Sign in to follow this  
Niyeaux

The Elder Scrolls Online free-to-play betting pool!

Interesting that it's not going F2P, just B2P. It makes me feel a little better about my purchase so long ago, but I wonder how much is going to be behind another pay wall.

It's not free to play yet, so betting pool is still open?

edit: November of 2015 it'll be F2P, within 5 days of it being half a year from going B2P.

I think the B2P model is a good one - it means your cash store can be fairly reasonable because you have that revenue stream from box purchases. GW2's cash store with built in gold-to-premium currency converter is... well it could be better, but it doesn't have to use 'fun pain' (i.e. pain) to encourage players to pony up. 

GW2 is brilliantly designed in every way as far as i'm concerned with MMOs, the way they gated gear, avoided creep, avoided having to balance pvp & pve stats. 

There's a few things I think they dropped the ball on - it's taken them a long time to get PvP to a healthy state, although they're preparing a ladder system that I think will be the cherry on top; WvW has grown stagnant thanks to serious neglect; and there's very little content that really pushes the limits of their combat system, although there's smatterings of it here and there, particularly in Dry Top, Silverwastes and in some of the festival content.

But it's an MMO that can, honest-to-god, be played casually, and it sounds like what they want to do with the expansion is really address some of the long-standing issues.

I don't have many complaints about the PvE stuff. I think the way they've stuck to keeping most of their focus on open world play is really admirable, and that they have generally balanced that well. The stuff that really pushed the limits of combat mechanics seems a bit less successful. I'm thinking of Teq & Triple Trouble. Teq took a long time, and a concerted cross server guild organization to figure out, and still it requires everyone to gather on one server to finish. I know people have, but I've never finished TT, or seen a group really try. The end of Season 1 with Scarlet seemed well balanced to me. Finishing that whole raid wasn't easy, but by the end of the month it was happening in several instances at once. I think that is an ideal curve. I don't think I was ever in a group that got the hard achievement on that.

I like the way the last few story patches have added hard modes.

I haven't done much WvW except karma farming in edge to finish my legendary. I would agree that the big map stuff isn't great, and I sort of don't see the point, but I've had some fun huge edge fights.

I actually just start sPvPing to get more clovers super casual for a 2nd weapon. I'm digging it.

I asked this on the random thought gaming thread, but I figure I'll ask it here since it's the topic on hand -

Does anyone on these forums play Guild Wars 2? If so, do you have any suggestions for a guild to join? My wife and I formed a guild when we first started playing for our friends, but most of them have dropped off the radar and we'd like to join one that potentially has some Thumbs or at least a good community.

i'm in a pretty active guild i could add you to. people are generally nice and helpful, also not all dudes. they're legit randoms to me though, and sometimes the language on Teamspeak gets a little "gamery" for my taste. it's a second guild, after my main guild of people from my main forum of punx petered out. everyone is nice, but it's not like deliberately progressive. 

I'd have to look up my account but my main character names are Bombraid, Zigyaku, or Krakdown if you want to message me! 

Apparently my guild isn't going into meltdown, they just lost a few of their senior people at once for varying reasons. Anyway I'm on Synka Dynmerus usually (hopefully at some point I'll have some spare gold around to make that name fit the asura naming scheme), and my account is Merus.9475. I'm happy to show you cool things as you're exploring around.

7 minutes ago, Jutranjo said:

I ended up buying this for 10 euro on steam, anyone still playing?

I bought it and I'm enjoying it. I'm not an mmo player so the other players killing my targets is actually a bit distracting as I explore the world (through the quest-chain) and check out these visual-novel esque short-stories.

I'm a Khajit Nightblade in the Dominion.

I'm a dunmer nightblade in the pact, I think we can group up regardless? Is there a europe/US server split here?

I am pretty sure I'm on a U.S. server.

To be honest I'm not sure that I want to play this game with anyone. I don't enjoy the combat, loot, crafting, or merchantilism at all. I'm just moving through quests and finding out that everyone in town has a peculiar story.

I don't know anything about mmo's though. I hear people talk about going on raids but I have no idea what would be fun about raiding. I'm open to trying something out, but I'm not willing to put much effort in or committing to much.