clyde

Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2014

Now that I know What Could Go Wrong? is going to have a social dynamic aspect, I'm way more interested in it. I just hope it's not gorey.

headlander too weird?! compared to what a game where you play a horse?!

Even if you voted on all the pitches that made it through it seems like you have to vote on them all over again. Even the Pendleton Ward pitch has to be voted on again! I don't think this was made priorly clear at all. A case of bad communication, definitely...

headlander too weird?! compared to what a game where you play a horse?!

Yes?

After watching today's interviews with the finalists, I've changed up my votes:

What Could Go Wrong

Derelict

Steed

Little Pink Best Buds

Once The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. was mentioned on the pitch for Breach, I was sold, and I like What Could Go Wrong a lot more after hearing Dave Gardner flesh out his thinking on it.

what?! no headlander?!

I'm so bummed out by that. I want more Lee Petty games so badly.

My votes:

Dear Leader

What Could Go Wrong

Steed

Little Pink Best Buds

WCGW peaked my interest a bit more when I learned from the interview it would be a large cast adventure game with film style cuts between scenes. I like the concept of Dear Leader and think it could explore it more than similar games like Tropico which are too driven by the procedural simulation. My third pick was a little tougher since I warmed up a little on the other pitches, but I just feel like Steed is a style of game that plays to Double Fine's strengths.

Oh, and for those of you who love the concept for Project Xing, while it's not exactly the same I would recommend checking out Magicka and the upcoming Magicka: Wizard Wars. 

It figures that the ideas that have been done before and are popular but will just have "Double Fine" touch, but I can't complain since I voted for Eras of Adventure with isn't that original either. :|

Is it just me or does Extraterrarium sound really familiar? I feel like I've heard the description before and my first guess was that it was from a Thumbs episode. I'm not sure why but I feel like it was the episode where they talked about Miasmata. I'll check it out some time tomorrow but thought I'd ask here in the meantime. Does anyone else remember this?

I think they talked about a hypothetical game with a similar description. They had a guest on, don't remember who.. They extrapolated the concept for this dream game from some comic. So they basically designed Extraterrarium on the podcast, yes.

Is it just me or does Extraterrarium sound really familiar? I feel like I've heard the description before and my first guess was that it was from a Thumbs episode. I'm not sure why but I feel like it was the episode where they talked about Miasmata. I'll check it out some time tomorrow but thought I'd ask here in the meantime. Does anyone else remember this?

If it wasn't on Idle Thumbs, then it was on the Gamers With Jobs Podcast. I remember it too. Maybe the idea is just so good that it is poking through the ether in many places.

I'm so bummed out by that. I want more Lee Petty games so badly.

'xactly.

I think they talked about a hypothetical game with a similar description. They had a guest on, don't remember who.. They extrapolated the concept for this dream game from some comic. So they basically designed Extraterrarium on the podcast, yes.

Some of friend of mine said: "Zerg Kirby in Space". The concept is still awesome though.

If it wasn't on Idle Thumbs, then it was on the Gamers With Jobs Podcast. I remember it too. Maybe the idea is just so good that it is poking through the ether in many places.

I checked the Miasmata casts and as far as I can tell it wasn't one of them. I don't listen to GWJ so it was either Idle Thumbs or some bizarre coincidence. This is gonna drive me crazy.

The one I'm thinking of is Episode #91: The Clapper. Special Guest Shawn Elliott, after discussing a Rob Liefeld comic starts a conversation about what they'd actually want from an "on an alien planet" game. I think!

Yeah, that episode was with Shawn Elliott, definitely! Waking Mars was briefly discussed as well.

Maybe they'll make Headlander anyway? That trailer is one of the best things I've seen this year. I would surely have voted for it had I not missed the beginning of this fortnight.

Tim said they've pitched it to publishers before (who thought it was "too quirky"), so it sounds like something that's been on the drawing board for some time now. So they'll probably bring it up again at some point?

I can't blame them, I thought it was too quirky as well. At some level though, I trust DF to make something interesting out of all of these pitches.

Wasn't there a game called Evolution that had you absorbing traits from enemies you conquered?

I'm fine with no Headlander if it means we're more likely to see the 25th anniversary edition of Pettyland come to fruition.