clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

Please do! I'd be super interested in reading it.

Seconded! Good luck at your booth. MILE-AGE is a great game, and deserves serious sales. 

Boothing is real fun but really really exhausting. I had a booth in the first Pax Aus Indie Showcase, had 3 PCs running InFlux and it was packed the whole time, rewarding but scary. Good luck!

You may find this article incredibly useful, I did. Basically a bunch of tips on your first time boothing, all of them are great and my booth would have sucked a lot more if I hadn't found it. 

That bird flocking stuff linked above got me thinkin' I'd try to do something similar myself in blueprint, here's how far i got

Looks cool!

If you want it to look really like bird flocks instead of fish schools, you also need fixed-wing aerodynamics plus gravity at the least - my PhD supervisors published on this:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0022479

Oh man, the user experience of installing and opening Game Maker is dire. Does anyone know how I might change the theme of the UI at least?

https://indiegamegarage.com/

"Want to get in? Share gameplay footage of your indie game in the making for your chance to become a member of the Taco Bell Indie Game Garage. All winners will receive $500 in Taco Bell gift cards and have access to a private forum of gaming industry experts where you can gain valuable advice on bringing your game to life."

their 'industry experts' appear to all be media and streamers which seems really goofy, but ~300 doritos tacos is nothing to sneeze at.

here's a sneak peak of a future Taco Bell Indie Game Garage winner I'm working on

I love the purple green chromatic aberration effect.

Thanks all! The last game I was working on was a pretty slow paced idle game that I think might have been fundamentally a bad idea and also it was just hard to capture in a gif so I wanted to work on something that'd sell itself better. Glad to see this is grabbing people! I actually wasn't planning on showing anything so early but after I implemented the 3D hud stuff it felt like it was coming together really well. The video glitch effects are pretty much straight outta here https://github.com/keijiro/KinoGlitch (I linked to all his stuff a page or two ago I think) with a little script to bump the values up when you take damage.

No title yet but I've got a lot of Stuff planned. So far most of the time I've spent so far has been fiddling with the planet shaders and figuring out the best way of texturing the planets. I finally figured out to texture paint in Blender, but it's still leaving some really bad seams.

You don't, but someone linked it to me on twitter and it looks sick so there probably will be some now

Nice, I remember all 3 were pretty fun. Pretty cool to just have a vehicle battling game in the back pocket to tinker with from time to time. That and your avatar reminds me I should really get a basic prototype up and running for my top-down Interstate 76 idea...

Also Dino, thanks for sharing those effects!! Keijiro's got so much incredible stuff but these in particular are getting downloaded and bookmarked. Now every game can be a Kane & Lynch game!

I decided a while ago to turn my Flappy Jam game, that you guys inspired me to work on, into a "full game". It still has game-jam-esque "retro" graphics, but I came up with 50 distinct levels instead of just generated differences as you advance. I released it on the Windows Store, mainly because I have a Windows Phone and no Mac with which to compile iStuff. Anyway, if you have a Windows 8.1 or later PC, you can also play it. I really hope people stay engaged enough to reach the end since I very well might have put more effort into the final series of levels than I should have. Anyway, if you can, give it a try. It's free and has ads only very rarely and they are very small.

Thanks for the inspiration, and I can't wait to go back to my other project (or start something new).

Oh, and that Taco Bell space game looks rad, Dinosaursssss!

I decided a while ago to turn my Flappy Jam game, that you guys inspired me to work on, into a "full game". It still has game-jam-esque "retro" graphics, but I came up with 50 distinct levels instead of just generated differences as you advance. I released it on the Windows Store, mainly because I have a Windows Phone and no Mac with which to compile iStuff. Anyway, if you have a Windows 8.1 or later PC, you can also play it. I really hope people stay engaged enough to reach the end since I very well might have put more effort into the final series of levels than I should have. Anyway, if you can, give it a try. It's free and has ads only very rarely and they are very small.

Thanks for the inspiration, and I can't wait to go back to my other project (or start something new).

Oh, and that Taco Bell space game looks rad, Dinosaursssss!

That's awesome, congrats! I just played a bit on my Surface and it looks great. Seems simple at first, but the twists on the mechanic are fun surprises. One thing though, I got an ad popup, and it didn't seem to work; it just showed a banner that said "Microsoft Advertisements." Playing on a Surface Pro 1, Windows 8.1. Get paid!!

That's awesome, congrats! I just played a bit on my Surface and it looks great. Seems simple at first, but the twists on the mechanic are fun surprises. One thing though, I got an ad popup, and it didn't seem to work; it just showed a banner that said "Microsoft Advertisements." Playing on a Surface Pro 1, Windows 8.1. Get paid!!

Yeah, you have no idea how much trouble I've had with these Microsoft ads. Believe it or not, that is not the test ad. I am wondering if nobody is buying ads through their service or what. On the phone I have gotten a real ad once or twice and the rest of the time it blips out, which the FAQ says normally means there are no ads available. It is too hard to tell for sure, though, and I don't know if I have a problem. Everything in their store takes forever to populate, so I am not sure there is a problem yet. I have decided to see how they look in a couple of days and then ??? I don't really know what the problem could be. 

Glad it's working well on a Surface! I had no way to test that scenario. Thanks for playing!