clyde

Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2014

Uhhh... so why did I just pay money if the videos are going to be public?

Obama.

According to 2PP, people who payed will "probably get some bonus vids". Doesn't sound very sure, but last year we got more than the documentation of the daily events, too.

The videos being behind closed doors last year was frustrating to me, at least, because I couldn't point other people to why AF is great. Now I can!

Also yeah, you get the actual prototypes if you pay, as well as the right to be in the voting pool!

Where are the videos posted!? I saw video 0 yesterday. Is there already a 1?

Not yet, but to answer your question!

edit: whoops, I was toooo late!

New episode is up. Monitor THIS, buddy.

Day 2 is up now too. 

This episode is super interesting. Best Buds is moving along pretty quickly and it was interesting to see Derek and Brad sort of diverge with the idea of mnemonic. Awesome stuff all around. 

I hope Derek finds his voice.  Big team brainstorms are extremely hard to manage, especially if you don't have a sense of direction or confidence.  And ironically I feel like the larger they are, less people are actively involved in the creative process.

I've completely flipped my expectations on the Pendelton Ward game.  It looks like they've set up a framework for something pretty amazing.  I wonder if they're planning on driving the dialogue with hidden simplified lines of dialogue, or just putting the full raw text in.  I feel like it'll work a lot better if the chat data is written simplistically, like the chat wheels in Mass Effect.

I hope Derek finds his voice.  Big team brainstorms are extremely hard to manage, especially if you don't have a sense of direction or confidence.  And ironically I feel like the larger they are, less people are actively involved in the creative process.

I've completely flipped my expectations on the Pendelton Ward game.  It looks like they've set up a framework for something pretty amazing.  I wonder if they're planning on driving the dialogue with hidden simplified lines of dialogue, or just putting the full raw text in.  I feel like it'll work a lot better if the chat data is written simplistically, like the chat wheels in Mass Effect.

You've pretty much nailed my feelings to a tee.

And with the big meetings things - totally. It's like a large group witnessing a disaster. The more people they are they less the individuals feel the need to help.

Wow, these are all really interesting and gripping, again! I wonder if any other studios are going to try to do a similar thing at some point.

I hope Derek doesn't crash and burn! It seems like he's got an idea for an adventure game but hadn't nailed any of the structure or puzzles down in his head before starting, which is fair enough due to the nature of AF but normally not how you'd make an adventure and has caused a massive bottleneck. I think the best thing for him to do would be to nail down "this is the way puzzles will work" then have everyone in the team do nothing else except brainstorm until they've got enough puzzles in a good order to then go and make as stylish a version of it as they can.

Wow, these are all really interesting and gripping, again! I wonder if any other studios are going to try to do a similar thing at some point.

I do very much hope so! I've been wanting the games industry to be more transparent for a long time now, so it's quite refreshing and awesome to see how Double Fine is doing it. I actually read an interesting article on gamasutra recently that related to the same thing.

Yep, I've been sucked into the daily wrap-up videos again. They're put together really, really well, and for me are a weird mix of feeling like I'm learning heaps about the creative process and managing a team of people, and nostalgia for the teams I've worked with and projects I've worked on.

I hope Derek doesn't crash and burn! It seems like he's got an idea for an adventure game but hadn't nailed any of the structure or puzzles down in his head before starting, which is fair enough due to the nature of AF but normally not how you'd make an adventure and has caused a massive bottleneck. I think the best thing for him to do would be to nail down "this is the way puzzles will work" then have everyone in the team do nothing else except brainstorm until they've got enough puzzles in a good order to then go and make as stylish a version of it as they can.

My heart is in my throat every time Derek comes up in the videos. I feel for the guy.

How long until Day 3 is published? I haven't been able to work out what hour they're posted at...

IT'S BEEN TOO LONG SINCE DAY 2

Yeah you don't want to slum it with the livestreams. Only the really distilled stuff will do.

My heart is in my throat every time Derek comes up in the videos. I feel for the guy.

Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding in the wrong spirit, but I've definitely been interested in seeing a prototype not pan out. That didn't happen last year and all the prototypes seemed pretty cool to me! But we don't get to witness failure very much even though that sort of thing (while it doesn't feel good at the time) is like super valuable.

Episode 3 is out.

I hope instead of witnessing failure we witness some growth. Tim Schafer said there are some real meltdowns that happen, but didn't happen during the 2012 fortnight. So maybe we'll get that?

Thank goodness Mnemonic was nailed down a little. It doesn't matter if it's only four linear puzzles. Black Lake was close to that last year. Every AF should have one experiential art house interactive project.

Thank goodness Mnemonic was nailed down a little. It doesn't matter if it's only four linear puzzles. Black Lake was close to that last year. Every AF should have one experiential art house interactive project.

I agree with that last sentiment. I wouldn't mind if Mnemonic is literally just going around and exploring a space. These puzzle mechanics sound slightly forced and trivial, imo.