 75GB windows partition on my MacBook, so I'd be pretty limited in what else I could have installed.  It's the kind of game I'd love to have sitting on my hard-drive to pick up and play anytime, but I'd be uninstalling it constantly to make room for other large games.  Oh well!  I'm probably in the minority of who this will affect. :)

Holy shit. There is no earthly reason for that game to be that big. That's like half my SSD right there. These developers need to stop being so fucking lazy and start compressing their audio files.

Holy shit. There is no earthly reason for that game to be that big. That's like half my SSD right there. These developers need to stop being so fucking lazy and start compressing their audio files.

Textures to fill up 8 gigs of ram are huge.

It happens. I'd buy a bigger hard drive if you want to play ANY "next gen" game. It's not something you think about to "upgrade" to play a new game I know. But hey, a 1tb HDD is $60, not really that bad.

I have a 1TB HDD, but I don't want to install ANY games to the HDD. Maybe it's less important in an online-only game, but the decrease in load times from an HDD to an SSD cannot be understated. It takes literally 20 seconds to go from off to desktop on my machine. Also, I'd wager that most of the bloat here is uncompressed international audio and localization files, for which I have absolutely zero use.

Is the download size really news? Some last-gen games were that big on PC, and current gen games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts have download sizes from 30-40GB. Blame it on next-gen having more stuff, higher texture resolution, or uncompressed audio, it won't make much difference as it's definitely the standard of the day and you're just going to have to get used to it by settling with big HDDs, spending some serious bank to buy huge SSDs to accommodate a library of games, or being very conservative with your SSD space and deleting when interest wanes.

It's literally twice the size of Assassin's Creed 4. I find it impossible to believe there's twice the content in a multiplayer-only shooter versus a 50-hour single-player adventure that also contains an entirely separate multiplayer experience.

I knew I was going to need to clear space to make room for the game, but 50 gigs? What about the size of the inevitable DLC?

They better let me pre-load the goddamn 21GB download.

Without exaggeration, it's going to take me the better part of a week to download 21GB...  :frusty:

Wishing I'd not pre-ordered a game key now and just plumped for a physical copy instead.

There was a Kingston 120GB SSD on Newegg today for less than $70, nearly bought it just to give Titanfall a dedicated home.

I just might purchase another modest SSD to use for dedicated game storage.

I wonder if Titanfall will have any amusingly-implemented copy protection just as in Arkham Psychiatric Institute.

- All mechs are replaced with crude replications of the work of Venetian painter Titian.

- As the first Titan lands, AI creeps turn towards it and cry out in a Monty Python chorus wail "the Titan has fallen! The Titan has fallen!" Everything else freezes on the spot.

- Your pilot is colored dayglo yellow, leaves dayglo yellow footprints everywhere, and all other players are rewarded with double XP for killing you in the face.

Got my PC key from Greenman Gaming. Pre-loading starts today.

I guess the official site has listed some more of the weapons available in the full game, and hint as if there are still more to come:

http://www.titanfall.com/pilots/assassin

Weird that there's an arc mine, but no arc grenade. Wonder if they found those things too powerful and just straight-up removed them from the game after the public beta. Also, DLC has been announced, with three map packs costing $10 individually or available as a season pass for $25. Pretty aggressive pricing on EA's front, which is nice to see.

Weird that there's an arc mine, but no arc grenade. Wonder if they found those things too powerful and just straight-up removed them from the game after the public beta.

Seeing as the official site doesn't list everything I would suspect the answer is "they are still in the game."