clyde

Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2014

Am I the only person who doesn't care to vote? Even last time I mainly signed up to watch the documentaries because I like to see the process of the games being made (and the drama of DF's various people frictioning up against each other*).

Part of me doesn't care which games get made. Another part doesn't want to watch the pitches in case I see something awesome and it's not selected.

Cool, that means you don't mind voting for Project Xing just for me!

EDIT: Yeah, even though I didn't vote for Dear Leader, I would be super happy to see it made so that there's a female project lead.

Am I the only person who doesn't care to vote? Even last time I mainly signed up to watch the documentaries because I like to see the process of the games being made (and the drama of DF's various people frictioning up against each other*).

Part of me doesn't care which games get made. Another part doesn't want to watch the pitches in case I see something awesome and it's not selected.

* Or is that just in my slash fanfiction?

I'm feeling in about the same boat right now, but I plan on taking another listen to the pitches and at least picking something.

Edit: I've narrowed it down to four, none of which I think has even been mentioned on the thread so far. I guess I just like a different kind of game.

Ether

Fathomless

Scavenger

Derelict

Edit2: I guess Derelict has gotten a mention or two.

* Or is that just in my slash fanfiction?

Maybe? I don't think community voting has any impact on what gets turned into fully fleshed out games, but it does affect what prototypes you'll be able to play. Obviously if you don't care about checking out prototypes than it is true that voting isn't going to be so interesting. And I agree with you that watching the critiques is the best part of the whole experience.

Parabolic: an interesting concept, but I don't see how you can construct a whole game around it. It feels like a pixel hunting adventure game. For a 2 week game jam this gameplay element seems to be too thin.

Reentry: sounded awesome until the point of games being short, which I guess it a bunch of minutes? So it will be like a physics puzzle. They bore me pretty quick.

Fathomless: yes... exploration. Oh.. it will be a shock game.

Cat in a Box: lost me on "fast pased platformed". The whole dimension jumping boxes sounded interesting, but this will just come down to a platform game where in the end you jump into a box to get to the next world.

Mnemonic: I want this one to be made, but I only have 3 choices.

ether: sounds like Flower / Journey. I wouldn't be disappointed if this one got made instead of my top 3.

Gone Astray: I don't see how this is going to work. For the cat the outside might new, but for me, the player, it's all known stuff.

Derelict: this sounds like an exploration game I would enjoy. And if it was made I might even consider buying a rift.

Dear Leader: I'm sure I'll love the art style.

Buried Metropolis: I did not vote for this, because it would work best as a mobile game, and the 5 minute roguelikelike gameplay. But it does have some great ideas to explore.

So... I voted for these:

Headlander: overall the best pitch, it has interesting gameplay mechanics, and an interesting world.

Eras of Adventure: probably won't have a great end result for this jam, but I would play a game like this (unless it's like Evoland)

Timagotchi: it's a great candidate as F2P with tones of DLC

It hadn't occurred to me to vote for the ones that make the best prototypes. That's some pragmatic thinking.

Anyone who doesn't care about their votes vote for the adventure games pleeeease.

Parabolic: an interesting concept, but I don't see how you can construct a whole game around it. It feels like a pixel hunting adventure game. For a 2 week game jam this gameplay element seems to be too thin.

Reentry: sounded awesome until the point of games being short, which I guess it a bunch of minutes? So it will be like a physics puzzle. They bore me pretty quick.

Fathomless: yes... exploration. Oh.. it will be a shock game.

My feelings on Fathomless are about the same as yours, So I trimmed down to Ether, Scavenger, Derelict. I get the feeling that a lot of people watched every single video, I was a bit lax and just wrote down the 6 or so games I liked the one sentence pitch on, then only watched those. No matter what wins, I'm looking forward to the videos more than the prototypes.

I can't even play the prototypes since I'm on a Mac (at least it was PC only last year) so I'm just in it for the video documentary. They are the best.

I haven't watched all of the pitches yet, BUT HOLY SHIT AM I EXCITED! I'm so happy there is another fortnight!!!

It could work as a story-based experience, I think. It reminds me a lot of The Conversation which is one of my favorite movies. I could see it working well with the tone of a 70s paranoid thriller, possibly (spoilers for The Conversation) 

with a similar twist toward the end where your reading of the situation turns out to be wrong with disastrous results.

I wanted to follow the "Always Bet on Petty" principle, but Headlander doesn't seem that neat. I won't be sorry if it gets made though.

Unless it gets made instead of Project Xing. Seriously: Smash Bros! Elemental combat! Woodcut art style!

Unless it gets made instead of Project Xing. Seriously: Smash Bros! Elemental combat! Woodcut art style!

I'm with you on this one. That concept sounds fucking great. I love the idea. Please to be making, Double Fine. Thank you.

I voted for that and Steed (because HORSE) and Mega Rad Karate Troopers because an XCOM style Power Rangers game sounds rad to me. I don't really expect the last one to win, but nothing else really appealed to me this time around. U: Maybe the gnome thing, but not as much. I wish I could just throw two more votes out anyway, just in case. Gnomes and Ghost Dog (just because he cites Earthbound as an inspiration (although who DOESN'T these days)).

Oh and I didn't really like any of the Pendleton prototype ideas. ): I ended up going with Little Pink Best Buds because it has the most potential to make me like it, but also as someone else here mentioned it also seems the least likely to shine as a prototype. Who knows.

I'm with you on this one. That concept sounds fucking great. I love the idea. Please to be making, Double Fine. Thank you.

Lc8.gif

Thanks, but I didn't make that. This person did http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100005614&postcount=115

That person is awesome. You're awesome for making me aware of this gif.

Awesome.

Anyway, this was suuuperhard to vote for. In a perfect world, every game on there would be made and everyone is happy. Sadly, that's not the case so I voted for:

- Dear Leader

- Mnemonic

Reentry

And for the Pendleton pitches: Little Pink Best Buds

I watched the pitch videos with my kids and gave them each a pick. One thing I love is seeing their reactions to the games through the lenses of their own gaming experiences, which is increasingly unique to them and separate from my own.

Anyway, our picks were:

- Dear Leader (Me. I'm a sucker for Soviet Russia aesthetics)

- Jet Girl & Ghost Dog (My 13 year old son. He literally said "Why does this remind me of Earthbound?" seconds before Earthbound was mentioned as an inspiration.)

- Dum Sim (My 9 year old daughter. Her comments were "It's made by a girl!" and "I sounds like Diner Dash and The Sims!")

Our consensus pick for the Pendleton pitches was Little Pink Best Buds, which I was outvoted on (I liked Cupid, You Fat Little Scamp).

Other cool / funny comments from them while we were watching:

- "Wooo, it's a mystery!" - Mnemonic

- "This feels like Slender." - Fathomless

- (In unison) "Too scary." - What Could Go Wrong

- "Are they ripping off Minecraft?" - My son, anytime a pitch mentioned crafting

- "Wooo, CATS!" - Cat in a Box

- "BAD GOLF 2! BAD GOLF 2!"

There were way too many good ideas. It was incredibly hard to pick 3.

I chose: Breach, Mega Rad Karate Troopers, Eras of Adventure

Things I wanted to choose:  Project Xing, Reentry, What Could Go Wrong

There were a couple others that sounded really good, but the gameplay ideas seemed a bit too vague so I decided not to vote for them.

Amnesia Fortnight is probably my favorite industry event; so I'm super stocked.

My top three are:

• Headlander: the idea is super potent and all I've seen from Petty makes me want to see him helm a full game.
  • Extraterrarium: because it could be one of the few instances of procedurally driven puzzle game.
  • Steed: because I like cool ideas being turned on their head.

For the Pen Ward protos, I'm not super impressed but I'll probably pick Dammit Jerry because it's not as crazily specific and impossible to make as the others. The cycle of human/zombie state for No More McDonalds is quite cool though.

I've also offered two bundles to some friends so I could buy their vote off - basically giving a strong nod to:

• Cat in a Box: I can see being a legit interesting game beyond the cat trope.
  • Ether; might have been in my top 3 if it The White Birch hadn't be so disappointing and if i wasn't afraid they'd try to make Journey 2.
  • Parabolic: love the original idea and I can't tell what game it's going to be which is exciting.
  • Breach: because an avatar based, coop version of that loop is super promising.
  • White Witch's Gnome War: because Black Lake was lovely

I'm on the fence for Bad Golf 2, Jet Girl & Ghost Dog and Project Xin.

Overall the vast majority of the pitches were interesting, but i've realized that the creator mentioning "it's this game meet this game" is a huge turn off for me (even more so when the game is Gone Home and they seemed to show a bad understanding of what made it special ("Gone Home + space horror", " Gone Home + Women in Fridge trope!")). Also, I'm really not into roguelike/procedurally generated game right now. Sorry JP :/

How do I even vote? If I go to the page logged in it seems to think I haven't contributed yet, despite already redeeming my stuff. If I go to my account, there are no links allowing me to vote.

I hate this website's design. Wish they'd use some of that donation cash to make it more usuable.

EDIT: Gah, fixed it, I can apparently only vote by clicking a link in my e-mail, not by logging in.

Bad Golf 2 isn't going to be voted on because their video sucks. I liked the concept of the first Bad Golf though. I still want this game.