clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

The Flappy Jam kind of inspired me to try a vertical endless runner with a vaguely Metroidvania-ish upgrade system.

This is an awesome thread! I should post more often I guess.  I'm making a dumb game for the Flappy Jam, because why not? https://vine.co/v/M7JmeZPwQxa

Next step is to make the bird be more than just a green box.

Flappy Jam site: http://itch.io/jam/flappyjam

Looks good! I've been working on a game for the jam as well. Unfortunately I can't take a vine because it needs two hands.

http://imgur.com/a/SJJsP

Took a break from Dance Murderer to do some concepts for a thing:

QhQr7Gs.jpg

5Y9e5uI.jpg

...not very interesting concepts but eh

As far as I can tell, camera movement logic needs to be in the same kind of Update method as the movement logic of the object you are following, whatever that happens to be. Jitter seems to occur when the movement between target & camera is happening out of sync/on different Update cycles. Rigidbody physics happens on FixedUpdate, whereas if you are manually moving some object manually in code, then it's probably in Update. The right answer will be specific to a particular game.

A little late, but this gives a pretty good answer about update vs fixedupdate http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/10993/whats-the-difference-between-update-and-fixedupdat.html

This is cool. I'm currently working on a top-down thingy, and hopefully I'll have something presentable in the near future that will be of some interest to you guys.

I could use a little help since I've been fucking around for hours yesterday and did not get very far. So here's a piece of what I'm trying to do (Unity plugin required). So the little white thing is the aiming reticule, which you can move around the square, stationary playerObject with the mouse (The mouse coordinates are in world space). Now there's 2 things that are happening that I don't want:

1. The reticule is sideways and, dumbest thing, I can't figure out how to rotate it the 90 degrees required.

2. when you get to the exact vertical center line of the playerObject, be it top or bottom, the thing flips that 90 degrees. Which is how I wanted it to look. This is the code that does that rotation stuff (it's on the reticule object):

Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(playerObject.position - transform.position);
		rotation.x = 0;
		rotation.y = 0;
		transform.rotation = rotation;

I don't understand why 2 is happening and I don't understand how to do 1. I want to understand!

SOLVED! BigJKO to the rescue! LookRotation can take another variable, which:

<@BigJKO> It's setting which direction of the quad is the Up vector in the LookRotation function, i.e. the axis of the quad that should be looking at the target.  

<@BigJKO> Or rather, which axis in the Quaternion.. which you then apply to the quad

So the new code looks like this:

Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(playerObject.position - transform.position, Vector3.forward);
		rotation.x = 0;
		rotation.y = 0;
		transform.rotation = rotation;

and it works like this.

Took a break from Dance Murderer to do some concepts for a thing:

QhQr7Gs.jpg

5Y9e5uI.jpg

...not very interesting concepts but eh

Superb! Can I say - prehistoric hunting simulator? :D

Perhaps...

i9PhdY75OaM8M.gif

Implemented automatic tiling using a bitwise system. 

Saturday Night Fever starring Dr. Wiley?

Perhaps...

i9PhdY75OaM8M.gif

Implemented automatic tiling using a bitwise system. 

Cool! Though because I've never tried making a tile-based game, can I ask what 'automatic tiling' and 'bitwise' mean?

I picked up GameMaker when it was free a couple months ago, and I've been interested in creating a rhythm RPG and pinball adventure game. Seeing you guys make your stuff is inspiring.

Also:

On 2/7/2014 at 8:33 AM, voxn said:

cool thread, hope it goes places! I started dabbling with amateur game making a couple months ago -- just messing around to see what pieces I could make with no real overarching game systems in mind.

animating sprites, which I discovered is absurdly time consuming!

dialog:

6UUkWNZ.gif

The art looks incredible. Gives me the impression of a desert sci-fi thing. Keep it up b/c I'd love to see how this turns out.

Alright! A build of my Micro Machines-like thing has now surfaced. There are bugs and the steering is still weird, that's hard to figure out.. But here it is!

kristinsson.dk/tinyracing_web

Any feedback at all is welcome!

Cool! Though because I've never tried making a tile-based game, can I ask what 'automatic tiling' and 'bitwise' mean?

Instead of placing the individual tiles for the walls and floor, the game does it, checking around each wall object for other wall objects and deciding which wall tile to use.

Bitwise (in this case) I guess just means that instead of logical checks (if there's a wall above me, then something something, else something something) it uses a mathematical approach directly supported by low level computations (or something). The system I'm using assigns numerical values to each direction, adds the numbers to a score, which ends up being a unique number that maps to a specific tile, which fits the type of object.

Read more from someone who explains it a whole lot better: http://www.saltgames.com/2010/a-bitwise-method-for-applying-tilemaps/

EDIT: not too sure about my understanding of "bitwise" now. It might just be about the way that wall presence is binary.

@voxn: sick art!

Instead of placing the individual tiles for the walls and floor, the game does it, checking around each wall object for other wall objects and deciding which wall tile to use.

Bitwise (in this case) I guess just means that instead of logical checks (if there's a wall above me, then something something, else something something) it uses a mathematical approach directly supported by low level computations (or something). The system I'm using assigns numerical values to each direction, adds the numbers to a score, which ends up being a unique number that maps to a specific tile, which fits the type of object.

Read more from someone who explains it a whole lot better: http://www.saltgames.com/2010/a-bitwise-method-for-applying-tilemaps/

EDIT: not too sure about my understanding of "bitwise" now. It might just be about the way that wall presence is binary.

@voxn: sick art!

Thanks!

"Bitwise" operations are ones that use special bitwise operators for figuring things out, and take advantage of the fact that a number in code is just 0s and 1s. You can think about it as switches on a switchboard:

decimal  binary
1        0001    // the first bit is switched "on"
2        0010    // the second bit is switched "on"
3        0011    // both the first and second bits are switched "on"

In this case, the tilemap code is using a number as a bitwise flag to describe what a tile needs to look like on a tilemap, and the four switches are "stone above", "stone to the right", "stone below" and "stone to the left." The code uses a bitwise operator to create the description of what is needed for a particular tile:

var tileVal = 0;
if there is stone above:
    tileVal = tileVal | 1; // tileVal will equal 0001
if there is stone to the right:
    tileVal = tileVal | 2; // tileVal will equal 0011 if there was stone above, or 0010 if not

and then will use that tileVal to grab the tile that looks correct for that situation (eg. when there's stone above and to the right).

Just found out about this thread, it's awesome :D I'll hopefully visit back every now and then to see if I can help out!

Alright! A build of my Micro Machines-like thing has now surfaced. There are bugs and the steering is still weird, that's hard to figure out.. But here it is!

kristinsson.dk/tinyracing_web

Any feedback at all is welcome!

That is super-slick looking! I'd be very happy if the controls were a bit less floaty though (less inertia I guess).