Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Dota Today 10: Dunkin' Bro-nuts

Ability Draft is my favorite mode. I played a Lina with Lycan's ult, liquid fire, and wd's stun against a Sandking with crit for days. Our team won, but it was a close battle the whole time with just madness on top of madness. Then I played a regular RD game where the other team had first pick PL and the rest of my team picked poorly (I counter picked DP). The whole game was no fun and we got stomped.

I hate Ability Draft. Even more than The Greeviling. And that's saying something.

I think it'd be really fun if it took half the time it did and maybe even everyone went mid with accelerated gold and XP gain. As it is it's just a mess where either you stomp or the enemy stomps because someone on one team gets an overwhelmingly powerful ability combination.

How long would you want it to be? All the games I've played have been around 20 minutes which seems fine for this. I also would definitely not like it being an all mid mode, the only all mid mode I like is same hero, I like the face that in this mode you still have to draft for a role.

All the game I've played have been around 40 minutes which seems absurd for this. I wish I had a 20 minute game. I don't know what magical world you're living in where this happens but tell me how to get there. All mid would make it way more tolerable no matter the length, though. (In part because all mid ensures it doesn't last as long.)

Well all the games I've played ended really fast because of what you said about one team getting someone with a really good draft of abilities. Also I don't like all mid because it means instead of having a match you have one 30 minute team fight. There's no ganking or split pushing or anything that isn't team fighting. In a drafting mode that just seems really boring to me.

I don't WANT this to be like a normal game of Dota, though. Because it's not. It is a gimmick that's been forced onto an existing game mode instead of a game mode crafted around a gimmick. The latter is what I want. Maybe all mid isn't the right choice (although it is a better choice than what exists now), but something needs to change, because right now, for me, it's a complete and utter waste of everything that makes the idea fun in the first place.

I'm not convinced that Sean has ever played Dota. He keeps referring to the heroes in a weird way.  :nuts:

Ability Draft seems like it should be a good laugh, but it totally isn't. There's always some guy who picks the most broken combination of skills and is like a 1000 range dragon form Mirana with blink and crit stun or something and it's just stupid. Meanwhile via sod's law your team is picking 4 passives each and doing nothing. 

Also why can't you team chat during the draft phase? It seems like some communication would be nice so your teammate doesn't steal the skill you wanted etc.

Embrace the chaos of Ability Draft. Revel in the anarchy. 

Don't care if you win or lose AD. Just have fun coming up with crazy skill combos. Like an enchantress with arrow and chemical rage. Or a Meepo with a mix of Juggernaut and Lifestealer's abilities. I agree though it's stupid teamchat is blocked off when it could easily appear on the side. One game I went for Luna's ult, and my own teammate picked lucent beam, making it useless. We still won though. I had mostly medusa's abilities so I was nearly unkillable for most of the game.

Winning or losing in AD doesn't matter. It's the torture of having to endure a full game when you get out-drafted with some super unbalanced combo. It'd be fine if the mode was shorter.

Awesome episode :D

Has there been a game where you can indicate your preferred role? Maybe LoL? Just treat it like language pref; the system will do its best and leave the rest up to you when it has matched you up.

Thread resurrection: League last weekend or two weekends ago ran a live beta of their Team Builder. I thought it was incredibly successful. I had a blast, people were talking, etc. The worst part was there were just connection issues all over. Definitely still a beta.

it seems like position finder may be a legit and realistic addition to the LoMa genre.

It works in League because the Meta is so very stable and hammered down there. Dota is far more fluid in both its meta and in the roles of individual champs. I've been playing Smite a bit as well, the roles there are very cleanly defined (mage, hunter, warrior, tank, ganker), but the meta is still in flux, at least at the level i play.

It works in League because the Meta is so very stable and hammered down there. Dota is far more fluid in both its meta and in the roles of individual champs. I've been playing Smite a bit as well, the roles there are very cleanly defined (mage, hunter, warrior, tank, ganker), but the meta is still in flux, at least at the level i play.

The meta changes constantly, sometimes at an extremely rapid pace, it's just that the changes aren't in how many people are in a lane.

As of today, Dota Today has been overtaken by Terminal 7 in number of episodes produced.

It's interesting that on their show, Nels and Jesse never seem to be lingering over things they don't like about the game (or the metagame).

As of today, Dota Today has been overtaken by Terminal 7 in number of episodes produced.

It's interesting that on their show, Nels and Jesse never seem to be lingering over things they don't like about the game (or the metagame).

That's because they've only talked about what they liked from each faction in every episode so far! Mostly