In giantbomb's titanfall cover they said even the pc version is going to run on microsoft's servers, same as the xbone version.

Is EA in charge of the multiplayer-networking or is Respawn?

I'm certainly curious about Titanfall. I'm especially interested in the idea that the defacto scale of the match changes mid-game. I've enjoyed playing multiplayer Call of Duty for years, this may freshen it up a bit. I hope I get into the beta to find out because the idea of paying three times the amount I'm used to for a type of game that I may have lost my taste for, is a substantial hum tto overcome.

I don't remember that at all. I did put robocop in my playlist and by sheer luck it kicked on while i jumped in my titan and mowed down some dudes

I really wouldn't care much if I got into the beta, but this is probably the one chance I'll get to see how it runs on my PC before release. Minimum requirements are pretty low, but I want to see how shiny I can make it look (as well as read reviews, make an informed decision, etc.) before I decide if I want to buy it. If only demos still happened more often.

I got a beta key and will be downloading & installing this later tonight. I'll be playing on PC in case any folks want to squad up and murder things.

Lag issues are really killing me, the moments where it is smooth are lovely though.

Even though it was just AI, I did karate kick a bunch of robots, so I mean that almost makes up for the lag

I got into the beta and I'm excited because of two things. Firstly it's the first time I've gotten into a beta that I've applied for, and I'm gonna pretend it's because they know I built my own PC and it'll justify the frustration and cost of doing so. Secondly Titanfall looks awesome and I'm so happy it's coming out on PC. 

I'll be playing it a lot over the next few days if anyone is interested in teaming up, much like Architecture said. Just PM if anyone wants to play as I have no idea how Origin works and I have no intention of finding out. 

Ok after a few games of this I'm pretty sold on the idea of the game as a whole. Let's put it this way if the servers weren't down for the last hour I wouldn't be here writing this response. There's a few issues I have with it and I've read about the communities reactions and they're pretty similar to my own so hopefully Respawn will act on them before launch.

1. The matches are way too short. I've done relatively well in most of my games and I'm often one of the first players to get a Titan in the round, but after dying I can only call in another 2 or 3 max. It's really exciting getting the Titan and feels very rewarding, but the games are over way too fast, I'm talking like 5-7 minutes most of the time. And there's this weird pointless 1 minute thing at the end where you attempt to escape/foil an escape in a dropship and it just dissolves into utter mayhem. 

2. I feel like this game would be perfect for a Killzone style 3 round match that links itself together through a story and cutscenes and the likes. However, it's not in the beta and I feel like I might have seen something like that in a quick look doodad. 

3. The neck snap execution animation is bat shit insane. 

Other than that it's really, really fun and I hope to play more of it. It comes out not too long after my birthday so I might treat myself to it as long as they increase the match lengths. I also saw some pretty bizarre lag stuff happening, but that's to be expected.

...There's a few issues I have with it and I've read about the communities reactions and they're pretty similar to my own so hopefully Respawn will act on them before launch....

3. The neck snap execution animation is bat shit insane. 

I'd love to know what words you'd use to describe a neck snap execution that is more to your liking. :)

I wouldn't expect the matches to last very long--this is basically Call of Duty in the near future. It may be running on entirely different tech, but it's readily apparent how much DNA it shares with the Modern Warfare brand.

Though I find it funny when people say things like, "well, it looks like Call of Duty except that it has giant robots and jetpacks," as some sort of pejorative. To me, that's a positive.

Re: Evacuation, it's clearly trying to reinforce the war feel.  But you do get extra points for succeeding in that section.  If you manage to escape you get +200xp and usually a burn card.  I think the winners may get a bonus too if they manage to explode the ship before it takes off.  Found it interesting that the section becomes permadeath for both sides in that segment.  Games are indeed relatively short, but I didn't mind that much.  There is a lot of shared DNA with CoD, however the freedom of movement, especially in the vertical space definitely feels better.  Though that said the game did yell at me for "leaving the battle area" for climbing a tower that I could have totally gone higher up on.  That was silly.

The burn cards are a bit interesting, being one time use power ups or special weapons.  Rather than having perks on top of loadouts like in CoD.

I knew about the mechs and the jump-jets. I did not know about the smart-pistol. It reminds me of the katana from the Shadowrun FPS for some reason; an assassination weapon that can largely determines how you play the game. 

One thing that intrigues me a lot is that it's 6 v 6 game (max) but there's AIs fighting alongside you. It makes a lot of sense and could make the game a lot more fun for everyone, though everything will be in the (very tricky) execution.

We were once talking about doing this in an MMO I was working on. There was this notion that if everyone is a hero then really no one is, so why not add some NPC foot soldiers to make the players feel more powerful, have more targets, and have players not die quite as often. It also makes killing a player character all the more significant and rewarding. In theory...

I know that it's being developed by ex-devs of CoD, but I seem to remember CoD matches lasting at least 10 minutes. It's not a huge problem but sometimes it takes a while to get into the flow of a match and understand everything that's going on. I feel like I've found that I've been building up a rhythm in some matches only to have it come suddenly to a halt with the epilogue sequence turning into a crazy festival of shite. It's also really not helping with learning the maps and it's taking me a lot longer than it normally would in competitive games. 

Also re: neck snap animations it really is crazy turning someone's neck 180 degrees, I mean those animating fellas just took that idea and ran with it. I hope there's a burn card which allows to turn their heads 720 degrees and just tear the whole thing off. 

Best thing about the friendly bots is that sometimes they drop-pod right where I spawn so I'm not the only target and I can get away.

I could run around killing minions with my smart pistol all day; I don't give a fuuuuck.

One thing that intrigues me a lot is that it's 6 v 6 game (max) but there's AIs fighting alongside you. It makes a lot of sense and could make the game a lot more fun for everyone, though everything will be in the (very tricky) execution.

We were once talking about doing this in an MMO I was working on. There was this notion that if everyone is a hero then really no one is, so why not add some NPC foot soldiers to make the players feel more powerful, have more targets, and have players not die quite as often. It also makes killing a player character all the more significant and rewarding. In theory...

The grunts are pretty much just decoration, they don't really do much other than giving you a little extra xp for killing them.  However the Titans in AI mode actually do get kills and can act as either a partner or a guard.  Sometimes it is still better to control them, has a human pilot can obviously use certain abilities at a better time.  Really just depends on the situation.  I do wonder if they'll increase the grunts potency a little or put an option in for that.

Does anyone know the break-down of xp values? Does xp build you titan faster? How much xp do you get for killing enemy players, titans, bots?

Also, how do you know that the pilot of the titan you are braining has ejected? I seem to have a problem with noticing that when it happens.

It's not xp really, but killing grunts and getting some kills do shave some time off, there's a timer icon that pops up when it happens.  Grunts are 20, players are 50(might be 100 and 50 is assist, I can't remember), titans are 200xp.  

On titan ejection...if you're riding it usually they get out rather than eject, the titan bends over when it happens.  Other wise you just have to watch for the ejection.  If they have the nuclear explosion kit the titan will go all "I am become lens flare, destroyer of worlds" once they eject.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be cool if one of the modes was a symmetrical map with an increased amount of grunts that spawned at a regular pace; where each team has a point to defend whose shield could only be taken down by grunts?

Am I the only one who thinks it would be cool if one of the modes was a symmetrical map with an increased amount of grunts that spawned at a regular pace; where each team has a point to defend whose shield could only be taken down by grunts?

Sounds very Monday Night Combat, although players could damage the ball too, just bots helped a ton

Sounds very Monday Night Combat, although players could damage the ball too, just bots helped a ton

I like how the Monday Night Combats encourage players to pay attention to what their team is doing. One could argue that the hardpoint mode does this, but holding a point feels different than pushing a lane. Titanfall has the potential to get more people interested in the first-person shooter Lords Management format. It would be more interesting if I was losing ground while flanking the titans or waiting to call my titan for a solid push IMO.

So I might have two working PC beta keys and one working Xbox key, if someone would like to try them. No guarantees they'll work, but I keep getting emails from Respawn with replacement keys.

Also, if any of y'all want to try squadding up, my Origin handle is Zapruder.

So I might have two working PC beta keys and one working Xbox key, if someone would like to try them. No guarantees they'll work, but I keep getting emails from Respawn with replacement keys.

Also, if any of y'all want to try squadding up, my Origin handle is Zapruder.

I'd love a PC key if you can spare one! :)