clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

Try aseprite. It's specifically for pixel art, and it has layering and animation tools. The current version's not free, but I think the older versions are.

Does anyone know of any good tools or guides for doing pixel art? I know it's over used in games but it's probably the only way I'll be able to do art for my game

I just use gimp, but I'm pretty sure that's not the most efficient option if you aren't already used to it. =)

Here is a big list of resources and links I've benefited from in the past (not sure if all the links are still current though): http://wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0

Yesterday I decided that I really wanted to play Gimme Friction Baby, a flash game that I was in love with about a decade ago, on my phone. So I made it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funghost.fictionbaby

I feel a little weird about this; I wanted to make as direct a port as possible, because I think the original is about as close to perfection as a mid 2000s flash game can get but I feel like I've ripped off the creator. I tried to get in touch with them, but couldn't find any info aside from their name (which is apparently fairly common in the Netherlands) and the site that's linked from the game (Gimme5Games) is dead. I'm not making any money off it, and neither are they, so it's probably not worth worrying about at this point? I donno. I just wanted to have this game with me at all times.

I second the recommendation for GIMP. A little funky to set up for pixel art but no more complicated than, say Photoshop. (also Paint can work fine for this too, it's just a matter of getting your zoom, grid, and brushes set up)

GraphicsGale is the superiorest pixel art program. I've used it for years. Gimp is... incredibly unwieldy for pixel art. Photoshop, too.

Yesterday I decided that I really wanted to play Gimme Friction Baby, a flash game that I was in love with about a decade ago, on my phone. So I made it.

Ha! Excellent choice.

I don't have any good insights into the interestingness of the unsolicited volunteer port situation ^_^ but I look forward to putting this on my tablet tonight.

Ha! Excellent choice.

I don't have any good insights into the interestingness of the unsolicited volunteer port situation ^_^ but I look forward to putting this on my tablet tonight.

I actually haven't tested it at all on tablets, so let me know if there's any weird behavior and please send me a screenshot! I built it with 16x9 portrait in mind, but the play field *should* expand to accomodate 4:3 or other wider resolutions.

edit: In fact I just checked with a friend (whose phone is 16:10 I think?) and some of the barriers are placed off screen. Whoops! I'll probably patch tomorrow.

A while ago I made my 7DFPS entry First Person Soar, a bird flight simulator. In addition to thinking this myself, some commenters suggested it would be a cool VR experience. I had been given a Google cardboard at GDC, and integrating that took about 10 minutes (moving to Unity 5 and compiling to Android were the bigger challenges). Then I figured I would be able to use my MOGA Pro controller with the game. No dice. Requires a custom SDK. I download and try to integrate their example with my code, but it doesn't work. I'm just giving up on that. I'm able to plug in my 360 pad and it works perfect, except for it's wired nature. Well, at least i got to play my own game in VR.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funghost.fictionbaby

I feel a little weird about this; I wanted to make as direct a port as possible, because I think the original is about as close to perfection as a mid 2000s flash game can get but I feel like I've ripped off the creator. I tried to get in touch with them, but couldn't find any info aside from their name (which is apparently fairly common in the Netherlands) and the site that's linked from the game (Gimme5Games) is dead. I'm not making any money off it, and neither are they, so it's probably not worth worrying about at this point? I donno. I just wanted to have this game with me at all times.

Weird, I actually started a game for the Flash game competition "Gimme Friction Baby" was made for. It was called Rigby, and I didn't finish it for the competition deadline. But I did end up finishing it and entering it into the now defunct Mochi Media game competition and won 1st prize!!

Weird, I actually started a game for the Flash game competition "Gimme Friction Baby" was made for. It was called Rigby, and I didn't finish it for the competition deadline. But I did end up finishing it and entering it into the now defunct Mochi Media game competition and won 1st prize!!

http://www.gamekb.com/playgame/rigby

this is fun, but the highlight is that really nice studio logo animation thing up front (which I assume you did yourself)

Yeah! In earlier builds I had you start with a gun, but I think the strength of the game is in the dodging and trying to get cars to hit obstacles/each other so I put the focus more on that. You can buy weapons and car upgrades as you go, which you need as bosses start showing up and enemies get stronger. It's starting to feel pretty good I think!

On a sorta related note yesterday I read this post on Gamasutra about complexity and depth in Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga that was pretty neat. A lot of it isn't really directly useful to me for this game, but I found it very interesting regardless. It talks about how the complexity of each game (represented by the number of weapons and enemies) affects the players ability to create interesting strategies for dealing with encounters, and how the reduced complexity of Ikaruga actually gives players more possible solutions to problems, increasing its depth. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LukeMcMillan/20150312/238506/The_RLD_Handbook_Sometimes_its_not_about_the_metrics__Depth__Complexity.php

Starting trying out some new things with my particles last night. Shadows! Had to set the material to the Standard Shader to get the shadows, which disabled any opacity control in the particle system (I'm using Particle Playground now, it was on offer yesterday, and the interface is soooo much nicer than Shurikens)

xjLUiTe.gif

Maybe I need to try creating a simpler shader to allow for the particle system to have more control, and using the Standard Shader for particles is maybe not an optimal solution? I don't know. But I like the look!

The cast this week reminded me that I don't think I ever actually mentioned the Wizard Jam in this subforum, mostly 'cause my goal was to get folks who aren't already game developers involved. So uh in case you haven't been checking Idle Banter, don't hang out in IRC and haven't listened to Thumbs yet this week, we're doing an idle forums game jam over here --> https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9962-wizard-jam-idle-thumbs-game-jam-interest-gauge-chit-chat-corner

Starting tomorrow and running for about 2 weeks. Should be a good time, come make somethin!

Maybe I need to try creating a simpler shader to allow for the particle system to have more control, and using the Standard Shader for particles is maybe not an optimal solution? I don't know. But I like the look!

It looks great! It's got a nice middleground between realistic and cartoony. 

I've spent the past semester in a game development class, and my group made a puzzle game I'm pretty happy with.

I think I'm gonna spend some more time fleshing it out,  I got some great feedback from the people I had playtest it.

OnKQDIF.png

It's a simple get from start to finish game, but each side of the cube has a different face, which can interact with different ground elements. 

For example, if you put a normal face on the ground, your cube will burn up and you have to start the level over, but if you put your ice face on the fire, then you continue on. We only have a few interactions, and about 20 levels that I"m not entirely satisfied with, but I think we're headed in a cool direction.

Edit: i think I might be really dumb, but can you upload images to this forum? Or can you only link to web images?

I'm programming a side-scrolling platformer and having a blast with it. I made the basic character-controller with this tutorial and just added a wall-jump by adding in a wallCheck variable modeled after the groundCheck variable in the tutorial. I also made it so that the camera moves in steps whenever you reach the side of a screen. I did not expect to get as much enjoyment out of making this style of game. There is something really enjoyable about seeing what goes into a format that is so deeply embedded in my experiences with computer-games. 

Sergio is working on a game that I found inspirational. I'm trying to make a 2D side-scrolling platformer just so I can play around with some concepts.

It's not really anything yet, I'm not sure it will be, but I'm having a good time playing with it.

EvfnIYv.png

Playable (not on Chrome)