clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

I think it is sending a message to the speaker 48000 times a second, telling it how much to move it (between 1 and -1 multiplied by all the volume values of the pc and the 3d sound and stuff that unity and windows is doing automatically) I don't really know though. But the documentation says that the values have to be between 1 and -1 to avoid distortion and it seems that stereo channels share the array, one speaker getting even indexes and the other getting odd.

Additionally:

I never imagined that I would be reading about why sine-wavelengths are measured in pi, or how interesting that subject is.

Yeah I figured it was something in a big ol opaque box.

I mean the units of radians is pi, so I thought it was intuitive that sine cycles based on some multiple of pi if it's a function related to the angle in a unit circle. I need to brush up on some basic trig haha

It can't be said enough: almost anything that's technically interesting boils down to math. I am shit at it and never enjoyed my match classes/courses but I can still appreciate this fact and it's helped me well along the years.

I think it is sending a message to the speaker 48000 times a second, telling it how much to move it (between 1 and -1 multiplied by all the volume values of the pc and the 3d sound and stuff that unity and windows is doing automatically) I don't really know though. But the documentation says that the values have to be between 1 and -1 to avoid distortion and it seems that stereo channels share the array, one speaker getting even indexes and the other getting odd.

Additionally:

I never imagined that I would be reading about why sine-wavelengths are measured in pi, or how interesting that subject is.

You might already have considered this option, but Pure Data lets you to create a sine wave in about fifteen seconds. I haven't tried it and it might be difficult, but the people who made FRACT OSC managed to integrate it with Unity: http://fractgame.com/news/127-fract-audio-tech-connecting-to-pure-data

You might already have considered this option, but Pure Data lets you to create a sine wave in about fifteen seconds. I haven't tried it and it might be difficult, but the people who made FRACT OSC managed to integrate it with Unity: http://fractgame.com/news/127-fract-audio-tech-connecting-to-pure-data

Thanks. Got to the point where I could make a single tone, but when I needed to make multiple to tones simultaneously, I realized that this was going to be an uphill battle the entire way so now I'm just using a .wav of a sine. I'm still going to look at the link you posted though, I might end up experimenting with it more eventually.

Not quite sure where this is going. It's kinda neat though.
I think the performance will be pretty bad with more text, currently every text mesh in the scene gets split into an individual mesh for every letter at start, and all of them are checking their distance from the player every update. I probably need to dynamically switch the individual letter and full sentence meshes out or something.

Bn8v6QX.gif41Cdvqz.gif

Here's a floppy sword:

TastySpiffyApe.gif

There are so many things I want to say about this game's story. It writes itself.

Classic jiggleboner :tup:

i laughed

way too much

thanks for the morning giggle osmosisch

:eyebrow:

I just put an asset in my game that is not temporary. After working on it for a few weeks, this feels like the beginning of a new phase. It's relieving to commit to something on the screen; I can now say things like "Maybe for the next game" instead of having to reinvent the process all over again constantly. No regrets though. In the past week, I've realized that the visual style of my games will largely be a reflection of my particular workflow; so refining my workflow is refining my art-style. 

I have this romantic/naïve idea of making a small rural village in it's entirety by myself and have a game set in it. Last I checked I think the building-count were over 100, which seems like a lot for one person.

Edit: I'm investigating tools and techniques, let me know if you have any ideas!

Edit2: Art-style is still undecided, but it needs to be feasible.

Edit3: Considering UE4 over Unity, but still undecided.

city_test.png

I'm not sure how much of the assets you want to design yourself, but I've seen multiple city-kits in the Unity asset store that give you building pieces that you can mix and match. You might even be able to use the models in UE4.

Here is one of them:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18618

Just a warning: UE4 happens to only accept meshes in the .fbx format, so while the set you linked would work; not everything you find on the asset store will. 

Edit: They may have added support for .obj by now but I'm not certain about whether that actually exists/works in the current version.

I'm definitely going to make my own assets, still it was worth a look. I am inspired to base it on the real village that was featured in the movie El espíritu de la colmena. I'm not sure, I know it's obviously derivative, but then all media is highly derivative.

I have this romantic/naïve idea of making a small rural village in it's entirety by myself and have a game set in it. Last I checked I think the building-count were over 100, which seems like a lot for one person.

Edit: I'm investigating tools and techniques, let me know if you have any ideas!

Edit2: Art-style is still undecided, but it needs to be feasible.

Edit3: Considering UE4 over Unity, but still undecided.

I can personally recommend Unreal Engine 4. I've been using it for roughly 2 months and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I came from Unity Free, and was allured by the visual scripting tool and the node based material editor, and so far it's been great. The only thing I miss from Unity is the Asset Store, and the huge online community. 

I'm not saying that it's "better" than Unity by the way, I guess it's a personal preference thing. But it's worth checking it out to see if it's right for you. Some of the beginner tutorials on their youtube channel are a useful thing to watch to get an idea of the workflow. 

Edit: Hmm.. I kind of want to start an Unreal Engine thread on this subforum now. It would be cool to have a place to share tips/tricks/cheat codes/etc.

Yea, one of the tantalizing UE4 carrots is the lighting, Unity Free has ridiculously stripped down lighting/shadow. (and as you said, material editor out of the box)

The terrain + road tools look interesting. And they are developing UE4 to be pretty dynamic and support games like Fortnite, which also features buildings with tons of geometry. in contrast, Campo Santo, for Firewatch they are extending Unity with a lot of stuff from the asset store and I'm not so keen on going on a spending spree at the moment. Of course they're using Unity pro as well.

So for the time being this video has audio from the Top Gear episode I was watching, it should eventually be replaced by some sweet ass heavy metal. 

BLOOD

As a keen user of Photoshop, in my downtime through the summer without University, i'm looking into pixel art, and trying to animate it, whats the easiest method people would recommend for this?