clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

As I'm learning how to create objects , translate, rotate, and scale them in the scene, all I can think is how much cooler this would be if I was using an Oculus Rift.

Unity is the VR world I was promised.

I'm trying to learn Unity. I'm not very far in the learning process. I'll probably creep on this thread/thing for a while.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hi, long time listener, new forum member. 

I'd be into this as long as the deadlines aren't super strict. I'm studying Computer Science at school with a concentration in game design and development. I would be willing to volunteer my services to anyone who needs a programmer. Also, I've worked on a few projects previously as well as many small recreations of classic games by my lonesome. I'm familiar with a few different languages. 

I've never actually joined a forum before, always just lurk and read topics, am I doing this wrong? lol

I think at the moment we're just talking about hanging out together on occasion and helping out/chatting. If we get a group of people of about equal skill levels, we might make some sort of official project later.

Edit: I'm hopping onto the hangout now

No one's on yet so I'm going to grab myself some lunch really quick and be back.

Yup! I got the 3.0 version of that book a few years ago. Is there a version of it for Unity 4.0? Looks like no :(

Looks like Will says that he is putting addendums to the book for the 4.0+ versions of the editor on his site (http://unitybook.net/) while he works on the 4.0 version! Really I think everything in the programming sections of the book will be fine unaltered. The real differences are in the new animation and particle systems (mecanim and shuriken respectively). The current version of the book covers what are now considered to be "legacy" systems for those 2 facets.  

Nice, I might pick up the kindle version of the 3.0 book while I wait for the 4.0. Any ETA on that?

So are we meeting up on the hangout or...? Me and Twig are alone up in there,

We're pretty sick at this online meetup thing, guys!

Skidooooooo.  :fart:

Sorry, I was there for an hour and a half and no one showed. I'll be back on shortly.

Edit: And now it's empty again. :(

I shouldn't have given in to the siren's call of BF4.

We're all terrible. Also I just started a game of dota so I can't come now. WE'RE ALL AWESOME.

I was in the hangout for ~15 minutes but then I had to leave for a job interview. I'm back now, but it's just me and dewar, and I don't really know what I'm doing, so there isn't a whole lot going on.

Yep.

I think we should just use IRC and idle in that all day every day but that's just my preferred way to communicate on the internet so what do I know.

I'm basically incapable of communicating through text over the internet. Then again it's not like I'm contributing much to the hangout so maybe don't listen to me either? But actually, the hangout seems pretty cool if there are people there.

is this game done yet

Yes, you missed it.

I'm basically incapable of communicating through text over the internet.

can you please hire a translator i have no idea what you're saying here

can you please hire a translator i have no idea what you're saying here

I think you have identified the problem I have? Maybe if you ever don't understand something I say, pretend I said nothing at all.

Hey, I'm up to learn if I can fit it into my crazy college schedule. I'm mostly interested at experimenting with game mechanics and concepts, most likely in 2D. I have some programing experience, so I'm comfortable with learning anything. Is gamemaker the best for fast prototyping of 2D games? Also, would it allow new unique mechanics, or is it mostly designed for standard mechanics.

One Idea I'm interested at looking at is some sort of 2D sailing game. If I can make the movement fun yet minimal (sort of like Tennes accomplished for tennis), I may expand it to something with combat, racing, or such.

Also, another thought I had was of a 2D platformer where platforms and such would be toggled by a press of the button, so you would have to switch as you jump around. Then, further switching constraints could be made, such as switches occurring every time you jump. Obviously this idea is easier, but I'm not sure where to take it in level design terms.

I think you have identified the problem I have? Maybe if you ever don't understand something I say, pretend I said nothing at all.

wait what i swear i'm reading words here but they have no meaning ):

In other words, everything you've said is perfectly understandable. I have no idea where you get the idea that it's not. U:

We managed to get 6 people in there at once today. It was really fun paging around and taking a look at people's art and such. I'm definitely into making this an every-Sunday affair (since my wife works that day I have plenty of time,) but would also be interested in showing up whenever would be good for folks.

Yep.

I think we should just use IRC and idle in that all day every day but that's just my preferred way to communicate on the internet so what do I know.

The main advantage of Google is using screen share, even if you're just gonna chat over text and not use audio.

The main advantage of Google is using screen share, even if you're just gonna chat over text and not use audio.

The main advantage of IRC is that it is a constantly existing thing and there's no need to plan out some great meeting. If you want to share something or talk about something, just drop a link or line of text and voila, anyone who's in there will see it eventually.

I also don't like Google Hangouts as a communication apparatus. It's ugly.

But also there's no reason we can't have both...

My experience with IRC hasn't been too hot, but I'm willing to give it another go. What client do people prefer these days?