clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

I submitted my monster truck game to the Boston Festival of Indie Games today, which meant having to record a ~5 minute gameplay video with me talking over it. After a couple hours and nearly 40 takes, I ended up using this

I didn't do a great job; I was talking and playing, when really I should have recorded video and audio separately so I could plan my talking points a little better. Also I had to record it from the Unity Editor with OBS and the resolution came out kinda bad. BFIG isn't the most professional show so I'm not too worried about that stuff; I was actually a curator last year and saw the quality of stuff that made it in, so I feel pretty good about the state of my submission. Plus, reckless amateurism is part of my brand identity, I think.

After the success of the dev log threads for wiz jam, I'll probably start a dev log thread in here soon (unless anyone thinks we shouldn't do that format in the game dev forum? It might get a bit cluttered in here) and maybe see if some other readers wanna help playtest.

After the success of the dev log threads for wiz jam, I'll probably start a dev log thread in here soon

DO IT!

Eh I made a tigsource thread, it feels silly to copy paste stuff from that back here.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48031.0

I think too much about this stuff. I like getting updated on what the folks on here are making, but I don't want to bury threads with constant updates. The thing is, I just won't ever check that TIGsource page unless I see it linked here. Maybe the solution is to put dev-logs elsewhere and just link them here when something interesting happens? I don't know. I do know that I'm more interested in what a thumb is working on than what a rando is making. Really, I guess this is what I use Twitter for.

Playing around with SCULPTING! It's fun! Don't know if I'll do anything with this, but hopefully I can cobble together a Myst-like with a statue of something looming over that arch or something, I don't know!

CFPYBbKUMAEQfrC.png

Playing around with SCULPTING! It's fun! Don't know if I'll do anything with this, but hopefully I can cobble together a Myst-like with a statue of something looming over that arch or something, I don't know!

CFPYBbKUMAEQfrC.png

Are you using Blender or something else?

I can PS4 now 

17572816358_ded67b1734_o.jpg

Oh shit, Spacething is Sony Timed-Console-Exclusive!!!!11

Yep! It's just what my job has so I use it. I think Modo is probably the cheapest option, and it looks really good!

Cheapest ACTUAL GOOD option!! :( :(

Blender is fine, if you can get past the horrendous UI

EDIT: Especially considering the price, Cinema4D is quite rubbish for game asset stuff. Baking and UV mapping is seriously lacking in features and is unnecessarily complicated to use. Even Blender is better at it.

At lunch today I was talking about how bad my current UI is and some friends recommended me a couple resources that seem really handy. Both are just a ton of screenshots of mobile games; gamegrafix gives a kinda nice overview of how the entire game looks, gamesinspiration actually tags each screenshot so you can filter and just look at a billion different Settings Menus or Pause Screens or whatever you need. They're mobile focused but I think grafix has a little bit of console stuff on there too.

http://www.gamegrafix.com/

http://gamesinspiration.com/

edit: Actually here's another that was recommended to me that's console focused!

http://gameui.tumblr.com/

Blender is fine, if you can get past the horrendous UI

What, you don't like that left click defaults to placing the '3D Cursor' on a 2D plane that is a screen and is supposed to dictate where you'll spawn geommetry into a 3 dimensional space?

I have barely used Blender, it looks surprisingly good for being free and I'm a poor ass man so I expect if I do want to get back into 3D stuff I'll just power through the mess of interface it is.

It is really versatile and good at a lot of stuff, even sculpting, if you get used to it! You can't beat that price!

Yeah the sculpting actually does look super good in it. It's a shame I liked messing around with more geommetric stuff in my modelling but if I was getting into 3D again I'd wanna play around with both.

Basically I need to somehow become unemployed in a totally financially secure way at some point in the future so I can learn a bunch more stuff and have time to actually make things.

...says man in his twenties with no children or debt.