Yeah, getting that first Titan can make all the difference as far as momentum is concerned. When you do a particularly good job of taking out minions in attrition, you can get a good 1-2 minute head start on enemy Titans and really swing the early momentum in your team's favor.

One other thing I like is that the challenges for each of the weapons seems appropriate to the weapon - for instance, kill counts needed to earn SMG attachments are much higher than those for the sniper rifle, because they know that your kill count is probably going to be lower using the slower semi-automatic weapon. I didn't think I'd like sniping at first because the sight was such a high magnification and things move so fast in the game that it's hard to be effective. But if you put a little time into it, you can unlock an ACOG-style sight and suppressor that can make it so easy to get early points in attrition by killing off waves of minions at a distance and even getting some nice pilot kills in while they're racing forward to slaughter.

Well I managed to blag my way into the beta, not had a go yet. What should I expect from this game? Halo or CoD?

Mirror's Edge + Armored Core + COD

So my sceptical brain has been working on over-time as to where the eventual disappointment will be in this game purely from the beta, and here's my thoughts:

I don't think it's the weapons, as even with 5 main weapons we have currently, each weapon has it's own bunch of tactics, and upon unlocking more perks and stuff, can be combined effectively to have enjoyably different play styles. My current fav is the shotgun with the speed perk, and running like a loon and shooting people at point blank range. Also the weapon unlocks keeps you playing.

It would be nice to have more anti-titan weapons, maybe a slower firing rocket launcher that deals more damage but doesn't lock on?

Also a smoke grenade would be nice.

I think the disappointment will be that there probably won't be much more in the game than what we have in the beta. Story will be nice, but won't keep people playing the same 2 maps. I think that what we'll get is a bare-bones game, maybe one more mech, maybe 2 more maps - the rest will be DLC. And they'll churn it out at a steady pace too.

The other thing that's crossed my mind is that this is might be a yearly release game akin to what COD and Battlefield is now. Or failing that, despite their claims that it will not be f2p, it'll go f2p, as it's a model that'll fit perfectly for this game. bacon decal for your titan anyone?

But I could be wrong. I want to be wrong, because I really like this game. I want the full release to be none of this and be awesome, and have ign say it'll blow me away.

But either way I won't be preordering it because Dark Souls 2 comes out on the same day. I'm also so weary about it because people have been burnt by EA so many times previously.

On weapons, there's clearly more in the full game than the beta, there's burn cards for weapons that aren't unlocked in the beta yet.  I really would not be surprised if there was a smoke grenade for soldiers given titan's have a smoke ability. I don't think they can do yearly release, I think respawn is a smaller studio than infinity ward was and I believe they might own their IP rather than EA

Respawn has promised that they won't be doing microtransactions, premium like BF, etc. Supposedly, they're only going to do map packs. However, it is very possible that those 15 maps in the link above aren't all going to be available at launch.

There are three Titan Bodies, all of which you can get in the Beta with burn cards, with a few weapon options for each. I would have liked to see more personally, but I die within about 15 seconds of getting in one anway so *shrug*

The possbility of server problems worries me a bit, as well as the stupid lobby system they've setup. Why is it so hard to just do the same thing that Halo 2 did ten years ago? I just want random opponents each time. How it's setup now encourages a team that's doing well to stay together and just keep getting matched up random trash. You end up in a situation (at least in the beta) where there are 10 rooms up and hosted, all with teams of absolute destruction in them, and there's no way to get in a fair match.

In the end, I pre-ordered, simply because if I didn't I wouldn't get to play any online games with friends for weeks,

I preordered. I enjoyed the beta so much. The nagging fear of being SimCity'd was banished because there isn't the next level of the thing that's missing. Once the round is over, another round begins. They withheld features, but not complexity.

My boss today told me he was going to get Titanfall upon release in lieu of Dark Souls 2. I ended up pre-ordered a copy for both of us because I had a multi-use coupon for $10 off.

I think there's an understated elegance to the design of the game. I don't know that I want to get into it a post-mortem until I've played the full release, but I can't fathom it'll be anything less than a goddamn good video game.

Maybe the reason I'm not loving this game is because I'm not playing it with anyone I know. I really want to like it, but it hasn't clicked for me yet.

I have no idea what this game is, I've just been hearing about it and I've seen that it's a shooter some of my friends are playing it. I watched a trailer from 8 months ago and it started by a guy in a big mech suit opening up the front of the suit to yell orders at the people on the ground who already had some sort of radio communication going on. I stopped watching there. Has the game been patched since then, or are people still stupid?

I have no idea what this game is, I've just been hearing about it and I've seen that it's a shooter some of my friends are playing it. I watched a trailer from 8 months ago and it started by a guy in a big mech suit opening up the front of the suit to yell orders at the people on the ground who already had some sort of radio communication going on. I stopped watching there. Has the game been patched since then, or are people still stupid

People are still stupid. It hasn't even come out yet, but the beta suggests that it will be that genre of game where you die and spawn a lot as you run around with guns and grenades. It feels fast-paced with drip-feed rewards and quickly determined skirmishes. That's exactly the type of thing I want to play today; shoot, shoot, die, shoot, shoot, die, upgrade.

Ended up buying some gaming headphones in anticipation of this game. Stupidly debating buying a mouse as well--I'm currently rocking a 3-button Dell mouse that's got to be at least a decade old.

I have no idea what this game is, I've just been hearing about it and I've seen that it's a shooter some of my friends are playing it. I watched a trailer from 8 months ago and it started by a guy in a big mech suit opening up the front of the suit to yell orders at the people on the ground who already had some sort of radio communication going on. I stopped watching there. Has the game been patched since then, or are people still stupid?

I know, right? Really dumb! Just like that time in Star Wars where Han and Luke are shooting TIE Fighters in the Falcon and Han turns around to yell "don't get cocky!" at Luke even though they have headsets on! Titanfall and Star Wars are stupid.

Ended up buying some gaming headphones in anticipation of this game. Stupidly debating buying a mouse as well--I'm currently rocking a 3-button Dell mouse that's got to be at least a decade old.

Ol' Trusty won't let you down.

I just realized when I said I stopped watching the trailer the logical assumption is that I wasn't interested in playing it. I'm actually pretty excited to play it. I don't think it will be a day 1 perch, but I imagine I'll spend a lot of time playing it between semesters this summer.

Does it have one of those fancy laser doohickeys? If so you're good to go.

I was ready to just dismiss this game because I generally don't like competetive multiplayer shooters. The last one I played a lot of was Modern Warfare 2, and I loved it, but that also burnt me out on the COD flavor of shooter, and multiplayer shoters in general. So I was just going to ignore titanfall. I still might, But when Sean mentioned on the cast that the last shooter he played much of was also MW2, I realized that yeah, it has been a while, and I could probably go for another. So I may give this a shot after all, but not on launch day. Dark Souls 2 is far more important.

Ol' Trusty won't let you down.

Ol' Trusty has a wonky scroll wheel that mis-registers the direction I'm trying to scroll about 30% of the time. He was a rescue (found him buried in the bottom of a drawer full of old HIDs at a previous job that was going to be tossed), but I think it might be time to take him out back and shoot him.

Best Buy currently has the Steelseries Sensei [RAW] on sale for $41, thinking about nabbing that.

While we're talking peripherals, can anyone recommend a good keyboard? I've been using a crappy Razer that's taken a couple of spillages, so it's time I got a new one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105448

This is basically a perfectly acceptable gaming mouse.

Also MW2 was 5 years ago. I say that not for your benefit, but mine. It's been a long time since Warfare was this modern.

oh man, I guess it was.

While we're talking peripherals, can anyone recommend a good keyboard? I've been using a crappy Razer that's taken a couple of spillages, so it's time I got a new one.

I recently got a new keyboard from wasdkeyboards.com, they do custom mechanical keyboards. Which is awesome if you like mechanical keyboards, though there are cheaper ones (like the Rosewill RK-9000, which I use at work. It's hard to find in stock though). I was replacing a Das Keyboard, which had also taken too many spills.

If you don't want to go mechanical, I got nothing.