Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Thumbs 145: Rich Uncle, Cool Uncle

Idle Thumbs 145:

507__header.jpg

Rich Uncle, Cool Uncle

Much like the ephemeral Flappy Bird, Idle Thumbs spent this week embroiled in a conspiracy which quickly came to an end. Unlike Flappy Bird, the Idle Thumbs conspiracy concluded with us receiving amazing paintings of ourselves, Bobby Kotick, and J. Allard. In the words of Flappy Bird creator Nick Breckon, "I can call this podcast a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it."

Things Discussed: Flappy Bird, Mechanical Bird, Renegade Bird, Maverick Bird, Athletic Bird, Flappy Fly Bird Flippy Floop, Threes, Jazzpunk, Far Cry 2

Finally, an episode on Far Cry 2! I've been waiting for years for you guys talking about it, geez.

I've been looking forward to this episode like i don't know what. This was worth staying up for. Gunna sleep listening to this. And the picture of Jazzpunk excites me coz that game is ballin' yo.

Finally, an episode on Far Cry 2! I've been waiting for years for you guys talking about it, geez.

I assume Jake's template for the individual podcast pages includes Far Cry 2 by default under "Games Discussed" and only gets deleted for the rare episodes it doesn't apply.

I assume Jake's template for the individual podcast pages includes Far Cry 2 by default under "Games Discussed" and only gets deleted for the rare episodes it doesn't apply.

It's just a checkbox in the CMS.

QuX1nY9.png

Where did Sean go?

He's just been busy! Family in town and stuff. Next week is Sean's return. Or a really awkward episode that's just me and Nick.

a really awkward episode that's just me and Nick.

I think that would be amazing.

He's just been busy! Family in town and stuff. Next week is Sean's return. Or a really awkward episode that's just me and Nick.

No we mean where did he go between the livestream and recording the podcast

Glad to see Jazzpunk on the "games discussed" list. It seems like the sort of thing that the Thumbs, especially Chris, will either love or be pretty lukewarm towards.

Currently listening thoughts:

I don't think you really have to be ashamed about talking about Flappy Bird because it is basically the biggest thing that happened this week. It is a very sad situation, especially because it looks like it leaked to the mainstream press.

Man, Nick seems very sure about what he would do in a stressful situation that he has never ever been in. I think I am with Jeff Vogel here in thinking that is bullshit.

I did not get onto Flappy Bird before it was deleted, but it looks like the biggest difference is that it's basically impossible to get the bird to go straight? Is that right? When you tap it immediately arcs up then starts falling until you tap again? If so, that's an actual substantial change to things like that helicopter game everyone played at some point because unlike those games it's not possible to put the flappy bird into a static position.

I basically think Terry Cavanaugh is the best because he played DROD and I think that if more people had played DROD the industry would be in a better place.

I am disappointed how few people seem to notice how closely the Jazzpunk Thunderbirds trailer parodies the Thunderbirds intro.

Yay! The Idle Thumbs retrospective at the beginning was great to listen to! Count me in as one of the old ones who carried over from the Adventure Gamers forum. Even during the Idle Thumbs closening I still stayed relatively active on the forums. Congrats, all you people, on the 10th Year Forum Anniversary!

This episode had the unintended effect of showing that the amount of time between the occurrence a major national disaster and Chris and Jake being willing to make a joke about said disaster publicly is, at most, 108,936 hours.

Good.

I'm very sure the creator of the game, Luis Hernandez, has stated somewhere that he didn't know of Thirty Flights of Loving, and had been working on it before that game came out. Looking for the article or tweet.

Also, no mention of the AMAZING Walking Dead art I sent them, which I guess was more of a gift for Jake and Sean.  :tdown:

Wow, the description of Jazzpunk being "a goofy car horn that makes a funny noise when you press a button" just totally hit me like a thunderbolt as to why that game isn't not clicking with me. Fuck that's good. 

And then the idea that a realistic world makes random physical humor much funnier than a constructed goofiness like Saints Row ... man. Why did I only start listening to this podcast a few weeks ago!

Did anyone happen to catch those three books the emailer recommended about cities? If not, I can relisten to the episode later but if anyone has them handy in a listen I'd really be interested.

Did anyone happen to catch those three books the emailer recommended about cities? If not, I can relisten to the episode later but if anyone has them handy in a listen I'd really be interested.

They weren't books, more of projects/theories proposed by architects, but he mentioned:

Ron Herron's Walking City (from a 1964 journal article)

87_2Lg.jpg

Arata Isozaki's City in the Sky

udi201021f7.jpg

and Kisho Kurokawa's Helix City

ccedda0b1335202040167.jpg

They weren't books, more of projects/theories proposed by architects, but he mentioned Ron Herron's Walking City (from a 1964 journal article), Arata Isozaki's City in the Sky (somewhat difficult to find information on), and Kisho Kurokawa's Helix City (probably the most fleshed-out). 

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding but thanks for the info!

I'm very sure the creator of the game, Luis Hernandez, has stated somewhere that he didn't know of Thirty Flights of Loving, and had been working on it before that game came out. Looking for the article or tweet.

That seems incredibly unlikely given that they're similar on their most notable axes - mechanically AND aesthetically - but stranger things have happened.