http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF5Wazwb-zk

So the beta sign up closes tomorrow(!) and there's also a very promising preview just out by the Guardian.

Are no other Thumbs excited about this? I admit to having been left cold by many a big budget multi-man-shoot in recent years. But Titanfall seems to be at least hoping to push things a bit futher than the "respawn, run, die, repeat" doldrums of some modern competitive shooters.

I particularly like the apparent gameplay callbacks to stuff like Quake III Arena's verticality and Tribes' fluidity and speed. I'm also hopeful that Respawn's dogmatic focus on balance and prolonging each "life" means you should feel like you're achieving something every play.

I'm also really intrigued by this idea that there'll be plenty of AI soldiers running around on both teams, and that you can somehow "hack" them to make your only little squad that follows you around.

I'm also also a shameless mech fanboy, and Titanfall's robots look like a lot of fun to play in a similar way to HAWKEN's.

Everything about this game appeals to me immensely, but i'm getting kind of sick of giving EA money. We'll see how much i want to play it when it comes out.

Yeah, it's a real bummer that EA is publishing this. Particularly because I'd like to play it on PC, but there's an ice cube's chance in hell that I'm installing Origin, so I'm going to end up playing it on Xbone instead.

Is EA in charge of the multiplayer-networking or is Respawn?

I'm certainly curious about Titanfall. I'm especially interested in the idea that the defacto scale of the match changes mid-game. I've enjoyed playing multiplayer Call of Duty for years, this may freshen it up a bit. I hope I get into the beta to find out because the idea of paying three times the amount I'm used to for a type of game that I may have lost my taste for, is a substantial hum tto overcome.

This falls into my category of, 5 years ago I would have been ALL OVER this game. Titanfall and Day Z are my thing, I just do not have the time to sit down in front of a PC for hours each week any more.

I've heard that the "smart pistol" helps with this, making it more pick-up-and-play. Still, it's hard to find competitive multiplayer games for people who aren't in school or college.

I've definitely been interested and excited about this game, but the PC version being Origin-only, and not owning an Xbox One means I'm going to have to pass on it for now.  Hoping EA eventually comes to its senses and gives up on this Origin-exclusivity nonsense.

I was a huge fanboy for all the original Infinity Ward CoDs, and this looks like it taps into the same pleasure centre while also having fucking wallruns and mechs, so yeah I'll shamelessly give West/Zampella my money even if it means EA gets a little more plump in the process.

Edit: Their promise of no micro-transactions and the lack of pre-order bullshit goes a long way towards easing any moral misgivings I might have had.

I was quite sceptical when I first heard about the game, but since I saw some footage and read the article on Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/12/5403666/titanfall-beta-preview) I can see myself having a lot of fun with it. It really could be different in a way from other MP FPS, that I would get back into the genre (played some BF3 before walking away from multiplayer shooters).  

I don't get all the hate on Origin.  In my experience it runs faster than Steam and is generally a slimmer client.  That said I still have some problems with Titanfall.  I really don't like the additional AI soldiers that run around the battle, they don't appear to do anything and just stand around while being shot at.  I also am a little skeptical on the actual Titans, they just appear to be an occasional power up you get without many unique weapons and more limited movement.  Also the fact that they are robots that hold guns is lame, the gun should just be the arm of a robot, this is robot design 101.

Maybe I will check it out when the full scope is revealed when it launches, but I am a little cautious about it.

Also the fact that they are robots that hold guns is lame, the gun should just be the arm of a robot, this is robot design 101.

Pfft, there's plenty of reasons you'd want dextrous manipulators and easily interchangeable weapons on your highly impractical giant bipedal robot.

I am excited for this game, as I may start playing something non-sports on my XBone!

I was a little spooked by the Beta ToS line about how our brains were now optioned for surgical emplacement into Big Dog units but I figure that's just legalese

I really don't like the additional AI soldiers that run around the battle, they don't appear to do anything and just stand around while being shot at.

I'm imagining the AI soldiers to be a bit like Left 4 Dead's horde, but obviously not as numerous; they won't be your primary concern during combat, but they'll be dangerous if left unchecked, and they'll be fun to shoot at.

Also I mentioned in the opening post that, according to the Guardian preview I linked to, you'll be able to take control of some of these AI units and form your own personal squad of minions—which sounds like it could be fun to surprise other players with.

RPS has already highlighted some bad signs about the PC port in this interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/13/respawn-on-titanfalls-pc-version-modding-dlc/

Mainly by the lack of solid answers and usual PR run-around.

I'm guessing this game is going to be F2P by the end of the year.

Also Hawken is out there and is a good thing.

IS Hawken good? How did it turn out?

All i've heard about it, really, is that it's now coming to Steam. Apparently trying to build their own user base out in the wilds of the internet didn't work out.

I only played the beta a little bit and was really kind of bored by it.  It controlled a lot like unreal tournament but with giant robots.  That was a while ago though so perhaps it's improved?

Titanfall: Looks interesting, signed up for the beta and hopefully will get to check it out. No shooters have really grabbed in a long time though, so we'll see how this fares considering that.

IS Hawken good? How did it turn out?

All i've heard about it, really, is that it's now coming to Steam. Apparently trying to build their own user base out in the wilds of the internet didn't work out.

<derail>

I've been playing HAWKEN since early alpha, and it was great fun then. I think it's even better (beta?) now, what with all the polish and fine balancing they've put into the gameplay, weapons, and add-ons.

Not to derail the thread entirely, but HAWKEN plays very fast for a mech game. It looks like MechWarrior, but it plays more like I'd imagined a ground-based Gundam simulator would play, i.e. movement is light and precise, and gameplay is generally very fast. It's even-handed, too, with no one weapon or chassis appearing so overpowered that you can't beat it with skilful play.

And it really feels like a proper game as well, even though it's free to play. Nothing's hidden away, everything unlocks through steady, obvious progression, and everyone gets the same in-game currency and opportunities as everyone else. You can still unlock stuff faster if you want by using in-game credit - which, yes, you can get more of with real money if you absolutely must have something NOW - but you're only unlocking stuff at the level of experience you've earned through play.

You cannot unlock higher experience levels - and therefore better mech chassis and the more unusual weapons - with neither money nor in-game currency, nor can you buy experience boosters (that I've seen so far). Every player has to level up through sheer skill and time alone—which includes unlocking new chassis and weapons at your experience level as you play more.

</derail>

I liked HAWKEN a lot. I like the way the HUD's all intergrated into the mech chassis to make it look like I'm actually in a mech. I also like the clompy heaviness that made it feel like I was riding a mech. I felt like I was in a mech. Basically.

The combat was fun too. and felt fluid. Didn't get any glitching.

But it's also the first mech game I played, so I'm not really qualified to talk expertly about it. 

I've been really excited for Titanfall since it was announced. The GB coverage only has me more interested. The only question for me at the moment is whether it's time to buy an Xbox One. I originally said that I would buy one when Titanfall came out, but I dunno if I really want one anymore.

RPS has already highlighted some bad signs about the PC port in this interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/13/respawn-on-titanfalls-pc-version-modding-dlc/

Mainly by the lack of solid answers and usual PR run-around.

I'm guessing this game is going to be F2P by the end of the year.

Also Hawken is out there and is a good thing.

I didn't think anything in there was particularly troubling, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. Also, GB mentioned that they promised that they're not going to be doing microtransactions, just map packs. They specifically called out no paying for burn cards, which is nice.

...if you can—that would be superb.

It'd be excellent to get a Thumbs crew together!

I have a new computer so I definitely could, I'm just one of those people who like playing FPSs with a controller.

like playing FPSs with a controller.

No yeah I can totally see what you--

*shoots self*

Weirdly excited by this one, though I'm definitely going to hold off a few weeks after launch to let the hype die down before purchasing.

It seems like there's an amazing sense of possibility for player roles/choices in a match, but until people have been playing it with the public, there's really no telling.  There could be some horribly boring, rote manner of playing through a match that one user figures out and blogs about, then everyone high-level starts using, etc.  Until it's tested in the wild for a few weeks, there's no telling how dynamic it actually is.